Reply to this topicStart new topic
29-30 August 2007 Icy Satellites (rev 49), Last stop on the road to Iapetus
Exploitcorporati...
post Aug 9 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #1

SewingMachine

Group: Members
Member No.: 510

CICLOPS' Rev 49 Looking Ahead page is up. Highlights include a fourth monthy Voyager-class encounter with Tethys with 500m resolution over Odysseus (finally!)
Detailed mosaics of Rhea's prominent ray crater and points west are on tap for Old Scabby's second closeup. This should be a really cool periapsis passage to tide us over until the 10th of September.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 9 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

Darn it, I'm kind of disappointed. I was expecting to see another one of your neat icy moon collages here. biggrin.gif

Onward to Iapetus!

(... oh well, Rhea, too *yawn* ... )

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 9 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I should that our Rev49 preview does not include the Iapetus encounter. Basically, it was decided to split up Rev49 since too many cool things were going on for them all to be done justice. So this preview covers the encounters around periapse up through Sept. 5 or so. We will publish an extra special Looking Ahead article just for the Iapetus flyby.

ugordan, LOL, so I guess if Rhea put on some dark makeup on her leading hemisphere and wore some equatorial jewelry, it would be "Onward to Rhea!" hmph, I guess Rhea will just never be as cool as her oblate twin sister, Iapetus.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Aug 9 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #4

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

Ooooh...double burn!!! laugh.gif

I've been taking belly dancing classes..."Equatorial Jewelry" has multiple possible connotations and would be an excellent name for a band as well.

Really looking foreward to seeing that whole crater and how old it actually is. Judging from the single WAC frame from 2005 of that area, Rhea is a lot more interesting on small scales than she looks from afar.

Gordan, a Hyperion multi-angle composite should be up tomorrow. smile.gif

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Aug 10 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 627

Gosh.... I second the darn it!!!!!!!

As soon as I see Exploitcorporations, I jump!!!!!! biggrin.gif

I had an old friend who was a belly dancer... she would have appreciated Equatorial Jewelry... and Iapetus. smile.gif

Truly look forward to Hyperion as done up by Exploitcorporations.

Craig

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Aug 10 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1638

Latest Looking Ahead update is now available:

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=3392

Features:

* Solar conjunction
* Stereo coverage of Tethys' Odysseus basin
* Targeted Rhea flyby focusing on its fresh impact crater
* T35 (3,302 km)
* Start of Iapetus encounter

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 10 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Aug 10 2007, 12:03 AM) *
ugordan, LOL, so I guess if Rhea put on some dark makeup on her leading hemisphere and wore some equatorial jewelry, it would be "Onward to Rhea!" hmph, I guess Rhea will just never be as cool as her oblate twin sister, Iapetus.
As a matter of fact, yes.

We know they're both geologically as dead as the Monty Python parrot is, but at least Iapetus wears "makeup" and sports a strange figure. Rhea is just plain... dull. Oh, that and we already got a sh*tload of close Rhea images. Last time we flew close to Iapetus, we found unexpected stuff. What interesting bit have we found at Rhea yet?

Nothing to see here people, move along...

--------------------

+Quote Post
OWW
post Aug 10 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 99

I think this dutch proverb is very appropriate:

"Even if a monkey wears a golden ring, it is and remains an ugly thing"

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Aug 10 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 426

I don't often actually laugh out loud at things I see on the Internet, but EC's characterization of Rhea as "Old Scabby" at the top of this thread did the job.

As for Rhea vs. Iapetus -- There's no doubt that currently-active bodies will always be most interesting, but, failing that, ancient activity trumps no activity at all. (Unless the absence of activity is interesting in itself, of course -- but while that might be the case for Mimas, it ain't so for Rhea.)

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Aug 11 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 174

Hey.. let's not give poor Rhea a hard time. She can't help looking like the ultimate battered wife.

Actually, Rhea IS interesting, but in horrendously subtle ways. Even the Voyager 1 close pass mosaics showed subtle lineaments of crater edges and features that simply aren't due to lighting effects <lighting CAN cause spureous lineations to appear> Something's "interesting" about the way Rhea responds to battering. Something makes the whispy features visible on the trailing side, only partially revealed to be due to subtle dione/tethys like fracturing.

It's a shame Rhea, the largest of Saturn's iceballs, isn't something semi-spectacular like Aerial at Uranus, but that's the breaks!

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 31 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #11

Some raws from the Rhea encounter are now up (hopefully some of the Tethys stuff a little later biggrin.gif )
http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=66

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=3705 shows the interior of the "young" ray crater. Not quite that young it would seem. [EDIT: not that isn't... but http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=3713 is]

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 31 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Huh. This image seems to show a lobate flow with striations near the top center...interesting! (Can't believe that I just used the word "interesting" with respect to Rhea, but that's what exploration is all about... smile.gif )

EDIT: Whoa! Look at this bright albedo feature with the dark spot! It actually looks young! Might have to drop the I-word & go with the F-word (fascinating!)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 31 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #13

I'm confused, I don't see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Aug 31 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Aug 31 2007, 08:03 AM) *
I'm confused, I don't see it.

Neither do I.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 31 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Aug 31 2007, 06:22 PM) *
Not quite that young it would seem.
To the untrained (and low-phase-confused) eye, that would appear to be pretty young terrain. It looks almost as young as some of Enceladus' surface.

I think nprev's talking about the small double crater at top center, in the brightest portion of the image. It's got a darker floor which I'd personally attribute to shading instead of albedo difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:49 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.