20 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Geomorphology of Gale Crater, Rock on!
jmknapp
post Oct 16 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

A paper from the MSL team to be delivered at the Geological Society of America conference in Charlotte next month talks about an area on Mt Sharp containing "boxwork" structures:

Boxwork structures are mapped in a distinctive sedimentary layer exposed on Mount Sharp in shallow depressions about 700 m above Curiosity’s landing ellipse in Gale Crater. This layer, exposed over about 1 km2, is characterized by penetrative fracture networks expressed as ridges and separated by shallow depressions (2-10 m diameter) that are filled with dark windblown sand. Ridges are light-toned, averaging 4-5 m in width and sometimes marked by a thin dark strip (0-1.5 m across) in the center of the ridge. These are interpreted as large-scale boxwork structures, formed when saturated groundwater flowed through the fractured host rock and crystals precipitated within fractures and pores in the host rock, making the fractures more resistant to weathering than unaltered host rock. After weathering, the fracture fills stand as topographically higher rims around eroded host rock.

Curious to know where that is on the HiRISE imagery. Might it be this area in the large (what appears to be) outflow channel?

Attached Image

Other ideas?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stellingwerff
post Oct 16 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 6493

Hi Joe,

I think you are slightly too high up the mount. I believe they are talking about the polygonal structures as shown on page 30 of: http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/landingsites/...d_final_opt.pdf

Greetings,
Ludo.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 16 2012, 06:16 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Oct 15 2012, 08:30 PM) *
A paper from the MSL team to be delivered at the Geological Society of America conference in Charlotte next month talks about an area on Mt Sharp containing "boxwork" structures: ...
Those large scale boxwork stuctures may be the most spectacular geomorphic features Curiosity images on this mission. I can only hope that Curiosity will send us some amazing pics as she carefully traverses the area.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 16 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 13

Ludo, thanks for that--looks like a good inference, based on the caption. Here's a full-res HiRISE detail from the area:

Attached Image

I'd imagine that rover driver skills would be taxed to get into that maze of twisty passages.

CosmicRocker--beyond amazing pictures, the other instruments could probably feast on the crystalline minerals formed in the cracks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Nov 5 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 6725

Greetings from Russia smile.gif

I want to share my observation.

I looked at pictures and noticed that many of the stones are similar to volcanic.

It seems even that lava river.

So close to be a volcano?
This is clearly not Elysium Mons
In the north-west is the mountain, which can be a volcano?

It turns out it can be a source of the alluvial fan and inverted (lava?) channels?

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
acastillo
post Nov 5 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 6641

Hi, my first post.

The problem with a volcanic interpretation of these landforms is the conglomerates already discovered. Conglomerates only form in alluvial environments, where water has flowed and rounded the cobbles. I agree that some of the rocks look like volcanic in nature, but the closeup images taking with the MARDI they show no mineral grains. This means the grains are smaller, at least on the surface, than the resolving power of MARDI, which is pretty small. The only volcanic rocks that I have seen with no visible grains is volcanic glass. Since volcanic glass is not stable, at least on Earth, it should have devitrified by now, and show some crystallization of the rock.

Of course reality is probably a mix of both alluvial processes and volcanic process were involved with the formations we see today. Which makes this area probably the more exciting spot explored on Mars so far, sorry opportunity.

Mod: Excessive quoting removed. Read rule 3.5 please.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 28 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 28 2012, 03:37 PM) *
You can see it an awful lot better in the Navcam anaglyph on page 2 of this thread. It's difficult to do geomorphology from Hazcam anaglyphs because the field of view is so limited. That hummock is just part of the edge of a much wider resistant layer that forms a major terrace all around the depression.

Well... the one end of the depression that is obvious in the most recent pans that have been assembled, here, looks rather circular. Anything that describes a partial or complete circle on Mars, with its higher impact rate than we are accustomed to on Earth, could be the remnants of an impact crater. The flow lines etched into the rock working into the depression could just be the result of eons of aeolian modification.

