5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Jupiter Approach, Until JOI
mcaplinger
post Jan 7 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

Today is Jupiter Orbit Insertion (JOI) minus 180 days. 53.5 days after JOI, Juno will make its next close pass to Jupiter, and that's when we expect to get the first good images from Junocam, although there may be some imaging during approach and earlier on the first orbit.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 7 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jan 7 2016, 01:19 AM) *
Today is Jupiter Orbit Insertion (JOI) minus 180 days...

An excerpt of this paper with the adjusted perijove times:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
propguy
post Jan 12 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6507

Coincidentally I took the attached photo at work the same day this topic was created. JOI used to seem so far off, but now it is just around the corner. Lots of test runs to review plus lots of planning work to go. July 4th will be a very long but fun night!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 13 2016, 02:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5221

Even if Juno doesn't take many images during approach, the other instruments will be active to detect entry into the magnetosphere, correct? Any idea when that would happened (I know the magnetic field is gigantic, but not sure exactly how large).

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jan 13 2016, 03:58 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5458

Using some rough math, I would say late March on into April there should be some detection of the magnetosphere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 13 2016, 03:58 AM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Juno does plan to take some images during approach. They have to turn off all the science instruments 5 days before JOI.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 13 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 12 2016, 07:58 PM) *
Juno does plan to take some images during approach.

Certainly, but at a range of 5.2e6 km on JOI-5d, Jupiter is about 40 pixels across, so they won't be great images. [Junocam, maybe JIRAM does better.]

Handy formula: Junocam Jupiter size in pixels ~ 210/d, d in millions of km

Attached Image

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 14 2016, 05:13 AM
Post #8

Juno just set a new record for solar power distance, beating out Rosetta's hibernation phase. Very impressive!
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4818

+Quote Post
propguy
post Feb 4 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6507

Juno performed TCM11 yesterday. All went as planned. Juno is now aimed at the Jupiter insertion point!

NASA's Juno Spacecraft Burns for Jupiter

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 4 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #10

BTW, I ran across this technical description of JIRAM -- http://www.ifsi-roma.inaf.it/jiram/downloa...Tech%20note.pdf -- that has some detail about how the instrument works. Its IFOV is about 2.8 times finer than Junocam's, so at JOI-5d Jupiter should be about 112 pixels across.

I haven't seen any inflight imaging from JIRAM yet. According to http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/jul2013/prese...o_efb_plans.pdf images were supposed to be taken of the Moon during EFB.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glenn Orton
post Feb 18 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7899

A Google tabular site has been created that displays observations planned by the Juno investigations, together with Earth-based supporting observations: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/planned-observations.

This will be regularly updated by the Juno science team and by the supporting observers.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Feb 22 2016, 01:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 4489

a few renders from the July 4 close approach

a very EARLY spice orbit add on and not yet using the spacecraft SPICE rotation yet

Celestia ,then will come the Cosmographia SPICE build add on

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 23 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 6780

Back from the Côte d'Azur in France, I see that the PDF versions of most of the talks of the Europlanet workshop: "Juno Ground-Based Support from Amateurs: Science and Public Impact", are already online.

Most of the sessions have been recorded by video. Providing the recordings online is pending.

(As a personal note: This has been a rare opportunity to find out that people you otherwise know only virtually via web are actually real! It seems, most of the participants shared this experience. Thanks to the orga-nice-rs, who made it possible! smile.gif )

+Quote Post
algorithm
post May 23 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6783

Nice pics, Looks like you had a great time with like minded people.

You are right, it's always nice to match a face with an online 'personality' smile.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 30 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #15

Entering 'Jupiter space' (by the standard of gravitational influence) https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/news.
Crossing the magnetosphere should be soon as well, I'm assuming? If the instruments are on they should detect the transition.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.