Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
elakdawalla
post Aug 21 2012, 04:48 AM
Post #901

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I can empathize with that, since the first "there's an app for that" I really responded to -- and justified my upgrading from a regular old cell phone to an iPhone -- was Mike's Mars Globe.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 21 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #902

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Absolutely. MMB has been such an important part of my life for all these years now, I know I won't be able to live without his next Mars app. unsure.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 21 2012, 08:40 AM
Post #903

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 21 2012, 06:48 AM) *
I can empathize with that, since the first "there's an app for that" I really responded to -- and justified my upgrading from a regular old cell phone to an iPhone -- was Mike's Mars Globe.

Yep, this is great on the Ipad too...first app I downloaded! These are handies devices.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 21 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #904

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 20 2012, 10:34 PM) *
I know I won't be able to live without his next Mars app.

I guess I better get it working then! Be assured I'm working on it day and night. When I have something good enough to share, you'll be among the first to know.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Aug 20 2013, 01:01 AM
Post #905

Member No.: 453

MMB2 has not updated metadata for me for several weeks now, hence no panoramas either. Does something need a "kick"? Thanks!

Airbag

E.g.:

Checking for new images Mon Aug 19 20:55:25 EDT 2013
[...]
There are 683 new Opportunity images at Exploratorium.
Checking new metadata flag... skipped; same last modified time.
Check complete Mon Aug 19 20:56:14 EDT 2013
There are 683 new images at Exploratorium.
Beginning image update Mon Aug 19 20:56:16 EDT 2013
[...]
Checking for new images Mon Aug 19 20:55:25 EDT 2013
Checking Opportunity raw images from Exploratorium. Last download time is 04-Aug-2013 02:00
[...]

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 20 2013, 02:05 AM
Post #906

There isn't anything to kick as such. Every time MMB metadata was updated over the years, I was doing it personally; it was never a fully automated process. You could kick me, I suppose, but it wouldn't do any good at this point.

I will see if I can update the metadata, one more time, tomorrow. But this isn't going to be a regular thing; it's just too much of a pain at this point. Midnight Planets is MMB's successor; the updates there are fully automated. (And yes, I know Platform X is not supported. If you have any questions about why, please see here.)

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Aug 20 2013, 02:50 AM
Post #907

Ah...I see! Thanks in advance for one more update then; I did not realize that was a manual effort.

I did browse the Midnight Planets web site but did not find any obvious way to create interactive panoramas as MMB2 does...and I'm running Windows, so I'm out of luck with the app...oh well, it was a great (and free!) run - thanks very much for the many years of MER browsing mhoward!

Airbag

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Nov 19 2013, 12:06 PM
Post #908

Member No.: 336

NY Times has a nice image browser that incorporates a map showing the progress along a track:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/science...ef=space#sol455

I'm posting here because it seems a little MMB-like in some ways.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 19 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #909

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

The drive map is credited on the site as:

Rover position and drive distances are based on unofficial data from NASA’s Navigation and Ancillary Information Facility, via Joe Knapp. smile.gif

Great work Joe!

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Dec 7 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #910

I've updated the MMB metadata through MERB Sol 3508, for those of you who are stuck with the 'steampunk' software. I've fixed the manual process for now, so I'll try to do this every once in a while until something else breaks. It is a nuisance to do, so please don't expect miracles.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Dec 7 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #911

Thanks mhoward! Updating right now....

Airbag

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jan 8 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #912

Member No.: 196

I was trying to figure out why my favorite web app has a certain quirk. I like to plug images into all the different apps out there and get stymied sometimes as follows...

1) http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/sol/02269.html
2) try to find a thumb for this image name: 1P329615225ESFAI16P2445L6M1
>> no such thumb can be found, not even in the page source

as a workaround, it can be forced to display by plugging it into a url, so its there, just not thumbed:
http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/im...6P2445L6M1.html

Maybe something about processed 'C'(Cornell?) images (1P329615225RADAI16P2445L6C1) somehow pre-empting thumb display of the original 'M'(JPL) versions?

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Apr 5 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #913

atomoid: Sorry to be so late responding to the above. MP's general approach is to prefer a full image over a corresponding thumbnail, so there may not be a page for the thumbnail. If there were a calibrated thumbnail, the product type would be RAT (similar to RAD, but T for thumbnail). But, honestly, the rules I've put in place for organizing MER images are pretty complicated, and I'm not entirely sure what's going on there with looking at it longer than I really have time for at the moment. Perhaps that thumbnail was never returned to earth, I don't know.

A notice for those still using Midnight Mars Browser: I'm generally updating metadata on Saturdays now. And a reminder: all my space efforts are going into Midnight Planets these days, so if anything breaks in Midnight Mars Browser, that'll be the end of that. But since I've got a better scheduling app now, I can probably remember to update the metadata once a week. Probably.

- Mike

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jun 16 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #914

Member No.: 424

Mike,

Posting here because there doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to comments about your wonderful app Midnight Planets.

I've found a tiny inaccuracy in the information displayed on the settings page of your wonderful app Midnight Planets.

Yesterday I happened to notice that the information screen reported the version installed on my phone as 1.3 (2xx) followed by the statement that this was the latest version. I happened to know that the statement wasn't true, because App Store had alerted me that version 1.3.1 had been available since June 7 -- I just hadn't bothered to update.

After updating, the settings page reflected the new version number, 1.3.1 (123), and continues to report that this is the latest version -- but now I wonder whether the "latest version" text is properly updating.

Cheers,

TTT

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jun 16 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #915

Thanks for pointing that out, Tom. I have to update the latest app version info on the server on this end, and I forgot to do so. I've done so now.

- Mike

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 59 60 61 62 63 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.