Marcel
post Sep 20 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 65

QUOTE (abalone @ Sep 20 2005, 01:35 PM)
Correction
I think it is only 11.8km/s so the angle is a bit larger but not much

There's one remaining (quite important) question left for me: How much angular change is to be expected due to the flyby ? And is there any flexibility in it (by changing altitude of the flyby for example) ?

And eh, one more: is it already determined how the flyby geometry will be (which altitude, what side, what projected path on the surface, longitude, latitude....etc.) or can it be detailed further during the months or weeks before closest approach while the first details of the planet come in ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john_s
post Sep 20 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #212

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (Marcel @ Sep 20 2005, 01:51 PM)
There's one remaining (quite important) question left for me: How much angular change is to be expected due to the flyby ? And is there any flexibility in it (by changing altitude of the flyby for example) ?

And eh, one more: is it already determined how the flyby geometry will be (which altitude, what side, what projected path on the surface, longitude, latitude....etc.) or can it be detailed further during the months or weeks before closest approach while the first details of the planet come in ?

We are not using Pluto's gravity to help with our KBO targeting- Pluto is too small to help us much (it will change our trajectory by less than 0.1 degrees). We will have some flexibility in our flyby geometry (and some, but less, flexibility in our arrival time), but the geometry decision will be made to maximize Pluto science, not to target the KBO. We'll probably make that decision long before we have useful Pluto data from the spacecraft, though.

We will find a KBO in our narrow "cone of accessibility" simply by chosing sufficiently faint, and therefore more abundant, targets. As abalone pointed out, we think we have a good chance of reaching a KBO in the ~30 km diameter class, and a fighting chance of something bigger. We can find objects this faint using large telescopes such as Subaru in Hawaii. Wish us luck!

+Quote Post
abalone
post Sep 22 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #213

Member No.: 409

QUOTE (john_s @ Sep 21 2005, 03:57 AM)
we think we have a good chance of reaching a KBO in the ~30 km diameter class, and a fighting chance of something  bigger.  We can find objects this faint using large telescopes such as Subaru in Hawaii.  Wish us luck!

I note in your paper that searches could start as early as 2004, has this happened and are there any results yet

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Sep 22 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #214

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (john_s @ Sep 20 2005, 04:57 PM)
Wish us luck!

Good luck !!! wink.gif
I am REALLY looking forward to the mission and i am happy to finally see Pluto up close in the next decade. Fingers crossed for launch....good luck on that one first i'd say unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Oct 4 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #215

Member No.: 173

All--

Yesterday the launch clock stood at T-100 days. As of today, we're
in to double digits.

In project news, the past week has seen a great deal of instrument
and autonomy testing down at the Cape, and the completion of all SWAP
activities in San Antonio-- SWAP is now returning to the spacecraft for
flight. Yesterday we had yet another successful launch approval meeting
at NASA HQ, this time with Administrator Griffin and his Program Management
Council.

SWAP and the second IEM are to be re-installed on the spacecraft later this
week. There is also a PEPSSI activity to install some Kapton tape under
the instrument in order to put in place the kind of thermal interface
that the PEPSSI engineering team wants at their mount. At that point, the
spacecraft is back to flight config (!) with all boxes aboard, for the first
time since early September.

Next week is the Mission Operations Status Review, a 5-day spacecraft
comprehensive performance test, more DSN testing, and the Boeing third stage
Design Acceptance Qual Review. The following week we do another multi-day
mission sim, and the monthly Mission Ops Readiness and quarterly SOC
reviews.

-Alan

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 4 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #216

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Thanks Alan, and good luck over these last 100 days. Hope everything runs smoothly and nothing like MER's pyro problems happen!

