32 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Apollo Sites from LRO
charborob
post Jul 18 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 3908

Here's an interesting view: a crop of the Apollo 16 image showing North Ray crater and House Rock (in the center of the image). For me, one of the highlights of the whole Apollo expeditions.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 18 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 13

Maybe they'll wait until they get even closer to look in earnest, but one of the science goals of reimaging the sites also photographed at close range by the Apollo cameras is to look for evidence of fresh impacts, to get a handle on how often they occur & quantify the risk to a moon base.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 18 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #48

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 17 2009, 04:47 PM) *
one of the science goals of reimaging the sites also photographed at close range by the Apollo cameras is to look for evidence of fresh impacts,

Imagine the reaction after all this talk about historical preservation, if we finally got a look at the A11 site and it was occupied by a large fresh new crater and nothing else. Fortunately that didn't happen (yet).

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 18 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #49

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

One of my nightmares, too.

Fortunately, I'm optimistic that the meter-thick transparent artificial diamond dome over the entire site will be completed on schedule by the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2329... rolleyes.gif

EDIT: It is my sad duty to report the passing today of legendary newsman Walter Cronkite, who was iconic to US viewers as the face of TV coverage for the Apollo 11 flight. How bitterly ironic. sad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post Jul 18 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 4172

Another attempt on the A11 image, using GIMP's Destripe filter and two runs of the NEDI upscaling algorithm:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 18 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 17 2009, 08:58 PM) *
EDIT: It is also my sad duty to report the passing today of legendary newsman Walter Cronkite, who was iconic to US viewers as the face of TV coverage for the Apollo 11 flight. How bitterly ironic. sad.gif

Well, I can say I heard it first on UMSF.

<taking off glasses>

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Jul 18 2009, 01:08 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 4177

One of LRO's goals is to characterize possible future unmanned and manned landing sites - what constitutes a hazard and where are you pretty much guaranteed to drop something in comfortably. Looking at the Apollo 11 approach, I wonder if such a characterization would not include the area before Baby West. It's clear that Armstrong looked there and changed his mind to overfly the last crater (not a small risk in itself), but I can't see anything at this rez which should hurt a landing. We need the higher resolution from the lower orbits of course, but I wonder what this will do to landing zone criteria or if it will just start silly debates and Monday morning (40 years later) quarterbacking, which I am endeavoring not to do here. rolleyes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Jul 18 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #53

QUOTE (charborob)
Here's an interesting view: a crop of the Apollo 16 image showing North Ray crater and House Rock ...

That is stupendous! I think that when all of the sites are shot and processed to their best, it will be a very great pleasure to put on a DVD and watch the EVAs with these images on hand. Perhaps someone will generate a really fine quality 3d environment from them and we can even, one day, walk along with those explorers.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 18 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 15

Paul, I think I see a higher population of boulders in the relatively clear area you've outlined than in the area where the LM is located. And seeing as there are fewer boulders visible on the rim and ramparts of West in the LROC image than can be seen on the descent film, I'd imagine that the actual boulder population short of Little West was the determinant in Neil's choice to continue on downrange.

IIRC, you can see the boulder population throughout that area short of Little West in the descent film, and it seems to me that it was the natural outlying fan of ejecta from West. I can certainly understand if Neil, seeing the boulder field thin out, would want to overfly the ejecta field entirely.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Jul 18 2009, 01:39 AM
Post #55

Very good point. So it will be interesting when the highest resolution images come down of that area before Little West to see if those boulders are visible. If not, then how do you characterize a safe landing site from these images?

I've seen a paper somewhere (wish I could remember) describing a system with LIDAR images that are scanned and analyzed automatically for safe zones - perhaps you put in some smarts that adds a buffer to ejecta blankets (call the routine ArmstrongSmarts)?

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 18 2009, 01:54 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 1241

Jekbradury...awesome de-stripe-ing!!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 18 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 17 2009, 12:55 PM) *
It'll get better, but for now I'm really happy just to see these old friends from my youth again. smile.gif

On this day, of all days, Walter Cronkite dies... crazy!

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Jul 18 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 758

Armstrong's said something like that the auto-targeting was taking them into a boulder strewn crater. And a pilot's adage "When in doubt, land long." He did land long, and that worked just fine, thank you very much. If Eagle had been a robot, she would have gone down in that crater, likely to no good end...

Also rememebr that at that point in their descent (you'd have to overlay the ground track under the altitude and velocity profile) they were not in a hover and still had some horizontal velocity to shed. So old Neil put the descent engine thrust more vertical and flew Eagle to a better spot. I guess he was right! :-)

These are fantastic photos and I am enjoying this side discussion very much.

Rob

+Quote Post
Paul Fjeld
post Jul 18 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #59

No question he was right! My interest is in how LRO data will characterize an area we know a person would not consider good - are half-meter boulders okay? Armstrong thought not, even though he had already gone past the serious danger of the big West's boulder field and had shed most of his forward velocity by the time he arrived near Little West.

+Quote Post
robspace54
post Jul 18 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 758

I found these scans on the Apollo Surface Journal...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.