Reply to this topicStart new topic
STS120, will be the 120th Shuttle flight
jmjawors
post Oct 29 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 1376

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 29 2007, 04:40 PM) *
Reuters now reporting that a preliminary onboard analysis revealed that the shavings are iron, not aluminum, implying that the joint mechanism itself was the source...not good. Might well be the motor-joint interface, hope it's not stripping out.

Very true. They took a magnet to some of the filings they collected yesterday. Definitely not from the thermal shielding, which would have been preferable. sad.gif

But it's still not clear what it's from. Once those samples get back to the ground they can identify the actual components they came from.

Sample-return... a pretty good idea! wink.gif

--------------------
- Matt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 29 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #32

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I'm still holding out hope that it's manufacturing residue--FOD (foreign object damage) in aerospace terminology--but not sure if that would be better; how in hell would you get it all out in micrograv & vacuum?

Guess strong magnets would be one way, but I can see them being quite problematic on a spacewalk.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 30 2007, 04:45 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 15

I'm betting the ultimate response is going to be to find a compromise position in which the SARJ will be parked and from which it will never thenceforth be moved. Yeah, it'll impact power budgets a little -- but the solar cells were always designed to give good margins for running more equipment than is now being planned. I don't think ISS will have rolling brownouts.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 30 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 29 2007, 08:45 PM) *
I don't think ISS will have rolling brownouts.

-the other Doug

Wouldn't THOSE be "interesting" (RE: scary) moments for the crews onboard...

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Oct 30 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #35

Initial inspection of the port (i.e. fully functional) SARJ showed no signs of contamination. So whatever is happening on the starboard side to create those metal "flakes" is definitely an anomaly.

Meanwhile, P6 relocation is complete. The radiator is deployed and soon they'll attempt to unfurl the arrays.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Oct 30 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 530

Yeah, the good news for this mission is that they'd at least planned to double up the arrays on the GOOD side.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 30 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #37

Merciless Robot

Hmm. Still wonder if they're FOD. Wonder if flight safety would ever sign off on sending somebody out there (tethered tightly, of course) with a compressed air canister to try to blow the damn things out & then see if the current load decreases; they might be getting stuck in the mechanism.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #38

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Looks like damage on the 4b array - one of the lines seems to have caught around one of the eyelets...and I don't think they could reach that on EVA where it is right now.

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Oct 30 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #39

Thanks for posting that screenshot, Doug. I was looking to do the same.

But wow... my heart skipped a beat when I heard Pam say "abort" and the view shifted to that tear. ohmy.gif

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #40

Founder

VERY cool customers on orbit - handling what could be quite a major issue like utter pro's. They've shot loads of photos at this angle, and they're not going to rotate the beta joint to get it from a slightly different angle.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Oct 30 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 30 2007, 11:48 AM) *
VERY cool customers on orbit - handling what could be quite a major issue like utter pro's. They've shot loads of photos at this angle, and they're not going to rotate the beta joint to get it from a slightly different angle.

They absolutely are. If I were up there it would be a mixture of stunned silence and a barrage of choice four-letter words.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #42

Founder

They've backed it up half a bay - they're going for another half bay now.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 30 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #43

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

... and from Nasaspaceflight.com...

At the same time, engineers on the ground are looking into indications that Discovery suffered a large MMOD (micrometeoroid/orbiting debris) strike to her port wing this morning. It is not known, but likely, that the strike was still not strong enough to cause any damage to the orbiter.

A ripped solar panel and a meteoroid strike on the wing on the same day... guess that'll teach some people - mentioning no names, no-one here I hasten to add - to dismiss an uneventful, smooth shuttle launch as "almost boring", eh? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 30 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #44

Merciless Robot

Good grief. sad.gif Just what we didn't need right now. Sounds like the arm is gonna get another workout, on top of everything else they need to do...

--------------------

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 30 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 535

*Sigh* Good luck and anything solar power-related just hasn't been going hand-in-hand with the ISS... huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.