8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijoves 2 and 3, October 19 and December 11, 2016
Candy Hansen
post Oct 26 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7013

A lot has happened and it seemed like a good time to start a new post. We will be staying in 53 day orbits until the project has a full understanding of the risks that may or may not be associated with reducing the orbit period to 14 days per our previous plan.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Oct 26 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #2

At the press conference last week I showed many beautifully processed images from amateurs, including many from this community. Thank you all very much! They were well-received, and in particular one reporter from space.com would like to follow up with a story on some of the individuals doing this great work. Please contact me if you would like to be interviewed, and I will get you connected.

+Quote Post
Candy Hansen
post Oct 26 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #3

At this moment we are trying to find the best time to get JunoCam powered back on to go back to collecting marble movie images. In any case we expect to be on for full image collection through Perijove 3 on December 11.

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Oct 27 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7822

QUOTE (Candy Hansen @ Oct 26 2016, 08:46 PM) *
At the press conference last week I showed many beautifully processed images from amateurs, including many from this community. Thank you all very much! They were well-received, and in particular one reporter from space.com would like to follow up with a story on some of the individuals doing this great work. Please contact me if you would like to be interviewed, and I will get you connected.

Thank you so much for using my images at the press conference. It was a great honor for me and a big pleasure to know that these images were shown there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glenn Orton
post Oct 28 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7899

Until and unless we figure out how to fix or find a way to work around the engine sticky-valve issue, the new orbit perijoves will be on 2016 Dec 11 (PJ3), 2017 Feb 2 (PJ4), Mar 27 (PJ5), May 18 (PJ6), Jul 10 (PJ7), Sep 2 (PJ8), Oct 25 (PJ9). It's like that a solution/workaround will not be figured out until the time frame of PJ7.

This will affect not only the mission, but nearly all of the Earth-based support campaign.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 28 2016, 11:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 321

I'm curious, should the engine problem be unresolved, if the mission will run the same number of perijoves over a longer span of time or a lesser number of perijoves over a mission of the planned duration, or something between the two.

Given a solar panel power supply, it would seem that absolute mission duration would not be the bottleneck, although a longer mission would surely have more costly ground support needs.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 28 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Here's a good article from Spaceflight Now that answers some of your questions.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 29 2016, 03:19 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 321

Thanks for the link, Emily. That's pretty reassuring that Juno should still meet all of its goals.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 2 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I was going to make a new thread for PJ3, but I realized how short this "post-PJ1" thread was, so I just changed its title to cover both perijoves.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 25 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6780

Voting for PJ3 targets started. It will last another 5 days. This perijove allows only for a small number of targets to be imaged beyond images of the poles and test imaging. Recently we had an outbreak near the northern tropical belt, one of the regions which might be of interest.
The locations of the features open to be voted on have been extrapolated. They are expected to be within reach for JunoCam during PJ-3.

+Quote Post
MichaelJWP
post Dec 12 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6521

Normally an 'interested lurker' here, but just noticed that PJ3 was yesterday but no updates on the forum or the Juno website? Anyone know if the data-gathering was successful?

(On a side note has public interest already dropped off on this mission, hope not!)

- Michael

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Dec 12 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #12

New images have been scheduled to be published on Wednesday this week, I guess late in the night UTC.
As far as I can say from a distance, everyone involved is very busy with analysing the PJ1 data, and eagerly awaiting the PJ3 data, and/or performing accompanying ground-based observations.
There is also an AGU conference this week, in parallel.

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Dec 12 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 557

Here are the plans for P3: LINK

Last update on Twitter was 22 hours ago. Nothing since, either good or bad.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Dec 12 2016, 02:27 PM
Post #14

Goldstone is downlinking data with 119.57 kb/sec:
Attached Image
I'd interpret this as Juno being healthy and having collected lots of data.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 12 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (MichaelJWP @ Dec 12 2016, 02:35 AM) *
Anyone know if the data-gathering was successful?

... has public interest already dropped off on this mission...

We've been steadily getting Junocam data and as of now have maybe 2/3rds of it. I think everyone will be pleased with the more favorable lighting on this pass, and it looks like the tweaks we made to the compression commanding have worked. I'm not sure when this will get pushed out to missionjuno. Normally we would wait for the whole dataset to show up and the DSN schedule has been spotty, for example, we were on the 34m net at Madrid last night and the data rate is low.

On the topic of public interest, obviously nothing new has happened since PJ1 apart from the problems with the propulsion system. All of the media reports I've seen have been supportive and enthusiastic about the mission. This was the first pass for public target voting, which had fairly good participation.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:04 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.