9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Member Questions to Administrators, Matters related to the Forum
iMPREPREX
post Jan 14 2013, 01:54 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6546

Thanks, Astro. I never knew I could do that (change the type of view) in a forum. Awesome!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jan 14 2013, 05:53 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (iMPREPREX @ Jan 13 2013, 09:54 PM) *
Thanks, Astro. I never knew I could do that (change the type of view) in a forum. Awesome!

Often it's clicking through search engine results that seems to do it. For whatever reason, Google spiders that view sometimes.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Feb 27 2013, 01:39 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 627

Ok Admins…

I need to throw this at ya…..

There was a conference earlier this month at UCLA on Mars Habitability: link below

http://planets.ucla.edu/meetings/mars-habi...y-2013/program/

A lot of fascinating talks on possibility of transient liquid water near the surface. Alfred McEwen gives a 30 min update on Mars RSL (Recurring Slope Lineae). They are now identifying sites at Vallis Marineris that track the sun. Also updates on Phoenix results are presented. Chemistry of perchlorates. A 60 min talk by Aswhin Vasavada on early MSL results from Gale (this is as of 02/04/2013) which I have not had time to watch yet.

Those are in the early sessions.

I have thought of posting the link in the discussion thread on 'List of Evidence of Water on Mars'. But the later talks concentrate on the possibilities for current life on Mars. A taboo subject here. Hate to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Take a look and see what you think. I could just post links to the earlier sessions.

Craig

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 27 2013, 11:15 PM
Post #34

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Craig,

Post the links to the speific papers, that fine.
Even the conference link is OK.

If we stopped every link to a space-related conference just because there might be a reference, paper or hallway chat about 'life' then we wouldn't have any links at all.

Members are fully aware of the rules on discussion of this issue on UMSF.
Referring to a conference where it might be one of a hundred topics does not breach that rule.
One caveat would be if the conference was specific to that topic.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Feb 28 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 627

Thanks Astro0...

I will post ...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 25 2013, 05:48 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 152

I noticed that the Oppy forum doesn't have a "fast reply" option, just the regular "add reply". Can someone include the "fast reply" option? Most other forums seem to include "fast reply".

Normally it wouldn't matter to me since I use "add reply", but I'm at a hotel and strangely the internet here doesn't allow me to use "add reply" - when I try nothing happens. "Fast reply", however, works fine. I'd like to post about Oppy!

Thanks.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jun 25 2013, 08:24 AM
Post #37

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

I'm discussing this with the other admins just to be certain there is no reason why this is not standard across all of the forums. if there is no reason for this ( and I'm not aware of any at this stage ) then we'll turn it on.

I'll get back to you shortly.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jun 26 2013, 08:14 AM
Post #38

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Fred - duly discussed, agreed and I've now made the changes.

There were about 10 sub-forums that had this turned off, I've changed it throughout to be consistently enabled. If I've missed any let me know.

+Quote Post
Y Bar Ranch
post Apr 21 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 2984

Rosetta subforum Por favor? Should be a high volume topic here shortly (fingers crossed).

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 21 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #40

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Done!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
infocat13
post May 29 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 479

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 21 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Done!

I would like to do a new post, normally its in the conferences section but I was hoping you folks would consider allowing it to live in the future mars projects section instead,
it would be a post about the mars 2020 lander landing site committee meeting of some weeks ago,
I spent most of last weekend spending at least 12 hours reading through every PDF file that was presented at the mars 2020 landing site conference and I think I make a decently good post on the conference proceedings and perhaps in future there could be sub threads or a poll on each landing site candidate?

years ago I spent alot of time reading up on landing site conferences of present missions and I see some new candidates not mentioned years ago, why?
MRO and mars express and other new data informs us of new possibility for landing sites

http://marsnext.jpl.nasa.gov/workshops/index.cfm

first thread has been covered here already but not in great detail,

http://marsnext.jpl.nasa.gov/workshops/201...n%205-13-14.pdf

so my first proposed thread would include, new proposed sites will subject to orbital imaging camping

http://marsnext.jpl.nasa.gov/workshops/201...straints_v6.pdf

The atmosphere will be thicker at mars 2020 EDL so many more landing sites are possible, and possibly a smaller landing ellipse do to some EDl software changes and mars 2020 will be able to land at higher elevations.

http://marsnext.jpl.nasa.gov/workshops/201...5_14_14_SCM.pdf

this is a "nontraditional" candidate landing site seems to meet the decadel survey and MEPAG requirements, would you vote for it? and why?

I propose to make a new thread with perhaps 3 or 4 of these candidate sites with a poll after seeing if the main post gathers any viewers

lastly I am going to post the first post here with administrators, to see if you like the content, if so can such a post be migrated to the right spot?

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 29 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #42

Good thought infocat13.
Give the team a day to think about the appropriate set up.

Cheers
Astro0

+Quote Post
infocat13
post May 30 2014, 12:18 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 29 2014, 06:39 PM) *
Good thought infocat13.
Give the team a day to think about the appropriate set up.

Cheers
Astro0

ok thanks!

more thoughts,
at what point does a approved mission move from future mission to mars missions?
remember the record traffic this sight had on curiosity landing day? an exciting 4 year talk on landing site committee proceedings and polls here on sets of landing sites could be an enabling in powering discussion to point to on mars 2020 landing day
curiosity landing site committee was full of proposed traverses such as phil does

indeed the landing site committee really does not have such a public input, and this is what the planetary society does right? UNC could be that citizen landing site committee!
if we built it would they come?
perhaps not................
not at first.
does the planetary society ever refer readers here?

landing site committee conferences has to be the most exciting idea for citizen participation I can think of even if its low key here..................
and you never know the folks who post here have an eye for orbital imagery and perhaps if we did this we could make a contribution to the landing site committee in the next 4 years?

mars missions forum
mars 2020
in future missions (existing thread)
they discuss technology
transfer to mars missions thread or leave there for now
make thread header
add subthreads......................
mars landing committees goals and engineering
proposed landing committee presentations
does it meet MEPAG and decadle survey goals?
vote on landing targets!
not sure how to order them for a vote,how does the landing committee vote?
our ums could set our poll to reflect what they do, or not
ooops I am repeating myself sorry

so we need a sandbox here

it would have new thread in mods section to write a complex post for review before ............................

posting

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 30 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #44

The Forum has a major aversity to running polls, so I dont think we'll be doing that.

Like any section on the Forum, discussion topics will evolve over time.
The Admin/Mod Team are trying to keep some logical structure in each section and in the future to avoid us having to do major restructring (eg: the recent rebuild of the New Horizons section) we want to keep a tighter reign on the larger covering sub-forums. Topics need to follow a structure that allows future readers to get a clear picture of how the mission evolved and progressed.

+Quote Post
infocat13
post May 30 2014, 01:03 AM
Post #45

Cool I look foreword to your thoughts on the restructuring of the mars 2020 thread and the next 4 years of MEPAg mars lander committee reports....................

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.