IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiRISE PDS release, Has anyone done anything yet?
Stu
post Oct 11 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #16

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

... and one more...

Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 12 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #17

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wow. Beautiful work, Stu. MRO is making Mars look more & more like Chesley Bonestell's original visions...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Dec 14 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

Its really hard to keep up with the vast amount of HiRise images ...
I'm recently working on some colorizations to keep the "Alien Landscapes" series running smile.gif

link to the original data:PSP_001816_1410

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 15 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #19

The Poet Dude

Welcome back Nirgal! GORGEOUS pic! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Dec 16 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 15 2007, 01:06 AM) *
Welcome back Nirgal! GORGEOUS pic! smile.gif

Thanks, Stu smile.gif

One of the most amazing things with the HiRISE imagery is that there are so many interesting detail views waiting to
be discovered among the many many gigapixels ...

For example this one:

original link:PSP_004044_1640

Anyone else want to post their favorite detail MRO views ?

smile.gif

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Dec 17 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 381

Does anyone know the date of the second HiRISE PDS release? I thought I heard once that releases would be at six-month intervals, so we may be fairly close.

+Quote Post
monitorlizard
post Dec 17 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 381

Just to clarify, I see that the HiBlog site mentions that 1200 color images have just been released. These have probably been in the pipeline for quite a while. I was wondering if there would be a forthcoming release of images taken after the first PDS release (June or July?). These I assume would not be fully processed to color images.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 17 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Dec 17 2007, 12:54 AM) *
One of the most amazing things with the HiRISE imagery is that there are so many interesting detail views waiting to
be discovered among the many many gigapixels ...

Anyone else want to post their favorite detail MRO views ?

Welcome back, Bernhard! smile.gif
Your pictures are great, but last one, without a scale, is a little disappointing.... (is a MRO or MER MI camera picture? huh.gif laugh.gif ).

This is my side-by-side comparison of two "Bright Streaks and Dark Fans" pictures taken 4.5 days apart (PSP_002622_0945)

Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Dec 17 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 17 2007, 11:16 AM) *
Welcome back, Bernhard! smile.gif
Your pictures are great, but last one, without a scale, is a little disappointing.... (is a MRO or MER MI camera picture? huh.gif laugh.gif ).

Thanks dilo ... and criticism always very welcome smile.gif

reminds me of my former idea of augmenting the orbiter-images with a small artificial airplane shadow as a scale.
Will try to include this in future images ...
I found that detail shot quite dramatic with the rugged shadows and the oblique viewing angle ...
and I am actually always looking especially for images/crops taken at late evening or early morning local time for the more dramatic shadows smile.gif IMO those are the best views that look more like viewed from out of an airplane/helicopter window rather than
a satelite image from orbit wink.gif

[quote]
This is my side-by-side comparison of two "Bright Streaks and Dark Fans" pictures taken 4.5 days apart (PSP_002622_0945)

Attached Image

Wow ! spectacular! ... I wonder how close the bluish color of the fans comes to the "true perceived" color ...

BTW.: Has anyone already tried "true calbirated" MRO composites (like slinted's great MER calibration work...) ?

+Quote Post
OWW
post Dec 17 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 99

I found the perfect landing site for MSL:

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_004067_1230
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 17 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #26

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Bloody hell!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 17 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #27

Merciless Robot

laugh.gif ...couldn't have said it better myself, Doug! (Good one, OWW! tongue.gif )

Where is this, anyhow? There are actually many rocks on top of rocks here. Makes the Viking & Pathfinder sites look like city parks by comparison...

EDIT: Duh. Should have looked at your link. Okay, the perimeter of Argyre is not a happy place. The rim of Hellas is probably even worse. Suspect that heavy winds from the diurnal entrance & exit of air into these deep basins scours away most of the soil at the edges, leaving nothin' but rocks...LOTS of rocks.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 17 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #28

The Poet Dude

Can I ask something that's been on my mind for a while? Is anyone else out there wondering why the good folks behind the MRO mission aren't making more of its images? Or taking... oh jeez, how do I put this without sounding ungrateful... more exciting, more stimulating images?

I mean, looking at that picture up there I thought, like Doug, "B****y hell!!" Look what it can do! That detail! But every week - at least for the past couple of months or so - I've gone to the MRO site on New Release day, looked at the images and although I haven't thought "So what?" I have thought "Hmmm... ok...". Nothing has really grabbed me, not like in the early days when every pic made me shake my head with disbelief. Lots of pictures of polygonal structures at the poles... strange layering here and there... dunefields... all very interesting scientifically, I'm sure, and very useful for planning further missions certainly, but nothing startling, nothing hypnotic for people not directly involved in the field.

I am NOT putting down MRO, no-one suggest that I am, please. But I do know that while this mission had me almost rabid with expectation and excitement in the days just after landing now I find myself getting a little ho-hum about the images being released. I think they're just too large scale. I'd love to see extreme close-ups of surface features, showing more familiar scales. I know anyone with a decent broadband service and a good PC etc can do that for themselves if they download and peruse the images at their leisure, but there must be many, many people like me who are still on dialup who are using less-than-state-of-the-art PCs who would love to be able to see images like the ones OWW and Nirgal posted above.

Again, I'm not disrespecting MRO or anyone behind it. I just think that OWW's pic shows the real capability of the camera, and that, perhaps, more could be made of it. The most amazing images for me have shown crumbling cliff faces, mesas casting long jagged shadows, things like that. I think we need to see more of those - and if they're already on the pictures, then dramatic features like those need to be zoomed in on and posted as pictures in their own right.

Not criticising. Just a little frustrated. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 18 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #29

Merciless Robot

Stu, only thing I can think of is that the MRO team is neck-deep in accomplishing the nominal mission objectives right now...but, of course, that's kind of pale. Cassini's outreach is occurring during the primary mission, and by comparison it's been outstanding (well, to give credit where credit is due, it's been extremely good in its own right).

Only other thing I can think of is that Mars orbiters have taken a much lower profile in contrast to Mars landers. This is probably a huge mistake to make with an instrument suite as powerful as that of MRO's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 18 2007, 02:41 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 17 2007, 05:39 PM) *
Cassini's outreach is occurring during the primary mission, and by comparison it's been outstanding...

Cassini has an encounter every month or two with not much happening in between. MRO takes more data than a Cassini encounter every day. And frankly, the Cassini images are far easier to pick good ones from, don't you think?

I think it's fair to expect that one or two images from MRO will make it onto most lists of the top space images of 2007. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a lot more outreach than that. (Though I am disappointed that most likely none of those images will have been taken by an MSSS instrument this year.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:43 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.