2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Help searching HiRISE images
RobertEB
post Mar 9 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 776

Does anyone know if HiRISE images are available on a click-able Mars map, similar to the way MOC images are?

I am trying to find any HiRISE images in these two locations;

North Syrtis Major Area

West Hellas Planitia Area

All I can find is a search by theme feature.

Thank you.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Mar 9 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4350

The HiRISE Online Image Viewer has some of them:
http://marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov/HiRISE/hirise_images/

If you click Search at the HiRISE site you can search by coordinates.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 9 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #3

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Here you go...

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobertEB
post Mar 9 2009, 08:38 PM
Post #4

Thank you Fran and Stu. That is what I am looking for.

I searched like crazy to find something like that, but had no luck.

Robert

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 9 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #5

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

You're welcome. That site I linked to is dangerously addictive tho... I like to go on there and play "HiRISE Lucky Dip": just click on random red squares representing a HiRISE image and see what appears. I've found some of my favourite places doing that. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 9 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Yeah, it's amazing to me how ill-publicized that website is, given how incredibly useful it is. I can't remember anymore how I stumbled on it myself but I'm sure glad I did! My only criticism of the site, and it's a minor one, is that you can't (as far as I know) use it to locate any of the Mars missions images of places other than Mars, like Phobos and Deimos.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
RobertEB
post Mar 9 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #7

This image is close to my top link

Ten years ago, I was searching MOC images for hot springs. That one MOC above was the closest I could find. It has all these interesting looking channels that appear to originate from craters. I have been hoping the HiRISE imaged that same area so I can get a closer look.

I even sent in a request to the MOC team that they get more images of the site. They eventually got me some more images, but I still couldn't resolve what those channels are.

I'll have to study this new image. It is not exactly where that other one was taken, but it is close and has some of the similar features.

I notice it is a potential MSL Lander site. I would love to see it explore this area. There is some very interesting geology here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobertEB
post Mar 9 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #8

This HiRISE image is close to my second one.

Deep in the depth of the Hellas Basin, where temperatures and pressure sometime gets to where liquid water can briefly exist, lies a terrain that looks like it has been twisted in a taffy machine.

Are we looking at sedimentary layers that were twisted and metamorphised by the impact that create Hellas? This landscape has puzzed me for some time. I would love to see a Rover explore this area.

There are a lot of HiRISE images in this area I want to study.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobertEB
post Mar 9 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #9

I am embarrassed to say I don't know how to read what the color represents in the HiRISE color images.

What does the blue represent, about 1/3 the way down this photo?

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobertEB
post Mar 9 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #10

There is a 3rd area of Mars that fascinates me. Its just to the north of that first image I posted. I see many features that remind me of glaciers. It is in this area. Unfortunalty, it doesn't look like HiRISE has taken many pictures here. I'll have to study those that it has taken.

Lots of new pictures for me to dive it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 9 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #11

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It doesn't represent anything.

From the HiRISE FAQ - http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/faq/

"What do RED, BG, and IR mean?
These are shorthand titles for the different types of CCDs HiRISE has. The HiRISE camera has three different color filtered CCDs: red ("RED"), blue-green ("BG"), and near-infrared ("IR"). The wavelengths of these filters are as follows: RED: 570-830 nanometers BG: <580 nanometers IR: >790 nanometers

What are the BG and IR EDRs, and How are They Different from RED?
There are ten RED CCDs, two BG CCDs, and two IR CCDs. Combining the images taken by the three different color filters allows us to create "false" color images. The BG and IR CCDs are aligned with the center two RED CCDs, providing a two-CCD-wide color swath. This means that the images captured in the BG and IR products are aligned with the images captured in the RED4 and RED5 CCDs.

What does “false color” Mean?
"False" color means that the color you see in HiRISE images is not the "true" color human eyes would see on Mars. This is because the HiRISE camera views Mars in a different part of the spectrum than human eyes do. Nevertheless, false color imagery is extremely valuable because it illuminates the distinction between different materials and textures."

+Quote Post
imipak
post Mar 9 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 617

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 9 2009, 08:47 PM) *
dangerously addictive

Wow. When this is your first pick - yes, I can see "addictive", alright:

http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/PDS/EXTR...RED.abrowse.jpg

Lateral moraines, yes?

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 9 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #13

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (imipak @ Mar 9 2009, 02:06 PM) *
Lateral moraines, yes?

Indeed, my first thought too. I can't imagine anything else. And we are fortunate to be able to skip the debate over "was there ever ice on Mars."

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 10 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (RobertEB @ Mar 9 2009, 03:32 PM) *
This HiRISE image is close to my second one.

Deep in the depth of the Hellas Basin, where temperatures and pressure sometime gets to where liquid water can briefly exist, lies a terrain that looks like it has been twisted in a taffy machine.

Are we looking at sedimentary layers that were twisted and metamorphised by the impact that create Hellas? This landscape has puzzed me for some time. I would love to see a Rover explore this area.

You and me both!

To me, this looks like Hellas was once situated on or near a pole. That looks like the polar layered terrain, except that all the ice has been removed. You see a lot of that taffy-like look at the edges of some of the polar layered terrain, it's highly reminiscent of these images of Hellas.

I would be very, very skeptical of the idea that you're seeing old terrain that used to underlie Hellas. When a basin that large is formed, you pretty well demolish the entire target, sometimes to depths well into the mantle. These landforms are far more well preserved than anything I would expect to see underneath the basin floor. Also, on Mars, a basin like this would fill in over time, not be continually scoured down to below the original basin floor. I'd almost have to believe that anything we see on the floor of Hellas has been deposited since the basin's formation.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 10 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #15

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Quite right, Doug... and another point - very few impact craters. Compare this with a HiRISE image of Gusev, where there are craters everywhere on the plains. This is a young site.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.