6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Google Mars 3d (With HiRISE!), Part of Google Earth 5
Antdoghalo
post Mar 16 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 4972

I hope Google includes the MOC,CTX and HIRISE images in the next release!
That way i can resume my search for volcanoes on the red planet unsure.gif !

Good thing theres a lot of user discoveries, overlays, databases, and info at Google Earth Community! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Mar 18 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 223

Does anyone know exactly how Googe Mars does obtain their Digital Terrain Models (DTM) used to render those views ?

It was my understanding that they use the MOLA base map (200-meter-ish post spacing) plus HRSC (Mars Express) DEMs (~50 m resolution) where available and only then draping CTX/HiRISE images etc. over them.

HOWEVER: The impression from views like that of the "half crater" and "landslide-alley" posted by Stu above is that the actual terrain models must be considerably more accurate than MOLA alone.
But yet there does not seem any other altimetry data of that region (i.e. HRSC or HiRISE DTMs) The only related data is CTX imagery but that is 2D-only, i.e. can be draped over the terrain)

So are we seeing still officially unreleased HRSC DTM data, or am I missing some other sources ?

A related question: is there a way to view/save the data in Google Mars as a height map, i.e. similar to what is displayed in the "google maps" like window at the bottom of each HiRISE observation page (i.e. http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_016354_1745 ?

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Mar 19 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #78

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Mar 18 2010, 03:14 PM) *
Does anyone know exactly how Googe Mars does obtain their Digital Terrain Models (DTM) used to render those views ?
So are we seeing still officially unreleased HRSC DTM data, or am I missing some other sources ?

Now I can anser the first of my questions myself: I simply did not zoom out far enough to see the huge green stripes that indicate the MEX/HRSC coverage when enabled in the "Spacecraft Imagery" checkbox smile.gif
Those HRSC stripes are so large that they are simply not visible at finer scales ... zooming out one can see that really about 50% of the surface must have been coverd by HRSC already ... very impressive !!

The following question remains. Anyone able to get the Google Mars view as height values rather than 3D shaded perspective ?

A related question: is there a way to view/save the data in Google Mars as a height map, i.e. similar to what is displayed in the "google maps" like window at the bottom of each HiRISE observation page (i.e. http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_016354_1745 ?

+Quote Post
ArMaP
post Mar 19 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 4466

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Mar 19 2010, 07:41 PM) *
Anyone able to get the Google Mars view as height values rather than 3D shaded perspective ?

I don't understand what you mean, are you asking about something like this?

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Mar 19 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #80

QUOTE (ArMaP @ Mar 19 2010, 10:43 PM) *
I don't understand what you mean, are you asking about something like this?

That's not quite what I'm looking for: this view does not only contain the color coded height values but there is an additional relief shading applied and mixed with the color coded height. While this is convenient for viewing it is hard to extract the original height data (i.e the DEM) from it. Plus, the color coded height view seems to be available at the coarsest (MOLA) resolution only. The much more detailed HRSC 3D data is not displayed or downloadable in this manner although it must be used by the Google Mars engine internally for the perspective view display.

However, as I have found out in the mean time, there is a direct link provided to the original PDS data record of the HRSC observations that can be used to download and process the original imagery and DTM data smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 19 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #81

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Mar 19 2010, 10:26 PM) *
However, as I have found out in the mean time, there is a direct link provided to the original PDS data record of the HRSC observations that can be used to download and process the original imagery and DTM data smile.gif

Then get off UMSF, get onto your computer and start rendering awesome 3D views of Landslide Alley...!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.