Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL development & assembly, Until it's shipped to the Cape
tharrison
post Sep 20 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 5163

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 17 2010, 12:00 PM) *

I've updated these pages so that the links to the full-res versions are now working (in addition to my CTX/MARCI operations duties, I'm also one of the MSSS webmasters as we try to migrate the old website over to a more modern-looking interface). This morning I also posted an updated page of Mastcam pre-launch images and video:

http://www.msss.com/science/msl-mastcam-pr...unch-images.php

Enjoy!

~Tanya

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 20 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #107

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I almost miss the old-school MSSS website - it takes me back to 1997 all over again.

But on the upside - a huge thanks the the additional content, amazing to see MastCAM video

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 20 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 530

Really, you must incorporate an HTML table with fat borders just for nostalgia. wink.gif I'll forgive you for dropping serif fonts. sigh.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Sep 20 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 3988

Very nice images AND VIDEO!! smile.gif. I am wondering if there is any particular technical reason for the vignetting in the corners of Mastcam? I have noticed in the side shots with the famous swiss army knife, that on the front of the lens assembly's, there are protruding tabs or some sort in all four corners on both camera's. Is this intentional?

+Quote Post
tharrison
post Sep 21 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 5163

QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Sep 20 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Very nice images AND VIDEO!! smile.gif. I am wondering if there is any particular technical reason for the vignetting in the corners of Mastcam? I have noticed in the side shots with the famous swiss army knife, that on the front of the lens assembly's, there are protruding tabs or some sort in all four corners on both camera's. Is this intentional?

The vignetting is due to the filter wheel. The Mastcam CCD is 1600x1200, but the intention has always been to only send back a 1200x1200 portion such that we're not wasting bits sending back the parts of the image affected by vignetting.

Someday we should auction off that "famous" Swiss army knife on eBay or something... laugh.gif

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 21 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #111

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

this past Friday (Sept 17, 2010)....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 21 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 682

Lucky man!
But make sure you check Emily's entry here: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002675/

--------------------

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Sep 21 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 21 2010, 12:21 PM) *
this past Friday (Sept 17, 2010)....

Nice photos... Pretty interesting that they already uninstalled Curiosity's robotic arm

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 21 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #114

Founder

For those wondering - I think they're doing something with MARDI during those tests - that spot pattern is right underneath it.

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Sep 22 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 535

ChemCam instrument delivered to JPL for installation onto Curiosity

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-310

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Sep 22 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #116

Guests

QUOTE (climber @ Sep 21 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Lucky man!
But make sure you check Emily's entry here: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002675/

Whoa, in that video about the wheels they are saying that the aluminium they're made of only has the thickness of seven pieces of paper! So the aluminium wheels are actually "springy" and flexible, and that is part of the suspension system! - Amazing.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 22 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #117

QUOTE (Oersted @ Sep 23 2010, 01:18 AM) *
Whoa, in that video about the wheels they are saying that the aluminium they're made of only has the thickness of seven pieces of paper! So the aluminium wheels are actually "springy" and flexible, and that is part of the suspension system! - Amazing.

...and they rely on this system for landing!
Vertical velocity at landing is going to be very close to zero, I'd say...and I'm more concerned by horizontal velocity. I quite do not understand yet how the crane works in this respect. I don't think they are going to use the rude retro rocket system used on MER?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 22 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #118

Founder

The MER wheels are designed to be slightly flexible as well. It helps just take the edge of the worst of the jarring from driving over rocks ( if you remember Emily's videos of the MSL Scarecrow driving around the remodelled Mars Yard....there are thuds and drops and bangs and crunches)

And despite the MER wheels being designed with that flight flex, I've seen a grown man stand on one on one leg and do everything short of jump up and down on it.

Which bit of the crane don't you understand? The radar can identify and then use the liquid rockets to zero-out the horizontal velocity. Think of the Phoenix landing. Now instead of stopping at an altitude of 0 metres, you just stop slightly higher whilst lowering the rover on the bridle.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 23 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #119

Thanks Doug for clarification.
I was refering to the video as well were we can see the landing simulations. My feeling was that, if vertical velocity was relatively easy to control using the bridle, horizontal velocity was harder to manage because of wind or pendulum effect....so stressing the boogy system in the "wrong" axis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Sep 23 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #120

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Wow they have some big wheel tie downs on Curiosity.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.