However -- and this is a big however -- the overall morphology of the region is indicative of alluvial activity, i.e., modification from flowing water. So, even though the edge of this depression is circular and may still represent the remnants of an impact crater, with the clues to alluvial action we can see in the aerial images, it looks to me that the initial modification of the terrain is more likely from water flowing and then ponding in the topographic low point of the depression. Multiple episodes of flash flooding, or continuous drainage from the central mound, could have resulted in the patterns we see.

In any event, the original forces that carved the topography here at Glenelg has since been modified by many, many eons of aeolian erosion since the last of the flowing water was seen here.

-the other Doug
Reason for edit: Link to the main thread

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 28 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #68

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

One feature very common to Gale crater, both its floor and on the central mound, is "inverted topography," where there is something that looks like a stream valley (with dendritic tributary or distributary features), except that it stands higher than the surrounding terrain, rather than lower. That is generally interpreted to mean that there once was a valley, whose fill was, for whatever reason, more resistant to erosion than the material into which it carved. The fact that it stands high now tells you that the whole surrounding landscape has been deflated, eroded away, since the last time there was significant fluvial activity here.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ddan
post Nov 28 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 6655

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 28 2012, 11:48 AM) *
the whole surrounding landscape has been deflated, eroded away, since the last time there was significant fluvial activity here.

One thing that I don't quite understand is where did all the eroded surface go? Does it have places where it accumulates preferentially? How many meters of surface can we expect to be removed in 2-3 billion years? At some point the erosion stops because the landscape is already covered with sand, so there must be some upper and lower limits to this phenomenon.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 28 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #70

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

At some point if the debris breaks down into sufficiently small particles it can be removed from the vicinity, even lifted out of Gale crater completely. So it might not remain in this area to choke off further erosion.

We had a small move, slightly backwards and to the left, so a rock slab that was immediately adjacent to the left front wheel is now slightly further away and right of center where the arm can work on it. Following common practice in the past I expect it backed up a bit, turned, moved forwards again to the desired location, and turned to face the rock. It's hardly enough of a move to warrant updating the route map just yet.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 28 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (ddan @ Nov 28 2012, 10:12 AM) *
One thing that I don't quite understand is where did all the eroded surface go?

Good question. I don't think anyone knows yet. From Malin and Edgett, "Sedimentary rocks of early Mars", Science, 2000, http://www.sciencemag.org/content/290/5498...&siteid=sci (italics mine)
Not only is evidence of the depositional processes not apparent, neither, in most cases, are the processes that exposed and eroded the layered and massive units (with the obvious exceptions of faulting in the Valles Marineris and the presence of yardangs that imply wind erosion). For example, Henry Crater contains 10,000 km3 of material in an isolated mound within the crater. This material is layered and stands nearly as high as the crater rim. This observation implies that some process or processes have removed 15,000 km3 of material from Henry Crater. Notwithstanding recognition of morphologies that suggest an apparent sequence illustrating removal of material from impact craters, the actual processes are unknown. The implication is that most of the exposure and erosion of the layered units must have occurred some time far in the martian past, when transport out of the craters (again, with no obvious transport pathways) could have occurred via processes not acting on the planet today.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Nov 28 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 675

The uniformitarian in me gets nervous when I read an appeal to "processes not acting on the planet today".

But as a historian of science, what do I know. smile.gif Steve

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Nov 28 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 542

It's a great phrase isn't it? Get's you out of any problem - except that it doesn't. With its 'impossible' central mound Gale crater is the perfect place to seek real answers to that big Martian mystery.

Meanwhile at Glenelg we have a smaller mystery but one whose resolution should also prove enlightening. Why did the removal process, whatever it was, selectively target the outer margin of an alluvial fan?

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Nov 29 2012, 02:52 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 6725

My thought involves this element. It looks as a wave or stream consequence.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
Guest_Actionman_*
post Nov 29 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #75

Guests

QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 28 2012, 03:27 PM) *
With its 'impossible' central mound Gale crater is the perfact place to seek real answers to that big Martian mystery.

I would think that would be a good reason not to to go here... which in all honesty means i should have a theory/hypothesis but I don't see the word "glacial" mused much.
Here it goes: Rock slipping inward to the center from a thick ice glacier.

Some of these rock seem to show frost heave to me.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:27 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.