64 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
alan
post Feb 14 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Thanks for that program. I now have the entire Spirit set, it took TWO DAYS on my cable modem to download it. A way to pause it inthe middle of a download woud be useful. I think the stall may be an issue with the operating system. It took nearly four hours to construct all the image with the CPU maxed out. (I checked the task manager when I noticed how slow the cursor was moving) I thnk the operating system decided it was in a continuous loop and brought it to a halt. I used the advanced image update like you suggested and it finished it without any trouble.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 14 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #32

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

> I thnk the operating system decided it was in a continuous loop and brought it to a halt.

Hmmm. I wonder. I suspect there's some actual problem with program somewhere but it's pretty weird and elusive... I'll take another look for it when I have a chance. I've never noticed it doing daily updates, just the big ones, so I suspect it may be related to memory usage. unsure.gif

Mike

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Feb 15 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (mhoward @ Feb 12 2005, 03:35 PM)
> Is there any way to save a slide show into .mov or .mpg format yet?

Not yet, but it's something I've been working on occassionally, see here:
http://homepage.mac.com/michaelhoward/rovermovies/

> Another 'wish' feature...ability to specify a single day to download, not just a 'from' date...so I can pick just one day (would have made it much easier to get the March 11 Oppy images of the Deimos eclispse...)

This'll be in v1.0.1

Mike

two more wishes for v1.0.1...

1. ability to use dates when reforcing the 'generate fc/an images'. I wanted to try tweaking the Pancam anaglyph settings and only check the last couple of days worth, but it looked through all the folders I had to that point.

2. ability to set a greater than / less than file size, so I can skip the <10k images and go do them all at the same time at a later date (I want to be able to monitor the sun images eventually when I get all of them back to SOL 1.

Also, in the advance settings, I want to add the L0R0 to the anaglyph types (I did add it but it didn't generate any using those images). Do I need to set the 'max anaglyph types' to 2?

I bet you weren't expected such an explosion of requests!

Thanks in advance,

Eric P / MizarKey

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
cIclops
post Feb 15 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 161

i'm pleased to report that Midnight browser is still working fine after two sols on my machine. now of course i have even more suggestions:

o zoom in for higher resolution images (and or export to external viewer)

o allow the image filename to be copied (for reference)

o did i mention open sourcing the code so improvements and fixes can be
made quicker?

thanks once again for such a useful tool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nix
post Feb 15 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #35

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

The program is suddenly stalling on my machine.
Should I get another version of Java?
I does still work, just sometimes it doesn't and I'm getting this;
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 15 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (NIX @ Feb 15 2005, 11:34 AM)

Let me take a look at that, see what could be going on. I'll get back to you maybe later today.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 15 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (cIclops @ Feb 15 2005, 09:30 AM)
i'm pleased to report that Midnight browser is still working fine after two sols on my machine. now of course i have even more suggestions:

o zoom in for higher resolution images (and or export to external viewer)

o allow the image filename to be copied (for reference)

o did i mention open sourcing the code so improvements and fixes can be
made quicker?

thanks once again for such a useful tool!

> did i mention open sourcing the code so improvements and fixes can be
made quicker?

I'm thinking about that... I guess my biggest worry is it might make even more work for me. I wonder, if I were to open-source it, how many people out there would actually do anything with it?

As for the other things, those are some good suggestions, I'll fit as many into 1.0.1 as I can (probably not all of them, obviously).

+Quote Post
Bubbinski
post Feb 15 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 167

I'll second the zoom in feature - also it would be good if I could export images to Paint Shop Pro or some other software at the click of a button. (That would be good if I wanted to make a panorama, for example).

Also I've been able to download the Spirit Sol 398 images but am having a devil of a time trying to make anaglyphs/color images out of them. For the last 2 days, the update is stuck on "Making false color image 2P158058596EFF_fcL247.jpg" - maybe I'll change a filter setting to avoid making 2-4-7 images for now and see if I can get the thing unstuck.

--------------------
- My signature idea machine is busted right now.

+Quote Post
Bubbinski
post Feb 15 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 167

I took out the L2L4L7 filter spec and then the Midnight Mars Browser choked on an L257 image. Just sat there and did nothing. So I took a different tack.

