39 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
KBO encounters
dilo
post Sep 8 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

Based on these plots, they should be able to make correction maneuvers and science activities until early 2024 (59 au) and downlink data until 2029 (74 au).
Moreover, if mission extension will be financed, I'am pretty confident they will be able to further improve these margins by optimizing operations (as done on Voyager)

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 9 2012, 02:04 AM
Post #242

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Alan,
Do those power margins account for shutting down unnecessary systems as NH ages? Or is the technology good enough now (I'm an embedded engineer myself) that a low-power mode for an instrument is essentially near-zero power?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Sep 9 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #243

Member No.: 173

The figures in Glen Fountain's paper do not include measures we can take to extend mission duration, which we now estimate will take us to the mid-late 2030s. However, those measures do not generally include low power instrument modes, as most NH instruments do not have them.

QUOTE (hendric @ Sep 9 2012, 02:04 AM) *
Alan,
Do those power margins account for shutting down unnecessary systems as NH ages? Or is the technology good enough now (I'm an embedded engineer myself) that a low-power mode for an instrument is essentially near-zero power?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 9 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #244

Member No.: 1004

this in interesting: the search for candidate KBOs continues to provide some "collateral" discoveries
Discovery and Characterization of an L5 Neptune Trojan in the Search for a New Horizons Encounter Candidate
and it may also receive some distant (180 million km) observations

+Quote Post
morganism
post Sep 10 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #245

Member No.: 6610

Am a big fan of the KBO post encounter, and threw in some time at Ice Hunters, but would trade it all for a trajectory change to get more info on Uranus or Neptune.

That red trojan looks interesting tho, and nearly a 30 deg inclination is crazy!

Am specifically interested if there are any flux tube re-connections out there.

OPAG doesn't look like they will be chosen in time to still have any specialty scientists still around to study an ice giant.....

--------------------
Thomas Gold was probably right about a iceball Mars.....

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Sep 11 2012, 06:13 AM
Post #246

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (morganism @ Sep 10 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Am a big fan of the KBO post encounter, and threw in some time at Ice Hunters, but would trade it all for a trajectory change to get more info on Uranus or Neptune.

<cough>

I've attached a diagram showing the positions of the outer planets at the time of New Horizon's Pluto encounter, together with a cone indicating the outer limits of NH's ability to change course after the encounter. The diagram is figure 14 from Guo and Farquhar, New Horizons Mission Design (2007), available at http://www.boulder.swri.edu/pkb/.
Attached File  nh.cone.pdf ( 62.03K ) Number of downloads: 714
Keeping in mind the narrowness of the cone, the positions on the diagram of Uranus and Neptune, and of course the fact that Uranus and Neptune will continue to march, "rank on rank," as members of "[t]he army of unalterable law" ** further counterclockwise from the Pluto rendezvous point ... what kind of trajectory change are you talking about?

TTT

_______
* I've looked at BB Code Help, I've searched the forum, I've googled (per Chairman's advice), and I've looked at page source, but haven't figured out how to post an inline image. I'm sure it's only a few characters of code with a simple syntax, but I'm not able to intuit what those words and syntax are. To avoid threadjack. I'll start a thread in EVA/Chit Chat or EVA/Image Processing Techniques.

** Apologies to George Meredith.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Sep 12 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #247

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Sep 11 2012, 08:13 AM) *
... what kind of trajectory change are you talking about?

I guess that would have to be the kind of trajectory change that involved the reverse gear. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
udolein
post Sep 20 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #248

Member No.: 6295

Candidate for post-Pluto encounter - Plutino 15810:

A possible post-Pluto flyby target for NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft?

Cheers, Udo

--------------------
But to be a lament on the lips of the loved one is glorious, For the prosaic goes toneless to Orcus below. (Friedrich Schiller: Naenie)
Home of marspages.eu and plutoidenpages.eu

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Sep 20 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #249

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (udolein @ Sep 20 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Candidate for post-Pluto encounter - Plutino 15810...

The amateur search for post Pluto targets is no longer hosted by Zooniverse as mentioned in both the linked article and the Planetary Society blog post (linked in the article). It is now at http://cosmoquest.org/ as Ice Investigators.

In any case there are not currently any images available to search in. I guess Pamela Gay has her work cut out getting word out about Cosmoquest.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Oct 10 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #250

Member No.: 1700

Looks like there is a pre-Pluto target smile.gif PS article on the Ice Hunters

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 11 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #251

Member No.: 5221

Looks like the actual photos won't be any better then that asteroid a few years ago;, but I'm sure the team will take what they can get. Not like a detour is possibly anyway...

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 11 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #252

QUOTE (brellis @ Oct 10 2012, 07:38 PM) *
Looks like there is a pre-Pluto target...

I see at least one UMSF contributor there.

"Along with the New Horizons search team, the citizen scientists of Ice Hunters assisted in identifying 2011 HM102 in recovery images. The names of those that detected 2011 HM102 are listed below:
T. Demko ..."

+Quote Post
tdemko
post Oct 12 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #253

Member No.: 9

My KBO L5 Neptune Trojan identifying skills seem to have been much better than my spherule mineralogy identifying skills. wink.gif

Minor Planet Electronic Circular for 2011 HM102

--------------------
Tim Demko
BioLink site

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Apr 16 2013, 02:09 AM
Post #254

QUOTE (tdemko @ Oct 11 2012, 08:08 PM) *
My KBO L5 Neptune Trojan identifying skills seem to have been much better than my spherule mineralogy identifying skills. wink.gif
And now your name appears, along with other Ice Hunters, in appendix A of this paper. (PDF)

+Quote Post
tdemko
post May 7 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #255

Member No.: 9

It's nice to know that I contributed, in some small fashion, to the exploration of the solar system and beyond. The Ice Hunters project was very well designed, both from a contributor and end-user standpoint, and I hope that there are other similar opportunities for direct involvment in missions and data analysis. I hope that there will be imaging opportunites for New Horizons to view L5 Neptune Trojan 2011 HM102...it will be like connecting with someone you've only had a fleeting glimpse of, but now have the chance to learn much more!

--------------------
Tim Demko
BioLink site

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:05 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.