Reply to this topicStart new topic
LightSail 2, Planetary Society solar sail mission
nprev
post Jun 24 2019, 02:49 AM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

We are now just over 24 hours away from the beginning of the launch window for the third Falcon 9 Heavy from Kennedy Space Center, which among other payloads wlll carry The Planetary Society's LightSail 2 spacecraft. We'll talk about it here. smile.gif

GO LIGHTSAIL!!! GO TPS!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 25 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Well, it made it into orbit & apparently sail deployment will occur in about a week.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 3 2019, 01:45 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

The spacecraft has successfully separated from its host Prox-1 and has downlinked. Full story and details of future events here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 7 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Panel (and panel-mounted camera) deployment occurred on Friday evening US Pacific time. Images and status update here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jul 24 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

i remember the efforts to get this going in the 90s, its been such a long time coming, but finally here it is!
they put together a cool gif anim of the unfurling sails

images look much better than i expected, all raw images are here

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 25 2019, 12:46 AM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Truly a triumph for citizen science and the realization of a dream long held. Congratulations to the LightSail team!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jul 25 2019, 02:37 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Lovely views! I still remember the disappointment with Cosmos 1; glad to see there are more reliable launchers these days!
Now to look forward to Lightsail being spotted from the ground...

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jul 25 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Jul 25 2019, 03:37 AM) *
Lovely views! I still remember the disappointment with Cosmos 1; glad to see there are more reliable launchers these days!
Now to look forward to Lightsail being spotted from the ground...

Me also!!

I am more excited to see what sort of data they gather. They have speculated for hundreds of years about this sort of thing.

Bring on the data!!!

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 25 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (atomoid @ Jul 24 2019, 03:08 PM) *
i remember the efforts to get this going in the 90s, its been such a long time coming, but finally here it is!
they put together a cool gif anim of the unfurling sails
images look much better than i expected, all raw images are here

Thanks, that gif is mine biggrin.gif

Please have fun with the image data! The pictures are a lot better than I expected, too. I'm curious to see creative approaches to dealing with the bizarre wide-angle camera distortion. My approach is simply to enlarge the original photo by a factor of 5 or so, then apply the Photoshop geometric correction filter at its maximum level multiple times, then downsize to 2x original resolution. I don't find that sharpening the resulting image helps much, but I suspect I'm just not picking the right set of parameters.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.