IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Asteroid approach, Science operations begin!
nprev
post Oct 20 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #181

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Outstanding!

One of the best parts of watching these live is seeing the joy of the team as years of hard work come to fruition. smile.gif Congratulations to the people of OSIRIS-REx!!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Oct 20 2020, 10:49 PM
Post #182

Forum Contributor

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Awesome. Now to see if they got enough sample.

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 20 2020, 11:17 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 7860

Exciting !!!

From the NASA website:

"The team can’t wait to receive the imagery from the TAG event late tonight and see how the surface of Bennu responded to the TAG event.”

“Our first indication of whether we were successful in collecting a sample will come on October 21 when we downlink the back-away movie from the spacecraft,” Moreau said. “If TAG made a significant disturbance of the surface, we likely collected a lot of material.”

"All spacecraft telemetry data indicates the TAG event executed as expected. However, it will take about a week for the OSIRIS-REx team to confirm how much sample the spacecraft collected."

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Oct 20 2020, 11:18 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 8250

Anyone have insight into why contact time (2020-10-20 21:50:10) from recent SPICE file
( orx_200827_201103_201019_od292-N-T1D-L-T1R1_v1.bsp )
was a 3 minutes off from actual time which was listed (with added light delay) in a press release on 10/14?

MEDIA ADVISORY M20-113 shows 6:12 p.m. EDT as collection time, -18.52min light travel time gives 21:53 UTC.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 21 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 497

Data flowing to the DSN at 900 kbps. Press conference at 2 PM PDT today (10/21) on NASA TV.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 21 2020, 09:11 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 5221

IMAGES UP:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2020/o...asteroid-bennu/

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 21 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #187

"Upon initial contact, the TAGSAM head appears to crush some of the porous rocks underneath it." (from here)

Dark porous rock crushed by the TAGSAM head (I think so):
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 22 2020, 02:59 AM
Post #188

Member No.: 152

Aligned on the ground:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
abalone
post Oct 22 2020, 04:34 AM
Post #189

Member No.: 409

Good spray of material with the nitrogen blast. This is what they were looking for to indicate a good potential for a sample

https://youtu.be/LJBv4reH9IU

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Oct 22 2020, 07:59 AM
Post #190

Here is a re-timed version of TAG images, running about 2-3x realtime. https://youtu.be/6X10esr6Snw

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 22 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #191

Member No.: 5221

The dark shadow of the debris cloud is especially impressive towards the end.
Would any images of the site taken later on to see surface changes? The official website says they are not returning to the vicinity if there is enough sample collected.
After successful stowage, the spacecraft will be put in a slow drift away from Bennu to a safe distance, where it will stay until its departure in March 2021 for the Return Cruise Phase back to Earth.

From: https://www.asteroidmission.org/asteroid-operations/

It seems that any scientific benefit to observing the excavated subsurface is outweighed by spacecraft safety?

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 22 2020, 02:56 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 117

I'm having a little trouble understanding the dark background, starting the instant the gas is released and debris starts flying. Is the debris cloud so dense that it instantaneously blocks almost all sunlight from reaching the ground below? I guess that's the case, but it seems surprising. And then why is there such a well-defined edge to the shadow in the final frames? Why does the debris cloud have sharp enough edge to cast a shadow like that?

John

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post Oct 22 2020, 04:31 PM
Post #193

QUOTE (john_s @ Oct 22 2020, 07:56 AM) *
And then why is there such a well-defined edge to the shadow in the final frames? Why does the debris cloud have sharp enough edge to cast a shadow like that?

I assumed the sharp edge shadow at the end was from the rim of the crater that was just created. Would be nice if more images from high up get released before proprietary times up.

I wonder if Bennu is so loosely packed, the a spacecraft could bore a hole all the way through, if it had a sufficient gas supply.

+Quote Post
neo56
post Oct 22 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 79

I'm asking the same question John. Some people suggest a crater could have formed due to nitrogen gas expulsion. Wait and see!
By the way, I played myself with the sequence of TAG images. Here I aligned on the ground several pictures taken when OSIRIS-REx moved away from Bennu:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasappere/...292028/sizes/o/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcin600
post Oct 22 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #195

Since the shadows in the pictures are to the right of the stones (and not on the left), it seems to me that this big sharp shadow is caused by an object protruding above the surface - such as a nearby large boulder (located to the left and "up" from the field of view).
If it were a depression (the alleged crater), we would see its slope illuminated rather than shaded (shade opposite to that of stones).

So I think it's a big boulder and not a "crater".

All this is combined with a "fuzzy shadow" of a great mass of debris carried away by nitrogen and - above all - by the ship's engines

(picture "borrowed" from neo56)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.