Reply to this topicStart new topic
Steve Squyres Q & A - The Mp3
Nix
post Sep 11 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #31

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

I have this malfunctioning sound-card mad.gif that needs replacing and I've yet to hear it (again).

I do remember Doug doing very well and he could become an appreciated space-related reporter.
There was a relaxed mood during that meeting, despite the exitement talking about these precious rovers and their findings. tongue.gif

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 11 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

Maybe, someone has already transcripted the Steve's interview, I would like to read it !!! biggrin.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Sep 12 2005, 08:14 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 65

Last friday i couldn't wait: downloaded it at work, took my laptop with me, put it on the seat beside me during rushhour and listened on max. volume.

Thanks Doug, you did an excellent job. Steve obviously enjoyed the talk very much. Seemed to me you were very relaxed: you even said to him you better keep on going, because you are starving. laugh.gif That really showed the atmosphere of equality in the conversation. My compliments again !

+Quote Post
aharris
post Sep 13 2005, 03:22 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 459

Great interview! I put it on my media player and listened to it at work. Very enjoyable and a lot of good Q&A!

Thanks!

--------------------
--- Andy Harris

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 13 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #35

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Fantastic piece of scientific journalism Doug!
Maybe you've found your vocation... biggrin.gif

And having something on my hand that as witnessed that moment feels good...
Thank you for your words and wait for that bottle, it won't be long (do I send it to the adress on the back of the envelope?)

I imagine Squyres reaction...It must have been a relaxation moment from the rutless inquirer Doug... laugh.gif

I can't avoid sharing it...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/rav.jpg

I'm happy Squyres is on the science side...In the calligraphy area he would have some problems...

Kidding! Just kidding! tongue.gif

Ultreya Ho!

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 14 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #36

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The winning question was the S1K bug, simply because Steve and I both joked about it - and as dot.dk already has a copy of the book, he's kindly donated it back to UMSF

I want to raise money to send down to help with Katrina clear up - so your call guys - do we do some sort of raffle - 50 tickets at 50 pence a go to raise a guarenteed £25, or do I put it on ebay and the best bid wins?

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 14 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #37

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 10:11 AM)
The winning question was the S1K bug, simply because Steve and I both joked about it - and as dot.dk already has a copy of the book, he's kindly donated it back to UMSF

I want to raise money to send down to help with Katrina clear up - so your call guys - do we do some sort of raffle - 50 tickets at 50 pence a go to raise a guarenteed £25, or do I put it on ebay and the best bid wins?

Doug

Can't you make a mention on e-bay that the money is for donation?
Maybe an unexpected bid appears...

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 14 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #38

Founder

Oh yes - you can do that - I certainly would, I link back to here etc - just so people know. Who knows - someone might go "wahg - £200." - and that would be great.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 14 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #39

Founder

Downloaded a total ot 225 times smile.gif That's not bad.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 17 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 116

Congratulations to dot.dk for submitting the winning question, and for being so gracious as to donate the prize back to the Forum! smile.gif Commendations to you Doug, for putting it to such noble use.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 17 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #41

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2005, 10:11 AM)
I want to raise money to send down to help with Katrina clear up - so your call guys - do we do some sort of raffle - 50 tickets at 50 pence a go to raise a guarenteed £25, or do
I'd buy a ticket but there aren't any pence for miles around these parts.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 17 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15

Sur there are, Dan. If you're in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, anyway -- you can get pence from a number of different exchange counters out at O'Hare, which is probably about three to five miles away from you... smile.gif

I used to live even closer to O'Hare, in Mount Prospect. But I've been up here in Minne-snow-ta for the past ten years...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Pando
post Sep 21 2005, 05:45 AM
Post #43

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Hi Doug, I just now had the chance to listen to this interview, as due to my terribly busy schedule I have had only time to visit the MER forums occasionally....

The interview was absolutely wonderful! Sounded like you both enjoyed the chat smile.gif Great questions, great answers, and great pace throughout the interview. You covered a lot of ground there! wheel.gif

A huge Thank You wink.gif

Pando

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 21 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 174

Note: I was able to catch Steve Squyres Houston book tour talk on CSpan-2 Book TV this weekend. They first ran it a week earlier, may re-run it a couple more times in following weeks but you never know.

+Quote Post
odave
post Sep 23 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 209

I finally got some free time today and listened to the interview. Like everyone else, I thought Doug did a great job - thanks for doing it!

Towards the end, when asked about Carl Sagan, Steve mentioned that someone sent him an e-mail with a quote from Cosmos about a future rover mission. I cracked my copy open and think I found the passage - hopefully I transcribed it correctly. Have a read, it's very prophetic...

Excerpt from Cosmos by Carl Sagan (1980), “Blues for a Red Planet”, pp. 129-130:

There is another way to investigate Mars and the full range of delights and discoveries this heterogeneous planet holds for us.  My most persistent emotion in working with the Viking lander pictures was frustration at our immobility.  I found myself unconsciously urging the spacecraft at least to stand on its tiptoes, as if this laboratory, designed for immobility, were perversely refusing to manage even a little hop.  How we longed to poke that dune with the sample arm, look for life beneath that rock, see if that distant ridge was a crater rampart.  And not so very far to the southeast, I knew, were the four sinuous channels of Chryse.  For all the tantalizing and provocative character of the Viking results, I know of a hundred places on Mars which are far more interesting than our landing sites.  The ideal tool is a roving vehicle carrying on advanced experiments, particularly in imaging, chemistry, and biology.  Prototypes of such rovers are under development by NASA.  They know on their own how to go over rocks, how not to fall down ravines, how to get out of tight spots.  It is within our capability to land a rover on Mars that could scan its surroundings, see the most interesting place in its field of view and, by the same time tomorrow, be there.  Every day a new place, a complex, winding traverse over the varied topography of this appealing planet.

Such a mission would reap enormous scientific benefits, even if there is no life on Mars.  We could wander down the ancient river valleys, up the slopes of one of the great volcanic mountains, along the strange stepped terrain of the icy polar terraces, or muster a closer approach to the beckoning pyramids of Mars.  Public interest in such a mission would be sizable.  Every day a new set of vistas would arrive on our home television screens.  We could trace the route, ponder the findings, suggest new destinations.  The journey would be long, the rover obedient to radio commands from Earth.  There would be plenty of time for good new ideas to be incorporated into the mission plan.  A billion people could participate in the exploration of another world.

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.