IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Emily's KBO diagram, under development and open for discussion
ngunn
post Feb 17 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

In this post Emily demonstrates an interesting way to depict the movements of Kuiper Belt objects: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003381/

I like this diagram. It reminds me of lissajous figures on an oscilloscope screen in the case where the x and y signals have the same frequency but differing phase relationships. I agree with the idea of reducing the size of the objects' position and direction markers. Perhaps tiny triangles could serve in both capacities by being oriented to point along the 'orbits'. I would like to see Sedna included since the (so far) unique nature of its motion would stand out well. I think its trajectory during at least the second half of the 600 year timespan in question would fit on the diagram.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
remcook
post Feb 20 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #2

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

Looks like another fun project!

Perhaps you could also add small tick marks (or black dots or something) every X years along the orbit to get a sense of time?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.