Reply to this topicStart new topic
Images from Viking Orbiters
elakdawalla
post Feb 11 2014, 11:59 PM
Post #76

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

This appears to be a new global color Viking image mosaic. Too big for me to handle, so I look forward to seeing what others do with it! The browse preview looks quite lovely.

Mars Viking MDIM21 Color Global Mosaic 232m/p

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Feb 12 2014, 07:21 AM
Post #77

Group: Members
Member No.: 4489

unfortunately the usgs servers are maxing out at about 300Kb/ sec (with about 200K as the average)
at 12 gig this is a 12 hour dl on a 30 meg cable connection

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 13 2014, 08:04 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 12 2014, 12:59 AM) *
This appears to be a new global color Viking image mosaic. Too big for me to handle, so I look forward to seeing what others do with it! The browse preview looks quite lovely.

Emily, just an idea, please. Could there be a downloadable version of this gorgeous map put online by TPS on its website as JPEG images : 1 global half resolution + 2 hemispheres left/right full res (to be mosaicked by users if needed) ? This would be a real help much appreciated from us as TPS members... Thanks so much again in advance if you can find a solution, please, and with warmest regards, VM smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 15 2014, 12:39 AM
Post #79

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I don't plan on hosting the full-resolution data, but with the help of Fred Calef I have posted here a version with a resolution of 2.5 km/pixel in PNG format, suitable for serving as the base of a global map. It is 52 MB and 8536 pixels wide.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Feb 15 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 4489

what do you know the dl speed of the cub is now at 1.9 M/s
2 hours VS 12 hours

but this is just a colorized version of the same mdim basemap
good for making a control network for the themis data and CTX images

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 17 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 15 2014, 01:39 AM) *
I don't plan on hosting the full-resolution data, but with the help of Fred Calef I have posted here a version with a resolution of 2.5 km/pixel in PNG format, suitable for serving as the base of a global map. It is 52 MB and 8536 pixels wide.

Thanks a lot Emily : this is very kind of you. I'll try to downloand it tonight at home. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 2 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 7273

One of my long-running projects has been reprocessing Viking Orbiter mosaics. One of my eventual goals is to recreate the mosaics featured in Viking Orbiter Views of Mars. The data's pretty great when it's cleaned up and frames assembled digitally, so I think it'd be great to see an "updated" version of that book. I have a growing Flickr gallery of completed mosaics. I'll post a couple of my favorites here.

One of the southern hemisphere monitoring mosaics, centered on the Argyre Basin:

The famous regional shot of Chryse Planitia showing water-sculpted features:

The Tharsis Plateau:

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Mar 2 2016, 12:31 AM
Post #83

The global dust storm of 1977 while it was still a regional dust storm in Thaumasia, taken on February 19, 1977.

Thaumasia Dust Storm - Viking Orbiter 2 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Jul 22 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #84

Here's a 5-frame color mosaic of Chryse Planitia from Viking Orbiter 1 about a month before the landing. Looks quite dusty!

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Dec 10 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #85

Here's a 15-frame mosaic of the region northwest of Hellas Basin. There is a missing chunk at top center that appears to have been filled in with the official NASA release of this image, but I'm not sure where they pulled the data from. A neat feature that the official version misses is some high-altitude clouds along the horizon at the bottom left corner.

Mars - Viking Orbiter 1 - Rev 1483 Full by Justin Cowart

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Dec 10 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 114

It amazes me home much we missed back in the 80s!

Well done!!

Its also nice to see the correct colour and not the blood red over saturated images of the 80s.

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 11 2016, 12:12 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 4057

That's gorgeous image Justin!

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 11 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #88

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Stunning. The wide-field views of Mars from the VOs are still some of the most dramatic and beautiful ever captured.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 12 2016, 11:39 PM
Post #89

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

This is an awesome mosaic and one thing I like is that this is not a low phase view. Examining the terminator in hi-res global views of planetary bodies is usually interesting. It would be particularly interesting to see hi-res global views of Mars at high phase angles - the limb/atmosphere would be interesting in these views (anyone from the MOM team reading this ? ;-)).

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Apr 2 2017, 04:27 AM
Post #90

Here's a Viking Orbiter scan across Mars, centered on Syria Planum. Relatively dust-free view of the southern Tharsis region, as the albedo variations on the surface are pretty bold and sharp. Also lucky enough to have imaged some orogenic clouds over Arsia Mons.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.