IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

81 Pages V  « < 70 71 72 73 74 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Crossing the Dunes at Murray Buttes, Sites 54-62, Sols 1353-1659, May 28 2016-Apr 6 2017
Gerald
post Feb 20 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #1066

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

Out of the hip, I could offer four more hypotheses:
-1- In the upper left corner of the image at midnightplanets you refrenced, there appear to be remnants of an overlying (greyish) rock layer. This layer seems to be more resistant to erosion than the underlying (reddish) layer. The smaller grains may be other relics of the overlying layer.
-2- The embedded grains may be sparse brecciated clusts in a sedimentary siltstone.
-3- We are near hematite ridge. Depending of the composition of the embedded material, we might see first embedded iron ore fragments.
-4- Embedded tektites of a meteorite; recently we have seen likely iron meteorites.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Feb 21 2017, 12:40 AM
Post #1067

Member No.: 6853

Thank you all for sharing your hypotheses smile.gif I now have some more reading to do...

Here is the sol 1614 3x3 R-MastCam mosaic of the layered block "Aroostook River" mentioned in the 1614-1616 USGS mission update.

I cropped the edges a little and tweaked the jpeg compression to bring the file size within the upload limits.

Edit: The block is ~53 cm wide
Full resolution version LINK

Attached Image

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Feb 21 2017, 01:02 AM
Post #1068

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (Gerald @ Feb 20 2017, 10:54 PM) *
Out of the hip, I could offer four more hypotheses:
-1- In the upper left corner of the image at midnightplanets you refrenced, there appear to be remnants of an overlying (greyish) rock layer. This layer seems to be more resistant to erosion than the underlying (reddish) layer. The smaller grains may be other relics of the overlying layer.
-2- The embedded grains may be sparse brecciated clusts in a sedimentary siltstone.
-3- We are near hematite ridge. Depending of the composition of the embedded material, we might see first embedded iron ore fragments.
-4- Embedded tektites of a meteorite; recently we have seen likely iron meteorites.

Well, the detail that interests me is the knobby texture, e.g. in contrast to smooth "blueberries"
I'd call these mulberries.
They appear to have internal structure, you can see where a 'pip' has weathered out and left a spherical gap.

This makes it look like these are clumps of course grained material cemented by a fine matrix.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Feb 21 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #1069

Member No.: 7273

QUOTE (HSchirmer @ Feb 20 2017, 08:02 PM) *
Well, the detail that interests me is the knobby texture, e.g. in contrast to smooth "blueberries"
I'd call these mulberries.
They appear to have internal structure, you can see where a 'pip' has weathered out and left a spherical gap.

This makes it look like these are clumps of course grained material cemented by a fine matrix.

You can't really say much about their internal structure since we don't have any that have cracked open. The knobby texture could just be a consequence of uneven precipitation. They don't look all that different from iron oxide concretions to me.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 21 2017, 05:47 AM
Post #1070

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Feb 19 2017, 08:52 PM) *
Looks like there's a multi-stage history in that rock. I notice that many of the white veins (probably gypsum) don't have the alteration haloes around them. So it looks to me like there was initial fracturing associated with the movement of a reducing agent that bleached the iron, followed by fracturing not associated with a fluid. Not sure how the v-shaped vein fits into that history, though.

I believe you're correct in that there has been multiple instances of alteration/deposition through fractures. The thing is that if we accept that the sediment in Gale is horizontally bounded then if the initial fracturing was hydraulic, with high overburden pressure, hydraulic fracturing would be preferentially horizontal. As overburden was eroded and removed, pressure release would be vertical. It could be anticipated that there would be reactivation and extension of fractures over time which would account for those thin offshoots that seem to have Calcium sulphate deposits but no dark halo. It also accounts for the horizontal deposits without necessitating an evaporate, playa scenario.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Feb 21 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #1071

REMS UV Detector Housing in this 1614 MAHLI and a montage with a little history.
We can see the recent cleaning of the finer dust from around the magnets and the darker sands on the deck, I've annotated the sol # and a brief description under each image. Once again reduced to meet the max upload limits.

Probably make a good GIF one day, but the file size may be a little on the large size and the alignment is not very consistent.
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Feb 21 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #1072

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L Panoramic view on Sol 1616.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Feb 22 2017, 06:15 AM
Post #1073

Preview of the a de-bayered 1609 R-MastCam mosaic of Ireson Hill, using 30 of the 32 frames. I plan to assemble the full mosaic when the remaining frames are downlinked.
De-bayered in ImageJ, stitched in MS ICE. The greenish cast from de-bayering these files, has not been adjusted in this preview version
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 22 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #1074

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

A very small move on sol 1616, less than a wheel diameter from comparison of Hazcams. The drive was supposed to be bigger, so presumably halted by tilt or other sensors. I will not update the map for it, but here is Jan's recent panorama in circular form.

Phil

Attached Image

PS "Here is the sol 1614 3x3 R-MastCam mosaic of the layered block "Aroostook River" mentioned in the 1614-1616 USGS mission update. "

I always wondered what happened to cousin Aroo.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 22 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #1075

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Reprojected Hazcams from sol 1617 show we are now on the sand, a short distance south of the previous position. Map update this evening my time.

Phil

Attached Image

(approximate orientation only)

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 23 2017, 06:00 AM
Post #1076

Phil Stooke's map stop 2 (current position) is at the channel through the dunes, so the reason for the seven sol diversion to the dunes (stop 1) with a short 2 sol layover remains something of a mystery. There must be something that caught the teams interest.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Feb 23 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #1077

Member No.: 7837

Sol 1617 Navcam right pano with extended sky

--------------------

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Feb 23 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #1078

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (serpens @ Feb 23 2017, 07:00 AM) *
Phil Stooke's map stop 2 (current position) is at the channel through the dunes, so the reason for the seven sol diversion to the dunes (stop 1) with a short 2 sol layover remains something of a mystery. There must be something that caught the teams interest.

Eh, looks like the rover ran over and cracked open a fair sized rock,
bottom right of the navcam image.

Might be worth checking out fresh fracture faces to see how they compare to the weathered exterior...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 23 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #1079

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (serpens @ Feb 23 2017, 07:00 AM) *
the reason for the seven sol diversion to the dunes (stop 1) with a short 2 sol layover remains something of a mystery.

In the latest update they say they wanted to compare the leading and trailing edges of the dunes. (Or do they mean they'll do both near here, rather than comparing stops 1 and 2?)

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 23 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #1080

From the update " This site was selected to enable comparison of the leading and trailing edges of the dunes." implies this is a specific task for this stop. Could there be a delay on the requirement to have an extended stop for attempts at fault rectification on the drill?
I still have difficulty thinking of this area as dunes rather than ripples.

+Quote Post

81 Pages V  « < 70 71 72 73 74 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.