6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Google Mars 3d (With HiRISE!), Part of Google Earth 5
Geert
post Apr 19 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4185

It's still a bit experimental, but below kml should give a 'drivability map' (12 mtr grid variance) on Google Mars for the whole area from Endurance down to Endeavour at 2 mtr resolution (you can zoom down lower but then you might get small offset errors).
Light green is best, green is good, blue is 'be careful', red is potentially hazardous (settings are a bit on the 'safe' side so there are many 'fals alarms' but those area's can only be judged at ground level).

It still takes a bit of time to load (and I hope my webserver survives), next version I will add more levels to make it load faster. On the area's where Google Mars does not give HiRise coverage there is a slight offset, I won't be so pretentious to say that this is due to Google Mars but they seem to be using some kind of projection for those area's which not completely matches my own.

Next versions of this I will post in the 'Google Mars' thread so as not to clutter up this thread

Remember you need to open Google Mars first before opening the kml, otherwise it opens somewhere on earth and weird things might happen. After opening the kml you need to go to Victoria crater to see the map.

Regards,

Geert.

Attached File  HR___MOC_Variance_Drivability_Map.kml ( 562bytes ) Number of downloads: 481

EDIT: UPDATED AND FASTER VERSION UPLOADED ON 20/04
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 19 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #62

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Too "heavy" for my computer/bandwith. sad.gif
I did this sort of experiment before but loading from a local image previously downloaded from an external server. In know there are some sort of kml keywords to limit the access to the referred pictures only if the "zoom factor" is high enough and avoid this problem but I don't remember them by memory.
I'll try tomorrow from a different machine/place.

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 20 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #63

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 19 2009, 09:33 PM) *
Too "heavy" for my computer/bandwith. sad.gif

I have uploaded an updated version in previous message which has more layers and should load a lot faster although it is slightly less resolution.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 20 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 253

It worked! smile.gif

I first thought it didn't but then after reading again your original post "After opening the kml you need to go to Victoria crater to see the map." I found it right there. One suggestion: there is a KML keyword to automatically focus on the map after opening it so no need to do it manually.

-------------------
Moved the posts to the "Google Mars" thread.

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 20 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #65

Below a first draft of Endeavour crater in Hires for Google Mars.

Start Google Mars first, then open the file. If it doesn't automatically take you to Endeavour after opening, then move to Endeavour and zoom in to see.

Attached File  Endeavour_crater_combined_view.kml ( 559bytes ) Number of downloads: 392

There is still a slight offset with the Google Mars background, I'll see if I can fix that later this week.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 22 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #66

In order to improve resolution without slowing down the application too much I have divided the earlier 'drivebility' map in three parts:

Endurance crater to Victoria crater: Attached File  Endurance_Victoria_Drivability_Map.kml ( 580bytes ) Number of downloads: 481

Victoria crater to Mini Endurance: Attached File  Victoria_Mini_Endarance_Drivability.kml ( 574bytes ) Number of downloads: 352

Mini Endurance to Endeavour: Attached File  Mini_Endurance_Endeavour_Drivability.kml ( 584bytes ) Number of downloads: 357

People who downloaded the earlier version don't need to do anything as it will upgrade automatically.

Attached Image

This new map has a resolution of aprox 1.7 mtr/pixel, it is no use going up any further as that's way outside the scope of the calculations.
'Red' should be seen as 'potentially' dangerous, however the settings are a bit on the safe side ('better safe then sorry'), only way to judge the real danger is with the eyes of the rover down on the surface. Basically dunes which are converging/merging are seen as a threat and marked red.

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 22 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #67

First draft of a map of mineral composition of Victoria area as measured by CRISM.

Attached Image

Attached File  CRISM_Victoria_Mineral_Composition.kml ( 584bytes ) Number of downloads: 373

This map is based on measured quantities and distribution of Oxidized iron minerals (ferric minerals, coatings, and iron minerals). Due to the lower resolution of CRISM the number of zoom-levels is somewhat less then the other maps.

In this version there is still a slight offset in longitude, I'll correct that later this week but it will upgrade automatically (the kml is only a link to server based files, makes life a lot easier).

+Quote Post
lyford
post Apr 23 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 124

I am glad this tool is driving creativity!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 24 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #69

Attached Image

Map of difference between THEMIS Day and Night IR measurements for Meridiani area

Attached File  THEMIS_Thermal_Inertia.kml ( 545bytes ) Number of downloads: 406

Theorie is that lose sand/dust will show up bright in Daytime IR and dark in Night time IR, so a large difference between daytime and night time IR measurements will show a larger risk of lose sand (I hope).

Map shows least difference in measurements as lightgreen, then onwards to blue, and red is shown as the highest difference (you can't call it a 'no go' area for there is no data on which value's are actually dangerous). Presently Oppy is almost through the 'red' area and should get on 'firmer' ground soon if this map is correct ;-).

Note resolution of THEMIS is only down to aprox. 100 meter/pixel so don't expect data on each individual dune ;-).

+Quote Post
atomoid
post May 23 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 196

Can anyone else had the problem of a grid of red 'X' boxes that are obfuscating most of the landing site and endeavor crater in the Google Earth(mars) regardless of whether or not i load the .kml file ?? it looks like google mars is trying to load data (as the boxes transition from loading symbol to an 'X'). so far i havent had any luck searching on this topic.

+Quote Post
Reckless
post May 23 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 217

QUOTE (atomoid @ May 23 2009, 09:06 PM) *
Can anyone else had the problem of a grid of red 'X' boxes that are obfuscating most of the landing site and endeavor crater in the Google Earth(mars) regardless of whether or not i load the .kml file ?? it looks like google mars is trying to load data (as the boxes transition from loading symbol to an 'X'). so far i havent had any luck searching on this topic.

Atomoid

In google mars go to the side panel and scroll down the places section and untick the HR plus MOC variance also you can untick the Crism Victoria box if you wish to remove the mineral colours.
At least this worked for me
Hope this helps

Roy F

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 29 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #72

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

This looks like an interesting new feature for Google Mars! smile.gif

From Arizona SU News: "The first of the new features lets anyone, anywhere, recommend places on Mars to photograph with ASU's THEMIS camera on NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter. The second new feature shows the most recent infrared images of Mars sent back to Earth from the THEMIS camera."

Cool.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 14 2010, 07:10 AM
Post #73

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Just been pottering away on Google Mars for a while, wandering around some of my favourite places, including what's probably my fave crater on Mars, which I'm sure you all recognise from this view...

Attached Image

... but when you take a look at the bigger picture - wow! Talk about "Landslide Alley"!

Attached Image

Hands up who loves Google Mars..? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 14 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #74

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Blog post on "Landslide Alley"...

http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2010/03/1...landslide-alley

--------------------

+Quote Post
tharrison
post Mar 14 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 5163

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 13 2010, 11:10 PM) *

Attached Image

Wow, looks so cool from that perspective!

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.