3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Motion/science, OT from Routemaps
Toma B
post Dec 6 2005, 07:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

It's encouraging to see officialy mentioned words like "Partway to 'Victoria' "... smile.gif
Maybe there's still a chance to get there...I surelly hope so! smile.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Dec 6 2005, 07:47 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 6 2005, 07:20 AM)
It's encouraging to see officialy mentioned words like "Partway to 'Victoria' "... smile.gif
Maybe there's still a chance to get there...I surelly hope so! smile.gif

Yes that caught my eye and hope too !!!

+Quote Post
Buck Galaxy
post Dec 6 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (mars loon @ Dec 6 2005, 07:47 AM)
Yes that caught my eye and hope too !!!

At the rate Oppy's going it will never make it to Victoria Crater. It's time to do some serious driving. This 10 meters a day stuff is crazy.

A manned mission to Mars would have had astronauts exploring Victoria within two weeks.

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Dec 6 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 451

QUOTE (Buck Galaxy @ Dec 6 2005, 04:26 AM)
At the rate Oppy's going it will never make it to Victoria Crater.  It's time to do some serious driving.  This 10 meters a day stuff is crazy. 

A manned mission to Mars would have had astronauts exploring Victoria within two weeks.

Hi Buck, I think a manned mission to Mars would not yet have explored Victoria Crater, if both projects started at the same time and had the same budgets. The men would still be in simulators here on Earth.

I do agree that it seems frustrating the pace at which Opportunity is going these days. The mechanical difficulties its had lately are a big part of it.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Dec 6 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 385

From Erebus tu Victoria, the 90% of the way, Oppy can travel safely over outcrops and some sand ripple crossing. The next sand land would reach to few hundred meters (400) before from the Victoria Crater in a negative slope. However the total distance between Erebus and Victoria craters would be around 2,300 meters.

If Oppy, travels witout its IDD workable, would travel at least 20 meters per day (pessimist) and 40 meters per day (optimist) in average, then, nice pessimist pronostic (otherwise, Oppy would be sleeping forever) it would take 115 days (3-4 months). The optimist pronostic, the time would be shorter to 57.5 days (2-3 months). So, if she is strong and smart enough would be able to see the Victoria crater between March and April 2006.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Cugel
post Dec 6 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 120

A quick estimate of the average speed of Oppy since we first ran into Purgatory dune/ripple is: slightly more than 7 meter per sol and dropping (as we are standing still). And that is not the straight line speed, which is much less of course.

IMHO these rovers are slow (as Steve called it) but that is when they are in perfect working order. When things go wrong everything comes to a grinding halt. Of course this is mainly the nature of the game, debugging over galactic distances is pretty tough!
But maybe a next rover could/should be equipped with more diagnostic features.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Dec 6 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (Cugel @ Dec 6 2005, 10:59 AM)
A quick estimate of the average speed of Oppy since we first ran into Purgatory dune/ripple is: slightly more than 7 meter per sol and dropping (as we are standing still). And that is not the straight line speed, which is much less of course.

IMHO these rovers are slow (as Steve called it) but that is when they are in perfect working order. When things go wrong everything comes to a grinding halt. Of course this is mainly the nature of the game, debugging over galactic distances is pretty tough!
But maybe a next rover could/should be equipped with more diagnostic features.

Good detail. Then I should be more pessimist about the future transverse progress of rovers. The last article I have read about MSL is that it is capable to drive up to 20 km in one Mars' year instead of above than 5 km of MER.

I have seen many persons writting "IMHO". Shall anyone tell us what does this mean. I know the meaning of BTW : "By the Way" but I am half guessing about IMHO: I mean...???

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Dec 6 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Dec 6 2005, 04:17 PM)
I have seen many persons writting "IMHO". Shall anyone tell us what does this mean. I know the meaning of BTW : "By the Way" but I am half guessing about IMHO:      I mean...???

Rodolfo

In My Humble Opinion smile.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Dec 6 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Dec 6 2005, 08:19 AM)
In My Humble Opinion  smile.gif

If you see an unfamiliar acronym on the Internet, try going to Google and typing "IMHO means"... you'll get your answer 90% of the time.

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Dec 6 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (JRehling @ Dec 6 2005, 05:16 PM)
If you see an unfamiliar acronym on the Internet, try going to Google and typing "IMHO means"... you'll get your answer 90% of the time.

AKA JFGI

+Quote Post
helvick
post Dec 6 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (paxdan @ Dec 6 2005, 06:20 PM)
AKA JFGI

JFGI smile.gif

+Quote Post
mchan
post Dec 7 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 476

A good site for acronyms --

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

+Quote Post
leustek
post Dec 8 2005, 02:39 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 324

QUOTE (Buck Galaxy @ Dec 6 2005, 05:26 AM)
At the rate Oppy's going it will never make it to Victoria Crater.  It's time to do some serious driving.  This 10 meters a day stuff is crazy. 

Its odd, after the spectacular successes of the current mission to invoke what a manned mission could have done. A manned mission to Mars would not be possible in our lifetimes. With all their faults and frustrations, robots are the way to explore the Solar system.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 8 2005, 04:04 AM
Post #14

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (leustek @ Dec 7 2005, 06:39 PM)
Its odd, after the spectacular successes of the current mission to invoke what a manned mission could have done. A manned mission to Mars would not be possible in our lifetimes.  With all their faults and frustrations, robots are the way to explore the Solar system.

Actually I sympathize with Buck Galaxy's comment. If you ignore for a moment the fact that we can't get humans to Mars yet, it's true that as they have been marketed -- robotic geologists with hand lenses and hammers, blah blah blah -- the rovers have done in two years what human geologists operating on Earth could have done in a few weeks. Many of the geologists working in the daily operations of the mission are trained as (Earth) field geologists and have done their time in the field with pack, hand lens, hammer, camera, map, and colored pencils. Much as they love working with the rovers, I am sure there are moments of frustration where they wish they could just go to Mars and crack the a rock open with a hammer and take a look and then get on with the danged traverse already! No disrespect meant to Spirit and Opportunity. They can do things that no human can possibly do, this year (or this decade, or perhaps even this century, who knows). But that doesn't make the pace any less frustrating sometimes!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 8 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (JRehling @ Dec 6 2005, 11:16 AM)

I apologize for wandering even further off topic. Is there any wonder why Google's stock price has more than quadrupled the IPO closing price so quickly? For definitions and acronyms, my first choice is using something like "define:imho" on Google.

QUOTE (paxdan @ Dec 6 2005, 11:20 AM)
AKA JFGI

...but Google's define function is not so helpful for "jfgi." That acronym will "come in handy.".
QUOTE (helvick @ Dec 6 2005, 11:36 AM)
JFGI  smile.gif

That link was duly noted and bookmarked. wink.gif

...damn, my original plan was to simply say "go robots." How did I manage to get knocked so far off topic?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 11:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.