I ran MSCONFIG (XP) and unchecked my startup items and all non-microsoft services so that nothing but the basic Windows would run in the background. Then I rebooted and chose to generate only the anaglyphs for the latest Spirit update. They generated fine. I put the L247 spec back in the preferences and then chose to generate only the color images for the latest Spirit update (fill in missing images). Lo and behold, it worked! Now I've got a stunning L456 image looking over Husband Hill and lots of other color pics.

I hope this'll help someone out.

Bubbinski (worked in tech support over the phone for 7 years plus. I think I've earned a few breaks in life smile.gif

--------------------
- My signature idea machine is busted right now.

+Quote Post
alan
post Feb 16 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (Bubbinski @ Feb 15 2005, 05:36 PM)
I'll second the zoom in feature - also it would be good if I could export images to Paint Shop Pro or some other software at the click of a button. (That would be good if I wanted to make a panorama, for example).

On a PC go to my computer and follow the path to the image. You should be able to open the files with other programs or copy/paste folders if you like.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 16 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (NIX @ Feb 15 2005, 11:34 AM)

NIX,

From the error, I think you must have modified the setting under Edit->Preferences->Advanced for generatePancamLeftFalseColorTypes. All the false-color types need to be six characters, like L2L5L7, and there shouldn't be a comma at the end. Let me know if this helps. I'll put in some error checking to better catch this.

Mike

+Quote Post
Pando
post Feb 16 2005, 01:10 AM
Post #42

The Insider

Member No.: 73

I have noticed that the Exploratorium site is slower than usual in the past few days, especially today. With people now easily able to download the whole couple of gigs of images with a single mouseclick, let's all hope that they don't shut the place down since they seem to be having some bandwidth issues lately.

While the Mars Browser is uber-cool, let's all use common sense here and don't attempt to download the whole thing. Please!... The last thing we need here is the loss of access to Exploratorium.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
slinted
post Feb 16 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #43

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Pando @ Feb 16 2005, 01:10 AM)
I have noticed that the Exploratorium site is slower than usual in the past few days, especially today. With people now easily able to download the whole couple of gigs of images with a single mouseclick, let's all hope that they don't shut the place down since they seem to be having some bandwidth issues lately.

While the Mars Browser is uber-cool, let's all use common sense here and don't attempt to download the whole thing. Please!... The last thing we need here is the loss of access to Exploratorium.

Thank you.

The Exploratorium has been a tremendous resource to the enthusiast community since the begining of the missions, from the image hosting to the web-casts they've done on the Rovers. This might be a good time to mention that they are just a not-for-profit science museum that could no doubt use the support of everyone using this program, especially to pay for bandwidth.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/support/index.html

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 16 2005, 02:09 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (slinted @ Feb 16 2005, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (Pando @ Feb 16 2005, 01:10 AM)

Thank you.

The Exploratorium has been a tremendous resource to the enthusiast community since the begining of the missions, from the image hosting to the web-casts they've done on the Rovers. This might be a good time to mention that they are just a not-for-profit science museum that could no doubt use the support of everyone using this program, especially to pay for bandwidth.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/support/index.html

Yikes, I didn't think that I might be causing problems. I'll try to email them to see if they have any issues with this. If anbody from Exploratorium follows these boards, maybe you could let me know.

+Quote Post
Pando
post Feb 16 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #45

The Insider

Member No.: 73

I'll try to email them to see if they have any issues with this.

Thanks mhoward, I think that would be great smile.gif

Just to clarify, I apologize if I appeared somewhat blunt earlier; I think the browser is just awesome and is a great resource to all of us rover fans. I do not have any information that the browser is actually creating problems for them, so if I am wrong all the better cool.gif

However experience tells me that bandwidth is a resource we must use wisely, and unless the server is heavily mirrored and load balanced, no single link can withstand the traffic this could potentially generate, especially when the browser gets into a more widespread audience with fast broadband connections and big hard drives. It would be easy for them (and very sad for us) to pull the plug to protect their infrastructure or bottom line.

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.