We're Going Too!
odave
post Sep 16 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 209

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 16 2005, 10:32 AM)

Neat.

In the "Mathematical Definitions" image, I've never seen the binary digit zero represented as a dash. Is that something that's common, or is it just to distinguish it from the base-10 zero for the Voyager record?

--------------------
--O'Dave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Sep 17 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (odave @ Sep 16 2005, 10:28 AM)
Neat.

In the "Mathematical Definitions" image, I've never seen the binary digit zero represented as a dash.  Is that something that's common, or is it just to distinguish it from the base-10 zero for the Voyager record?

I can't say on the number question, but if you look at the image where they
show a diagram of DNA:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/images/image016.gif

The base Cytosine is symolized with an S instead of the usual C because they did not want the ETI to confuse it with the carbon in this diagram:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/images/image014.gif

You can read about the decision and other interesting facts in the choosing of the images in the 1978 book, Murmurs of Earth. You can find it sometimes on eBay and at used bookstores with a decent science section. Definitely worth it.

If anything, this book should be online. I know they came out with a CD-ROM of all the items on the Record in 1992, but the disc is already incompatible with modern equipment.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
aharris
post Sep 18 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 459

QUOTE (Marcel @ Sep 14 2005, 08:05 AM)
And my twingirls too.....they'll be 12 by then.

I put my triplets in there. They're currently 4, so I think it will be a real thrill for them when the probe arrives to know that their names are on it!

--------------------
--- Andy Harris

+Quote Post
remcook
post Sep 23 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #34

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Just beat doug: 1018 smile.gif

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 24 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (remcook @ Sep 23 2005, 11:45 AM)
Just beat doug: 1018 smile.gif

And me... I'm 1047.... I call "shotgun!" tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Sep 24 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #36

Guests

So you are sending your ex-wife to Pluto abalone?
I sent my lil missus to Mars long ago, her name on the 2.5 million spot of the total ~3.5 million so this about the MER rovers are a bit of a family business to us. wink.gif

+Quote Post
um3k
post Sep 24 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 372

I've got certificate number 471. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
post Sep 24 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 499

578, not that bad. wink.gif

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 25 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 24 2005, 01:06 PM)
578, not that bad. wink.gif

I envy all of you. Assuming nothing goes wrong during launch or the cruise to Pluto or a KBO, your names will literally travel 'across the stars' (to borrow the title of one of John Williams' music themes from, um, Star Wars Episode II). A million years from now, that is. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 26 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (punkboi @ Oct 25 2005, 01:32 PM)
I envy all of you.  Assuming nothing goes wrong during launch or the cruise to Pluto or a KBO, your names will literally travel 'across the stars' (to borrow the title of one of John Williams' music themes from, um, Star Wars Episode II).  A million years from now, that is.  biggrin.gif

Actually they will all be gone, destroyed by cosmic radiation, in about 200 years, tops.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 26 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Oct 26 2005, 06:31 AM)
Actually they will all be gone, destroyed by cosmic radiation, in about 200 years, tops.

?

Well- Nice to know your names will be traveling across the stars for at least 100 years. And NH should obviously be out of the solar system within 50 years.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Dec 16 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #42

430,000 names are onboard New Horizons...and not one of them is mine.

smile.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Dec 17 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #43

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

My and my family's names are on there, and the cat too ( Squeakie Cat ).

+Quote Post
konangrit
post Feb 27 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 704

Is it still possible to download the certificates? The HDD I had these stored on is now dead. I was intending to surprise my young (then) niece with her certificate when New Horizons passed Pluto.

The old link "http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/ecard/certificate/searchName.php" is dead and I can't find any other links. I tried the Internet Archive but it says "access to http://pluto.jhuapl.edu has been blocked by the site owner".

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 27 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 5221

Seconding this. I printed it out ages ago but can't find mine anymore. I remember one could search for specific names too.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.