29 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
dilo
post Jul 1 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

This is my attempt to reduce shading and jpeg artifacts and improve gamma/contrast fo everxposed region:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Jul 1 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #302

Member No.: 624

Is there any way of knowing the viewing angle? I'm wondering if Vesta is angled slightly oriented showing the south hemisphere, and we're looking into the South crater. You can vaguely see what looks like the rim of the big crater, and yes, very degraded.

+Quote Post
bagelverse
post Jul 1 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 5509

rolleyes.gif Very nice re-rendering.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 1 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #304

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Here's my shot at de-clipping the image. Warning: some artistic interpretation in the clipped border - I manually used a paintbrush to set the clipping mask.

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 2 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #305

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 1 2011, 08:34 PM) *
Yeah, that is some kind of ugly processing that's been done on that photo...

You're not kidding. Add some lens flare and that could be one of mine...! laugh.gif

"Cleaned up" versions much better, well done everyone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 2 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #306

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Yeah that one was uuuuugly. That swatch in the middle looks like it was cut with scissors and pasted on.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Jul 3 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #307

Member No.: 12

Images acquired from this time onwards should have over twice the resolution of the last released image. Can't wait to see more! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 3 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #308

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (pablogm1024 @ Jul 1 2011, 07:34 AM) *
Hi Greg,
Only for you (well, no, for everybody in the forum), a brand new image is now available here. Enjoy

I just now saw this. Thanks!

I usually tell people that UMSF is a place for serious amateurs who want to experiment with new ways to visualize data from unmanned space probes--and for the rest of us who just like to look at the pictures. I think it's very cool that you gave us a picture that was not just nice to look it; it gave people here a way to show off what they can do. :-)

Thanks again.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 3 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #309

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

Firstly, thanks to the Dawn team for posting this new image.

QUOTE (Steve G @ Jul 1 2011, 10:06 PM) *
Is there any way of knowing the viewing angle? I'm wondering if Vesta is angled slightly oriented showing the south hemisphere, and we're looking into the South crater. You can vaguely see what looks like the rim of the big crater, and yes, very degraded.

This can probably be seen by taking a look at the earlier rotation movie, even though its resolution is lower. Actually these approach images nicely illustrate the value of movies. The most recent image is much better than the earlier images but in some cases it's difficult to distinguish between topographic shading and albedo features. The difference between the two is more obvious in a movie. Here I get the impression that we are looking at both but it's difficult to be sure.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 3 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #310

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"Is there any way of knowing the viewing angle?"

Check out post 259 earlier in this thread. The movies are indeed very useful.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jul 5 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 3908

Today, Dawn is 60400 km from Vesta, which now appears as big to Dawn as the Moon appears to Earth observers. I suppose we could say that's some kind of milestone. An image of Vesta now would be close to 100 pixels across.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 5 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #312

Member No.: 523

I prefer to look at this similarly to Earth received time for spacecraft events, only in this case it's a delay of N days until we all (the public) see that image. Not really much point in thinking how big Vesta appears to Dawn at this moment or how soon it's downlinked to the ground, is there? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 5 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #313

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ugordan @ Jul 5 2011, 02:48 PM) *
Not really much point in thinking how big Vesta appears to Dawn at this moment or how soon it's downlinked to the ground, is there?

True, and that's a problem, I think. Have to be honest here - and by this I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the fine efforts of the Framing Camera team's generosity with their time on this forum's Q&A, which is a brilliant gesture, thank you again! - but this is the first major mission in a long time that I haven't felt a part of, and that I've actually, sometimes, felt like my interest in the mission and its science isn't appreciated or wanted by the people at the head of it. That is probably very unfair, but it's how I feel. This lack of images is taking a lot away from Dawn and the revelation of Vesta for me personally. It feels more like we're in occasional contact with a submarine on a deep ocean mission, that only surfaces long enough to send back a burst of info before sinking beneath the waves again.

The images available now must be *wonderful*, but they're scattered across desks or sitting on hard drives, only being seen by a few people - who deserve to see them, obviously, but the world has moved on, and it means this is something of an "aloof" mission, I feel. Great shame.

Oh well. I'm sure the next image release will be fantastic, really looking forward to that. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 5 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #314

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Agree Stu. It reminds me of the late 1970s when I used to have to wait for the weekly thin copy of Science News at the school library to get a photo or two from Viking. In fact under those circumstances I was seeing images MORE frequently than we are getting from Dawn.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 5 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #315

Member No.: 1345

I've agreed to host and present at a Vesta Fiesta event at our local museum to celebrate the arrival. I'm kinda hoping there are a few more images to show off or it's could be a less-than-enthralling presentation.....

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.