9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam "Marble Movie", July 10 through October 14
Gerald
post Aug 16 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

On a Windows/DOS operating system, this batch executed in the same directory as the unzipped raw image files renamed the files for me to the usual JNCE raw filename convention:
Attached File  rename_raw_marble_movie_images_parts_3_and_4.bat ( 95.74K ) Number of downloads: 380
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 17 2016, 01:59 AM
Post #32

A first draft of "Marble Movie" until frame #4676 (parts 1 to 4).

The sequence ends near apojove, when Juno crosses the plane of the Galilean satellites.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 17 2016, 03:28 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 16 2016, 12:55 PM) *
Edit: File naming convention changed. Filename contains image number in hexadecimal and iso time.

Sorry about that. Those are the names we receive the data files as, while the JNCE names are more or less the same as the equivalent PDS products. The former names were used by mistake. We'll correct that as soon as possible.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 19 2016, 06:25 AM
Post #34

I've identified the cause of two flickerings in the movie:
- C4192 doesn't show Jupiter, and
- C3242 violates the divisibility of the height by 128.

---

In the meanwhile I've been able to find a good ("level 1") parameter set for part 3 of the Marble Movie.
I'll prepare a post with more detail in a few hours.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 19 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #35

"Level 1"-ish images of Marble Movie part 3, and an according preliminary moon-enhanced "level-2" rendition.

I've used 16 images near the beginning of part 3 to infer four almost-best-fit parameters for the Jupiter color channel centroid alignment for each of the images, within a 7-parameter camera model family, after choosing three parameters as constant within three chosen degrees of freedom.
Attached Image

For rendition, I've used the three chosen constants, and for the other four parameters roughly the respective mean.

Chosen and inferred parameters of the calibration run as CSV:
Attached File  JNCE_2016211_00C3340_V01_calib04.BMP_optimizedParams_all_CSV.txt ( 2.84K ) Number of downloads: 388

The four inferred parameters are a function of the three chosen constant parameters. The method allows to choose any three of the seven parameters freely, and to infer the other four from the images.

---

In the meanwhile, a similar calibration run for part 4 is performed. The parameters look rather similar to those for part 3. I'll try to provide the according level 1-ish stills of part 4 later today.

---

Part 2 is more tricky, and might require recalibration for individual images over some parts of the sequence.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 19 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #36

I've added the level 1-ish stills and preliminary level 2 AVI animation of a refined calibrated version of part 4 of "Marble Movie".

Remarkable is an occultation of Jupiter by Ganymede, combined with Io's shadow around image #4046.
Annotated preliminary level 2:
Attached Image

(edit: submitted to missionjuno for approval)

Level 2 without annotation:
Attached Image

Animated gif of 8 level 1 images:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 20 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #37

For the model parameter oscillations starting near images #2449 and #2529, I've determined a parameter set for rgb aligning the Jupiter centroids for each image:
Attached Image

Determining the parameters took about 5.5 minutes per image.
Here the CSV version:
Attached File  junocam_calib_marble_movie_wobble_csv.txt ( 22.23K ) Number of downloads: 365

With these time series I'm pretty sure to be able to render well-rgb-aligned images for the tricky end of Marble Movie part 1, and start of part 2.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 20 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #38

Here the preliminary level 2 version of this difficult wobble sequence as AVI:
Attached File  juno_marble_enhMoonsGrey_proc004_wobble_1_001_.avi ( 875.93K ) Number of downloads: 461

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 20 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 20 2016, 09:12 AM) *
With these time series I'm pretty sure to be able to render well-rgb-aligned images for the tricky end of Marble Movie part 1, and start of part 2.

For those of you who may be wondering what makes some parts of the movie different from others -- we're not doing anything different as the movie progresses, other than changing the number of frames and the mix between RGB and CH4 a little as we experimented. Nor do I think the camera intrinsic parameters are changing very much. The main thing that's changing is the spacecraft pointing and spin rate. The spacecraft nominally has the HGA pointing at the Earth, so its pointing slowly evolves as the Earth moves (the tracking is done stepwise rather than continuously.) Every once in a while there's an adjustment to maintain the axis and spin rate. And there have been some fairly large pointing excursions from time to time for calibration activities for the other instruments. The latter is the largest effect -- if you look at where Jupiter is in the raw frames you can see it jump across the field by a few hundred pixels and then jump back. All of these pointing changes are visible in the spacecraft C kernels.

There may also be some timing slop in the reported image timestamps relative to when the first frame also starts exposure, and perhaps some drift in the interframe time spacing, which is set by a crystal oscillator in the camera. I'm still working to characterize that, but it only amounts to a few pixels of offset.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 21 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #40

Preliminary level 2 "Marble Movie" Parts 1 to 4. RGB alignment issue resolved, moon dimming near Jupiter pending.

Next, I'll work on a zip of the according level 1 stills. Might be completed later today, or early tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 22 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #41

Level 1 rgb stills, parts 1 and 2, most of which revised for RGB alignment since the first preliminary version.
(Parts 3 and 4 uploaded before.)

Edit: I've added a zip with processing parameters. Sorry for the filenames only matching in respective substrings; making everything fully formally consistent would have consumed more time than I can currently spend for this detail; filenames should be sufficiently unique to avoid confusion.

+Quote Post
Brian Burns
post Aug 22 2016, 03:38 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 7991

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 21 2016, 12:43 PM) *
Preliminary level 2 "Marble Movie" Parts 1 to 4. RGB alignment issue resolved, moon dimming near Jupiter pending.

I must admit I don't understand all the math behind how you do these, but this is great - it's very stable and the moons are really bright.

I've got a similar issue with the moons of Uranus, which are pretty dim compared to the planet, so I might need to enhance them also at some point - maybe some kind of logarithmic brightening (?).

Have you thought of posting these to Reddit? There are ~4000 subscribers on https://www.reddit.com/r/junomission that I'm sure would appreciate these.

Can't wait to see the rest of the approach sequence!

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 22 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #43

As soon as I'll be at a quality level I'm happy with, I'll submit the results to the official missionjuno site, as a central location for the Juno project. But if anyone likes to use the intermediate versions as they are, they may work with them. I'd think level 1, parts 1-4, are ok by now; level 2 can be improved; that's what I'm going to elaborate.
There are people at Reddit who observe the missionjuno site, so I'm rather sure, that some of the processings will eventually show up there; actually part of the Marble Movie has already been discussed at Reddit. Maintaining a Reddit thread is currently beyond my limited ressources.

Re moon enhancement: I've used a (2d) distance estimate from Jupiter to gradually change the enhancement functions within a ring-like zone around Jupiter. It's implemented as an intentional side effect of filling a Voronoi-like cell around Jupiter defined as distance zero.

To obtain an image like this
Attached Image

from a level-1 image, I'm first calculating a Voronoi cell filled with onion-layer-like equidistance shells, roughly visualised by this image:
Attached Image

The distance function (including its explicite representation as an indexed array of equidistance lines) is the basis for gamma-, stretch-, greyscaling, and percentile functions.
I'm using percentiles within each equidistance line to estimate background level and brightness maxima neglecting outliers.

But I think, that adding kind of motion enhancement to the method bears the potential to provide better results. Exploring this refined approach is my immediate next goal.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 22 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #44

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Thanks for the thumbnails, Gerald.

Here is a browse page to all the Marble Movie data released so far.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 22 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #45

First, I'm grateful, that you've found a usable way to manage this large number of images, Emily!
So, I barely dare to ask about the source of the "range" data, since I don't see a connection to the "SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE" attribute of the json files.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.