https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv4KDeo8cT0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
propguy
post Jul 5 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 6507

Finally home. What a night! I could do that again many times (the only more exciting time on console was watching Phoenix land on Mars). It was 5 years ago today I was in Cocoa Beach watching fireworks, prepping for Juno propellant load that week (seems like more than 5 years though). Not able to sleep yet but sitting back drinking a Belgium Tripel I bought in Brugge last year, watching my DVR of today's the Tour de France stage (I love to bike). Jupiter is so bright in the West sky at sunset right now, and now each night I and everyone on Juno can look up and know that we have something at that bright point of light. With Mars also bright to the South at sunset of makes a nice pair of spots in the sky. I worked Cassini many years ago (1st interplanetary mission) and cool to know I worked 2 of the 3 outer planet orbit insertions. How long the 7 year Cassini cruise seemed at launch and now it has been at Saturn for 12 years (I am starting to feel old).

Kudos to Mike Caplinger and all of MSS for that approach movie. It was much more awe inspiring that I had imagined. Really made me feel like we were looking out the (albeit spinning) port hole as we came into port Jupiter. The entire ops teams stopped to watch it when it was played in the press conference. Got to get to sleep now since we get playback data tomorrow. Go Juno!

+Quote Post
Mr Valiant
post Jul 5 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 5275

Great to see Aussie news highlighting the Juno mission.
I guess a minor nitpick, they are saying, Juno has entered Jupiter's
orbit. Should be, has entered orbit around Jupiter. No prob, most
people you speak to are very impressed.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 5 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (propguy @ Jul 5 2016, 03:37 AM) *
Kudos to Mike Caplinger and all of MSS for that approach movie. It was much more awe inspiring that I had imagined. Really made me feel like we were looking out the (albeit spinning) port hole as we came into port Jupiter. The entire ops teams stopped to watch it when it was played in the press conference. Got to get to sleep now since we get playback data tomorrow. Go Juno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsQimYhNkA (annotated)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 5 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #65

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

MOD NOTE: Since we're now past JOI, please shift the discussion to the new Juno At Jupiter topic. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 6 2016, 04:40 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (propguy @ Jul 5 2016, 12:37 AM) *
Kudos to Mike Caplinger and all of MSS for that approach movie.

Thank you. There hasn't been much discussion of how the movie was made. We took highly compressed RGB images once every 15 minutes for 17 days (every 30 minutes on day 1), from 12 June to 29 June, with a few multihour gaps. The decompressed and dark-subtracted images were processed through a pipeline I wrote in Python using the OpenCV toolkit, which finds the planet in each color band, subpixel registers the colors to each other, rotates the image to north up, attempts to mask out the planet and then stretches the background harder so that the moons are visible, and then composites everything together. (No spacecraft attitude telemetry was used because we weren't sure when the C kernels would be available.) Images where the planet was split across filter boundaries had to be fixed manually using a GUI I hacked together. Those frames were then handed off to my colleague Mike Ravine, who laboriously fixed all of the remaining stray light, noise pixels, color misregistration, etc by hand. Those were handed off to JPL for production.

Sorry about the lack of release of the raw data. That decision was made above the pay grade of anybody at MSSS.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jul 6 2016, 04:51 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 4489

No spacecraft attitude telemetry was used because we weren't sure when the C kernels would be available.

the only rotation kernels for july is the 2009 original "nominal"
"juno_sc_nom_110807_171016_v01.bc"
and location kernel
"spk_pre_160413_160913_160613_jm0002.bsp"

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 6 2016, 05:05 AM
Post #68

I believe that C kernel production is on a weekly cadence; the most recent, http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/JUNO/ker...9_160625_v01.bc was posted on 29 June and I expect the next set to come out tomorrow. This would have been too late for our processing, so it was the right call. Of course it's not clear that using C kernel information would have been better. Instead we just used OpenCV "blob detection".

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 9 2016, 11:05 PM
Post #69

Note that two flavors of our processed approach movie images are at https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing -- I think what they're calling "level 1" is color-registered but unstretched, and what they're calling "level 2" is rotated, stretched and hand-processed to remove noise and other artifacts from the automatic processing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 10 2016, 12:28 AM
Post #70

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

This is awesome -- I'm processing new thumbnails from them right now.

I noticed that frames 1154-1493 from the "level 2" set appear to be offset to the left from all the other frames by 150 pixels.

EDIT: I have now added the "Level 1" and "Level 2" images to my approach movie index page, and have replaced Gerald's thumbnails with ones cropped from the Level 2 data.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 10 2016, 04:44 AM
Post #71

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 9 2016, 04:28 PM) *
I noticed that frames 1154-1493 from the "level 2" set appear to be offset to the left from all the other frames by 150 pixels.

Yes, that seemed to creep in during the manual processing phase and would have to be fixed before someone made a movie just from those frames.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brian Swift
post May 4 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 8250

Jupiter Approach Time-lapse | JunoCam | 360° VR, 8K

Here is a 360° time lapse made from the TDI=4 images at the start of the approach movie frames.

https://youtu.be/QDw8dtyQRSg

Initial scene has basic processing, just averaging 24 frames and stretching brightness 25x.

Second scene is more heavily enhanced to highlight detectable stars and moon motions.

Here is a full resolution frame:

Just Stacked Processing
https://flic.kr/p/245rNnC

More heavily processed
https://flic.kr/p/245rN9G

[Moderator note: Removed the Flickr images that got loaded here and left the links only. Reason: The images are very big and therefore it took a lot of time to load this thread and some browsers also don't handle this well]

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.