Reply to this topicStart new topic
Meteor Shower Reveals New Comet Neo, October Camelopardalids
ljk4-1
post Jan 19 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

Asteroid breakup event covered the planet Earth in extraterrestrial dust

Boulder, Colorado -- January 18, 2006 -- Scientists from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), and Charles University in the Czech Republic have made the first positive link between a breakup event in the main asteroid belt and a large quantity of interplanetary dust particles deposited on Earth.

Sediments found in oceanic core samples indicate that millions of years ago, the Earth was blanketed by extraterrestrial dust. Computer simulations indicate these particles are fallout from the breakup of a large asteroid in the main asteroid belt, a population of interplanetary bodies ranging from tiny pebbles to Texas-sized rocks located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

These findings appear in the Jan. 19 issue of the journal Nature.

http://www.swri.org/9what/releases/2006/Asteroid.htm

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Jan 20 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #17

Guests

Around here we got protococcus nivalis which causes red snow, my bet are that it might be a different but similar species.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 20 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 4 2006, 07:34 PM)
I'd say it needs a lot more work to support the ET claim; in fact, I can't believe that the journal acccepted this paper.

"Gee, there was an airburst meteor at around the same time" is a tenuous connection at best, and certainly doesn't provide any explanation for the long-term persistence combined with the localization of the phenomenon; air masses move around! huh.gif

The funny thing is that there's ample evidence for large-scale dust transport in regions which don't normally get considered as being The Usual Suspects for such things - I've seen satellite images of Saharan dust over the Atlantic, and the stuff regularly seems to land on southern England. So why involve a putative airburst? I'm sure that there are a range of interesting bits of against-the grain meteorology out there, but in any case I for one would be much more tempted to accept some unknown Terrestrial atmospheric process before a once-in-a-lifetime (squared) interplanetary event. Really, it smells of them things that fall out of the sky, oh, what do you call 'em, oh yes: fish.

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 21 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 20 2006, 05:54 PM)
The funny thing is that there's ample evidence for large-scale dust transport in regions which don't normally get considered as being The Usual Suspects for such things - I've seen satellite images of Saharan dust over the Atlantic, and the stuff regularly seems to land on southern England. So why involve a putative airburst? I'm sure that there are a range of interesting bits of against-the grain meteorology out there, but in any case I for one would be much more tempted to accept some unknown Terrestrial atmospheric process before a once-in-a-lifetime (squared) interplanetary event. Really, it smells of them things that fall out of the sky, oh, what do you call 'em, oh yes: fish.

Bob Shaw

It has been known to rain fish and frogs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/features/h...ning_fish.shtml

http://www.crystalinks.com/weirdweather.html

http://www.questacon.edu.au/html/tornadoes.html

But what next, a whale swimming up the Thames?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...UQ&refer=europe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4633878.stm

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post May 31 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #20

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200605310921.htm

Red rain caused by disintegration of comet: study

Kottayam, May 31 (PTI): The "red rains" in Kerala five years ago was the result of the atmospheric disintegration of a comet, according to a study.

The study conducted at the School of Pure and Applied Physics of the MG University here by Dr Godfrey Louis and his student Santosh Kumar shows that red rain cells were devoid of DNA which suggests their extra-terrestrial origin.

The findings published in the international journal 'Astrophysics and Space Science' state that the cometery fragment contained dense collection of red cells.

Commenting on the study at a press conference here, Dr N Chandra Wikramesinghe, Director of Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology, UK, said "what makes this study most important is the similarity of the red particles with living cells."

"If the red rain cells are finally proved to be of extra-terrestrial origin then that would be one of the most important discoveries in human history. It will change our concept about the universe and life," he added.

The red-coloured rains were reported in different parts of Kerala from July to September 2001.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 31 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #21

Guests

To say that I'm suspicious of this report is an understatement. Indeed, it sounds kind of like Charles Fort's books.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jun 5 2006, 02:49 AM
Post #22

CNN/Popular Science have something to say on the Red Rains of Kerala:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/02...rain/index.html

I just hope some additional reputable labs and scientists will give them a
serious examination.

They need to ignore the alien hype and find out what these things are.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.