Closed TopicStart new topic
Mars Live - Phoenix Coverage, Shameless plug
djellison
post May 20 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Myself, Chris Lintott, and Peter Grindrod will be gathering at Sir Patrick Moore's house, Farthings in Selsey, on Sunday afternoon. The four of us will be Blogging, uStreaming and Youtubing our way through the night, pulling together any and every source of information we can find, previewing the events of the evening, and hopefully filling the gaps between NASA TV coverage. I'll also be making sure we 'stand down' during Emily's hour at JPL, as frankly, I want to watch it myself!

We've set up a blog to preview events and to be a home for the content we come up with on the big night - hopefully some of you will pop in and pass comment through the night! We will have more details closer to the time at http://www.marslive.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post May 20 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Guests

Will be there, virtually, and... munch, munch!

Congratulations on watching it together with Sir Patrick.

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 20 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #3

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Oh good, ANOTHER website to keep an eye on on landing night! I was starting to worry I would get bored with just the six I already have bookmarked... laugh.gif

Sounds excellent, I'll definitely look in regularly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 20 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

This might be a good place for a comprehensive list of all those links for landing day.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 20 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

I'm old enough to remember when UMSF was all you needed.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 20 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #6

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 20 2008, 11:02 PM) *
This might be a good place for a comprehensive list of all those links for landing day.

Well, here's what I've got so far...

Phoenix Mars Landing Real-Time Simulation

Twitter MarsPhoenix

NASA - Phoenix Landing Blog

NASA TV

The Planetary Society Blog

Phoenix Mars Mission

Mars Live

To add to this list will be the site for Emily's live video chat, of course.

Not saying these are all websites everyone should check on the night; just letting people know what's out there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tim53
post May 20 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1022

I will be bringing my latest landing site map with me to the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference - Astronomy Expo in Big Bear, CA (Camp Oakes) this weekend.

The hope is that we'll be able to let people put postits on the map where they think the lander will land, and win a poster or some other non-commercial-endorsement-by-NASA prizes for the person who picks the closest site to the actual landing site.

Of course, this presupposes we'll know by late Sunday evening where the lander touched down. The Conference ends Sunday night/Monday morning.

For those people interested in telescopes and camping out under the stars (and the moon!), logistics can be found on their website: http://www.rtmcastronomyexpo.org/

-Tim.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 21 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Gonna stay home, crack me a few cold ones, and watch 7 websites & TV simultaneously. (Clearly, the beer is a must-have, and lots of it; multiple vision WILL be required!!!) tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 21 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #9

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Nprev, the biggest drawback to watching the mission from JPL is that I won't be able to crack a cold one. I may have to schedule an escape from the press room with a few other people for a little pick-me-up some time in the long day. Or after.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 21 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Well, if it gets to be too much for you, give me a yell; I'll be in a cab to Pasadena with a cooler! tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dmuller
post May 21 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4093

Other than where you follow it, I'm just wondering when you all follow it ... when does the landing occur in your mind and imagination? Clearly NASA TV will be on Earth Received Time, but your mind (and the real-time simulation) can be tuned to Spacecraft event time (so far I see about an even split between ERT and SCET on the simulation).

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 21 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #12

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Whenever I follow a critical mission event I'm always acutely aware of the difference between spacecraft event time and earth received time. When we're waiting for news of a deployment or chute jettison or some such, I'm always imagining the spacecraft, and imagining the information from the spacecraft winging its way across the vast reaches of space, and I'm even imagining myself sitting there at the same time that the spacecraft is doing its thing and the radio information is flying along....to the point that it can take a major effort to bring myself back to reality. In fact, I'm already halfway in that state, feeling like my brain is with Phoenix, and just loosely connected to my body, which is, meanwhile, going through the motions of everyday existence. Fortunately I've bathed, dressed, and fed my daughter enough times that I can do it in such a state -- and she's young enough not to notice how "spaced out" I am!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 21 2008, 05:02 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 15

Ah, but... this whole discussion depends on accepting the concept of simultaneity. And in a relativistic universe, there is no such animal.

Until and unless anyone figures out how to propogate information faster than C, as far as our perceptions are concerned, nothing "occurs" until we perceive it.

So I'm an ERT kind of guy. I just don't accept that simultaneity is a valid concept... rolleyes.gif

edit: To put it more clearly, I don't think of events at Mars as happening ten minutes ago. I think of them as happening ten light-minutes away. For me, it's a function of distance, not time.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
climber
post May 21 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 21 2008, 07:02 AM) *
edit: To put it more clearly, I don't think of events at Mars as happening ten minutes ago. I think of them as happening ten light-minutes away. For me, it's a function of distance, not time.
-the other Doug

Bottom line is : when we see it starts, it's already over. That's the power of imagination over physic laws smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 21 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #15

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Here's how I'm going to play it. On spacecraft time, I'm going to run the HUD animation, think about what's happening (whilst keeping an ear on NTV ). I want to use that time to act as a 'preview' if you will. But - then - whilst we get the Odyssey coverage, in my mind I'll be thinking 'well - it's all over one way or another' - but my attention will be firmly on following events in 'real time', 'real' being ERT.

Doug

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.