Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Kitchen Junk Drawer, Exchanges that need to be put somewhere
djellison
post Nov 2 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #31

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Den, you're asking for something totally and utterly pointless. Moreover, it would just fill up UMSF's server quicker.

The quality of ET's maps is already more than good enough for the purpose for which they are intended.

Discussion over.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
walfy
post Nov 7 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 5161

UNNECESSARY QUOTING REMOVED - Admin

I love these side-by-side comparisons. Have you thought of embedding text within the images stating in some way that they are doctored images? Lazy news reporters or bloggers might grab some for use in articles without reading carefully. This thought came to mind after reading about Emily Lakdawalla's episode with some minor image manipulations she put online that caused some misunderstandings. For the sake of good science, which is getting battered in some quarters, especially here in the U.S.! Just a thought and not a critique of your excellent work.

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Nov 9 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 365

I agree that doctored photos, especially photogenic stuff like these recent crater comparisons, should have something embedded in the image that will clue the unwashed masses in that this is not simply some shot taken directly by a camera. Years ago a vice-president of a company I worked for had a montage photo of Jupiters' moons (with Jupiter in the background) mounted on his office wall and I was never able to convince him that it was a collection of different photos and that those moons would never, in reality, be in the positional relationship that photo presented them in.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #34

Founder

Given that the description of what they are and how they are made is right here at the place where the images are to be found, I see no reason to suspect a message on the image would have any more impact.

Consider your boss.... if in the bottom corner it said 'Photo montage' - he would be none the wiser. If you were unable to convince him, right there, in conversation... no text qualifier on the image would manage it either.

Every single image here is doctored in some way at some stage by some means. If someone is so uninformed as to need to be reminded of that every time they see an image... there really is very little we can do for them. In the case of Emilys recent adventure - the people commenting were nothing but conspiratorial nut jobs. No message, qualifier, cautionary comment or bi-line would convince them otherwise. Emily came right out and said, clear as anything... I made it, this is how, this is why it looks like it does... and people STILL piped up about the obvious conspiracy it proved must exist.

In brief - why compromise an image with un-necessary text to accommodate idiots?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 9 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #35

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

/\

What he said. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 9 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 9 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Given that the description of what they are and how they are made is right here ...

Perhaps true, but "...not claiming 100000% scientific accuracy" is not much of a disclaimer.

I would not consider someone an idiot if they did not realize from that post the nature of the image. Also, I hate to see such base language used in an otherwise reputable forum.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #37

Founder

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Nov 9 2010, 12:51 PM) *
I would not consider someone an idiot if they did not realize from that post the nature of the image. Also, I hate to see such base language used in an otherwise reputable forum.

'Base Language'. Really? REALLY?

I guess your standards are catastrophically different to my own.

It's about the politest word I could possibly use to describe people such as those that wrote at length about the conspiracy proven by Emily's Cassini image.

Perhaps true, but "...not claiming 100000% scientific accuracy" is not much of a disclaimer.

Care to quote that in full and not selectively pull out a small section of it?

"And, as always, just for fun - not claiming 100000% scientific accuracy - here's a pic showing Endurance (top), Santa Maria (middle) and Victoria roughly to scale..."

That's more than enough disclaimer.

Of course, you are free to add your own disclaimer to your own contributions to UMSF. I notice you've not felt it necessary to do so :

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=21641 ( OMG What happened to Jupiters rings!! )
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=21775 ( What the? GIANT YELLOW CIRCLE ON MARS )
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=21384 ( Street sign on mars clear sign of intelligence )
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=21248 ( See - they sent a second rover to hide the evidence of life, how else did they take this photo? )
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=20887 ( Mimas is going to impact Tehthys ! )

I will not be doing so. It's unnecessary.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 9 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 9 2010, 03:59 PM) *
It's about the politest word I could possibly use to describe people such as those that wrote at length about the conspiracy proven by Emily's Cassini image.

Now that we're in the junk drawer, I guess I'll respond. laugh.gif

A couple of different issues were mixed in your post. Someone misinterpreting Stu's image is a very different situation than someone claiming Emily's image is a NASA cover up. I think it is unfair to lump them into the same category.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 9 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 9 2010, 03:59 PM) *
"And, as always, just for fun - not claiming 100000% scientific accuracy - here's a pic showing Endurance (top), Santa Maria (middle) and Victoria roughly to scale..."

That's more than enough disclaimer.

Definitely enough for UMSF regulars. Not clear at all to the passers by. I'm not calling for more of a disclaimer, I'm calling for less insider snobbery. It would be perfectly understandable for a casual reader to misunderstand that image. No big fault of Stu's, but no big fault of the reader's either. Certainly no reason to lump them in with the worst of the conspiracy theorists.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #40

Founder

As I said - I consider it more than enough disclaimer. I will not be adding disclaimers to thing I make. Feel free to add them to things you make (something you have not done, to date)

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 9 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Nov 9 2010, 04:15 PM) *
...I'm not calling for more of a disclaimer....

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 9 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #42

Founder

You also said "Perhaps true, but "...not claiming 100000% scientific accuracy" is not much of a disclaimer."

Stu's post included far far more disclaimer than you have used for images you have posted.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 9 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #43

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Ahem.
Discussion over folks.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Nov 9 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 655

Good call.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Nov 20 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4270

Indeed; I felt my answer addressed his question. The inclination of the moon's orbit isn't a function of Mars' obliquity.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.