32 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Apollo Sites from LRO
websterling
post Nov 10 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #316

Group: Members
Member No.: 4965

I have downloaded the raw image of the Apollo 12 site, M109386083R.tif and have yet to find the site in the image. I would appreciate it if someone could post the location of the center of Surveyor crater, say in pixels from the upper left corner of the raw image.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 10 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #317

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I don't have the pixel location, but it's very close to the right edge and near the middle measured from top to bottom. It is just to the right of and below a prominent bright crater with a dark central spot.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
websterling
post Nov 10 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #318

Member No.: 4965

full inline quote removed - ADMIN

Thanks, Phil.

And if anyone else is looking, the center of Surveyor crater is about 4580 pixels to the right and 25530 pixels down from the upper left corner.

+Quote Post
kenny
post Nov 10 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #319

Member No.: 759

Regarding survival of Apollo 11 flag, it's gone... turned to ashes, dust, according to the guy who made it.

As I posted earier in this thread, #87....

See Post #87 earlier

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Nov 11 2009, 09:43 AM
Post #320

Member No.: 4270

Well see, that's what I would have expected until the previous page of this thread, where 17's flag was shown to be still there (in some form or another).

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
kenny
post Nov 11 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #321

Member No.: 759

Hmmm, I see what you mean, Hungry. Aldrin glanced out the window at the moment of take-off (which he shouldn't have done, because he was supposed to have his head inside looking at instruments - Armstrong was also looking out, having the controls, but the flag was not on his side so he couldn't see it). Aldrin says in his books that he saw the flag blown over by the blast, so it was left lying on its side.

If A17's flag has survived, that's interesting and relevant (assuming it was made of the same material). Hopefully the matter of the present condtion of the A11 flag will be resolved by future images.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 11 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #322

Member No.: 530

The comments of the flag manufacturer were simply "the UV would destroy it" based on UV light in earth's atmosphere doing so. I'm no chemist, but it doesn't take too far reading into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_degradation to find that the reaction is using oxygen in the atmosphere to react with the free radicals created by UV. There is more UV but a lot less oxygen up there on the Moon. Did Mythbusters cover this one?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Nov 11 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #323

Member No.: 4270

Interesting, about the oxygen being needed.

And nah, Mythbusters didn't cover the flag's deterioration as it wasn't part of the mainstream hoax-belief (and since it was pre-LRO, there's not a lot they could really be safe in saying).

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 11 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #324

Member No.: 530

A little google indicates that someone had nylon on LDEF. Did they publish? There is probably more oxygen in LEO than on the moon, but it's worth finding the paper if it exists.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 11 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #325

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 11 2009, 10:21 AM) *
There is probably more oxygen in LEO than on the moon...

There is far more atomic oxygen being rammed into the target in LEO than on the moon, so the LDEF results are not very applicable. That said, try http://setas-www.larc.nasa.gov/LDEF/index.html

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Nov 12 2009, 03:30 AM
Post #326

Member No.: 1241

Here is the new low orbit Apollo 11 site, destriped, and cleaned up. The high sun washes out the craters!
Attached Image

here is blow up of just the site
Attached Image

cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Nov 12 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #327

Member No.: 103

I had a little trouble matching up the components of the EASEP in the latest Apollo 11 site photo, and I believe the caption on the LROC site is incorrect. The object at the bottom is clearly the passive seismic experiment (PSP). The caption on the LROC photo implies that the object at the 1 o'clock position from the PSP was the Lunar Ranging Retro-Reflector (LRRR), but it's in the wrong place. In the photos from the Apollo 11 moonwalk, the LRRR is to the left of a line drawn from the PSP to the LM, but this bright object is to the right of that line. I think that the bright object may be the split boulder that's visible in AS11-40-5950. The LRRR is then the object that's the upper-left vertex of the triangle of objects in the EASEP area. That appears to be the correct spot for it.

On PDP8E's enhancement, what's the bright object at the 4 o'clock position from the LM, about equidistant from the LM as Little West Crater? Is that a boulder or a piece of Kapton?

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 12 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #328

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I was looking at those things too. I agree with your identification of the bright object as the rock between the two deployed instruments. But looking at their captions it's not so clear to me that they described the locations incorrectly. I would give them the benefit of the doubt on wording. I think the 4 o'clock bright spot is another rock.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Maquis
post Nov 13 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #329

Member No.: 5040

Rocks were our preliminary conclusion as well. However, after some research I'm almost certain that this artifact is in fact caused by discarded LRRR dust cover.
I've put analysis here: http://astro4u.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=...29267#msg229267

BTW, Hi guys.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Nov 13 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #330

Member No.: 1241

Maquis,

Interesting chain of evidence on your link - I am almost ready agree.

(welcome aboard)

Cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.