Cheers, James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Oct 24 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #217

Member No.: 384

Hurricane Wilma is heding for Cape Canaveral...
I'm woried about what can it do to Atlas 5 rocket...
It is siting on the pad???
Is it SAFE??? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 24 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #218

Member No.: 385

I don't think so. Cape Canaveral will have tropical depression.
http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurri...anes/wilma.html

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Oct 24 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #219

Member No.: 384

I was refering to this...
C.C. Space Center CLOSED !!!

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 24 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #220

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Toma B @ Oct 24 2005, 07:26 AM)
Hurricane Wilma is heding for Cape Canaveral...
I'm woried about what can it do to Atlas 5 rocket...
It is siting on the pad???
Is it SAFE??? sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

An Atlas V stays inside the Vertical Integration Facility (essentially a big building) until about 12 hours before launch, when it's rolled out to the pad.

They're pretty used to this sort of weather at KSC.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mchan
post Oct 25 2005, 03:30 AM
Post #221

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Oct 24 2005, 11:31 AM)
An Atlas V stays inside the Vertical Integration Facility (essentially a big building) until about 12 hours before launch, when it's rolled out to the pad.

They're pretty used to this sort of weather at KSC.

I don't recall incidents of damage to launcher from hurricanes, but there have been a couple of cases where improper sealing allowed water into the payload integration room at the top of the building. In one case I recall the payload had to be removed and inspected.

+Quote Post
Comga
post Oct 25 2005, 04:46 AM
Post #222

Member No.: 415

QUOTE (mchan @ Oct 24 2005, 09:30 PM)
I don't recall incidents of damage to launcher from hurricanes, but there have been a couple of cases where improper sealing allowed water into the payload integration room at the top of the building.  In one case I recall the payload had to be removed and inspected.

The New Horizons spacecraft has been put back in its shipping container to protect against something like a rain leak or wind getting in. This lesson has been learned. (The webcam link in post #63 by hal_9000 in "New Horizons Arrives At Ksc" is down so it can't be seen. Presumably things are shut off and locked down.)

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 31 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 430

A post on the FPSPACE list says there is going to be a significant Pluto discovery announcement today.

Well??

unsure.gif

A new moon? Another KBO bigger than Pluto? A giant carving on its surface?

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
john_s
post Oct 31 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #224

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Oct 31 2005, 05:36 PM)
A post on the FPSPACE list says there is going to be a significant Pluto discovery announcement today.

Well??

unsure.gif

A new moon?  Another KBO bigger than Pluto?  A giant carving on its surface?

Well now it can be told- not one, but two, new moons of Pluto- probably in fairly circular orbits not too far outside the orbit of Charon- a regular little satellite system. We found them this summer with the Hubble Space Telescope. See this space.com article. Very cool!

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Nov 1 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #225

Member No.: 534

QUOTE (antoniseb @ Aug 30 2005, 03:44 PM)
Hmmm. I'm guessing SlashDot is wrong here. The SlashDot article has one sentence saying it will return, but I've never before heard that it isn't on an escape trajectory. The NH website doesn't even say what the flyby velocity of Pluto is, so there's no way to tell from that site. I've seen other places saying 11 km/sec for the flyby, but I don't know if this takes into account that Pluto is already travelling a few km/sec outbound as this mission is arriving well past preihelion for Pluto. The outbound velocity might be 13-16 km/sec.

I would imagine that NH would not end up returning to 1AU, since after the encounter with Jupiter, it will have a perihelion closer to five AU.

If the galaxy were not filled with gravitational knots (other stars), you might expect the Voyagers and Pioneers to return in 225 million years.

(Thought this was answered already): a member of the NH team told me recently that they were aware of the Slashdot article, and that they do not know where they obtained that info because it is incorrect. NH is on a hyperbolic escape trajectory just like Voyager 1-2/Pioneer 10-11 (as Alan mentioned).

Wonder where SD got that.

What I am interested in finding out now is what year NH will surpass Voyager 1. One reply said they are planning to figure it out, but haven't yet.

I would guess that it would be this century but in the latter half.

--------------------

+Quote Post

109 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.