64 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
alan
post Feb 16 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

If they were willing to sell the database on CD I would be interested.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nix
post Feb 16 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #47

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

Thank you for looking that up mhoward. I just found out myself; I added ,L2L7 to the selection. There are still stall-issues but I'm guessing they might be related to my computer or the increase in traffic Exploratorium might be experiencing. Thanks to Bubbinski too; unchecking background tasks via MSCONFIG does make the program run more stable.

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
Borek
post Feb 16 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 166

It would be cool if some "bandwidth sharing" technology like BitTorrent could be used for the dissemination of the images.

Borek

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 16 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #49

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Pando @ Feb 16 2005, 05:25 AM)
I'll try to email them to see if they have any issues with this.

Thanks mhoward, I think that would be great smile.gif

Just to clarify, I apologize if I appeared somewhat blunt earlier; I think the browser is just awesome and is a great resource to all of us rover fans. I do not have any information that the browser is actually creating problems for them, so if I am wrong all the better cool.gif

However experience tells me that bandwidth is a resource we must use wisely, and unless the server is heavily mirrored and load balanced, no single link can withstand the traffic this could potentially generate, especially when the browser gets into a more widespread audience with fast broadband connections and big hard drives. It would be easy for them (and very sad for us) to pull the plug to protect their infrastructure or bottom line.

I talked to the webmaster there via email, and there's not a problem at the moment, but we should monitor it. They will be switching to a much faster internet connection soon which may resolve any potential issues. Also he has created a new alias, nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars, instead of qt.exploratorium.edu/mars; right now they both work but nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars will allow them to shift the images to a different machine if necessary. The address will be updated in v1.0.1, which should be out just any day now.

Another thing I might do is add the ability to do big downloads from JPL, although Exploratorium is as we know superior for timely updates. I assume JPL wouldn't have any problems with bandwidth but I suppose I should contact some there, too. blink.gif

Mike

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 16 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #50

Guests

Hmm.....maybe they are switching servers right now, can't access the exploratorium site sad.gif

edit: It's working OK now

+Quote Post
alan
post Feb 17 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 110

http://www.google.com/search?q=midnight+ma...:en-US:official

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 17 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #52

QUOTE (alan @ Feb 17 2005, 12:09 AM)

Ha! Well that would make sense... I haven't announced it anywhere else. smile.gif (Except on the official site, but who would know about that.)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 17 2005, 01:57 AM
Post #53

Hey, if there are any artists out there who feel like contributing to the project, I probably wouldn't say no to a 128x128 icon that could be used on Mac OSX, if it were cool-looking... I don't know if I'll have time to whip one up myself and my artistic skills, well, suck. Heck, if there are any takers, we could even post the entries here, and vote on the best. Just throwing out an idea.

+Quote Post
yuriwho
post Feb 17 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 155

QUOTE (mhoward @ Feb 17 2005, 01:57 AM)
Hey, if there are any artists out there who feel like contributing to the project, I probably wouldn't say no to a 128x128 icon that could be used on Mac OSX, if it were cool-looking... I don't know if I'll have time to whip one up myself and my artistic skills, well, suck. Heck, if there are any takers, we could even post the entries here, and vote on the best. Just throwing out an idea.

I'm not much of an artist but I created some potential icons for MMB:

I also posted these and some .icns files on my blog. Let me know if you like them or suggest minor changes in the comments on the blog.

Also, the feature request I would like to make for MMB is to be able choose between anaglyphs and cross eyed stereo 3D images.

Y

+Quote Post
erwan
post Feb 17 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 164

Michael: what about something like "a tool to link Earth and Mars closer"?

--------------------

Erwann

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 18 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #56

Those are great!

If anybody else wants to try, I guess you've got until I release v1.0.1, which might be early next week. This'll primarily be a bug-fix release with just a few other enhancements. And an icon on MacOS X.

Good news is I might have those weird freezing-up problems licked, I hope, or at least I have it so it'll spit out an out of memory error (which is what I think it was) instead of just playing dumb. I'll need to do some more testing to be sure.

Mike

+Quote Post
Bubbinski
post Feb 18 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 167

You're welcome Nix. One thing to point out is that Windows wasn't designed to constantly run in an MSCONFIG clean boot. I've never heard of specific issues when that's been done - all I'm saying is that once you're done with the Midnight Mars Browser it's a good idea to go back to normal startup. If there's one or two items in the startup group that consistently give problems unless you uncheck them, then try removing them through add/remove programs. If that's not possible the item may be spyware that needs to be removed by something like Spybot or Spyhunter.

Anyway, two other things on my wish list: a "play" button option for the slideshow so that I don't have to keep hitting the right arrow for something like viewing all hazcam images over the course of the mission. Also a feature for the slideshow where you can specify which set of pancam filters to use for viewing a slideshow of color images. (I know that you can specify the filters for generating the color images themselves when you download them).

Bubbinski/Space Cadet

--------------------
- My signature idea machine is busted right now.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Feb 18 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #58

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

rolleyes.gif Yes Bubbinski I'll keep an eye on it. Everything is doing great however.
I added an icon too to give you some ideas...
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 18 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #59

> a "play" button option for the slideshow

Yep, already have that in mind. Also a configurable delay, etc.

> Also a feature for the slideshow where you can specify which set of pancam filters to use for viewing a slideshow of color images.

That image criteria dialog is going to start getting pretty full. I'll see what I can figure out, though.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Feb 18 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #60

I decided to try my hand at an icon after all. Mine is more abstract.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.