post May 25 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/junoteleconference

Many surprises!

Jupiter not uniform below clouds!

Giant ammonia plume comes up from equator!

Core diffuse, possibly dissolving!

Magnetic field up close has surprised!

Congrats on the amateur images everyone!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 25 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6780

Here a link to the abstracts of the GRL special issue "Early Results: Juno at Jupiter".

+Quote Post
hendric
post May 26 2017, 06:21 AM
Post #3

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6340

Science magazine also has a couple of articles on Juno results.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post May 26 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4251

Full news conference with slides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o9FiTf1vZE

Time markers:
01:15 Diane Brown intro
02:43 Scott Bolton, orbit overview, three methods to peer into interior
09:20 microwave results (down to 350 km below clouds)
16:00 gravity field discussion
17:00 Jack Connerney with magnetic field results
20:00 aurorae
22:30 particle impact detections
24:10 Heidi Becker with view looking OUT past rings at Orion, no radiation hits to image sensor
27:45 Candy Hansen with JunoCam
34:45 back to Scott Bolton for audible radio results and next orbit plans

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 27 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

ADMIN NOTE: Edited topic title to make this an omnibus thread for Juno findings (pressers, papers, etc.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 27 2017, 11:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 321

I was curious about the estimated mass of heavy elements in Jupiter, which is possibly the single most fundamental statistic that Juno can derive. At this admittedly very early point in Juno's mission, the paper by Wahl, et al estimated 7-25 Earth masses. Keep in mind that Militzer, et al (2008) estimated the same at 14-18 Earth masses, which is better constrained. Hopefully, the remaining (>90%) of Juno's orbits will nail this down much better. (I wonder if the earlier result actually had a greater uncertainty… some research admits to some fundamental unknowns and derive results that are presuming some quantities that aren't actually known.)

What Jupiter's structure is like tells us about the evolution and dynamics of large planets, but the bulk composition tells us the really fundamental thing – what kinds of protoplanetary clouds make what kinds of planetary systems in general.

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 16 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 110

Michael Wong‏ @Miquai

Until today, I have never had a class that audibly FREAKED OUT at something a professor showed. What a time to be alive.
3:07 PM - 29 Sep 2017 from Pasadena, CA

https://twitter.com/Miquai/status/913887910637715458

In reference to a Juno result that was under embargo, perhaps it will revealed at the DPS meeting this week.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 19 2017, 03:05 AM
Post #8

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Sadly, no Juno press briefing this week. I'm told AGU should be good.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jan 11 2018, 04:42 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 424

Is there any likelihood that a video of Scott Bolton's AAS231 plenary session lecture on results from the Juno mission will be publicly released?

I read something on the AAS website to the effect that videotapes of ordinary meeting sessions are posted on the AAS members' site as a "member benefit," but I was hoping that the video of this lecture wouldn't be restricted to members.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 11 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #10

Some people have posted on Twitter photos of and comments about Bolton's Jan. 9 lecture. Some of the Twitter quotes are ambiguous or cryptic, but there are some definite and stunning new discoveries.

• Cyclones circling Jupiter's north pole form an octagon, whereas the south pole shows a pentagon.
• Jupiter's magnetic field twice as strong as expected.
• More lightning than expected.
• Odd-numbered harmonics in gravitational field expected to be zero, but aren't.
• Impossible for one or two entry probes to provide the big picture. (Implications for future Saturn, etc. missions.)
• Aurorae somehow switch off at night.
• Great Red Spot has roots that reach much more deeply (>350 km) into atmosphere than zones and belts do.
• All heavy elements enriched (over solar) by same amount, except water is depleted. (Galileo Probe result?)

Overall: "Everything" we thought we knew about Jupiter's interior before Juno was wrong.

I note from IR images that most polar cyclones have swirling hot/cold centers, but three at south pole cold only.

As mentioned in previous releases:
• Larger, fuzzy core instead of small, compact one or none.
• River of gases rich in ammonia flowing from depths up to surface near equator.

Profoundly spectacular video showing a dive through the Great Red Spot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lsKC1NVaqw

A long approach video shows Galileans orbiting "half" Jupiter for (several?) weeks.

My sense is that this talk seems to have contained more significant discoveries concerning one world than we've seen in a long time except maybe Pluto; that's rather stunning when one considers that this is the sixth mission dedicated to Jupiter, and moreover, that the mission isn't half over.

+Quote Post
jman0war
post Feb 27 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7308

Wow some very nice image processing on this forum.
I hope someone assembles a best-of and puts them into a single thread someday.

How close to those cloud tops do you think humanity will ever mange to reach ?

Via unmanned satellite of course.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 27 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5221

Well we had the Galileo probe, which went right through the cloud tops (and below!) in 1995. Do you mean the lowest possible orbit?

+Quote Post
jman0war
post Feb 27 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7308

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 27 2018, 08:55 PM) *
Well we had the Galileo probe, which went right through the cloud tops (and below!) in 1995. Do you mean the lowest possible orbit?

Ah, i guess i don't remember seeing any stunning images like these.
I do remember the moons though.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 28 2018, 04:16 AM
Post #14

The Galileo Probe had no camera. There's no guarantee that a view from inside the clouds would be interesting, or – even if beautiful – scientifically rewarding, and it would have been a very expensive instrument needing a lot of bandwidth during a very short time window.

The Galileo Orbiter returned some very nice images of Jupiter's clouds, but Juno is producing a more stunning gallery, thanks to people on this board and others. There were no programmatic scientific investigations for JunoCam, but it seems increasingly likely that there'll be scientific value had from them sooner or later.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 28 2018, 06:44 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (JRehling @ Feb 27 2018, 08:16 PM) *
The Galileo Probe had no camera... it would have been a very expensive instrument needing a lot of bandwidth during a very short time window.

There was actually a proposal for a low-cost camera that fit within the data allocation for the Galileo probe, but it wasn't selected.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.