Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sojourner Camera Specification
djellison
post May 17 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Anyone know any info-sources for the specification of the Sojourner cameras - the two front B'n'W cameras, and the 3 band rear camera?

I cant find ANYTHING - and I mean..ANYTHING online about them. f.o.v., resolution - and I assume they must have had some articulation or selective sub-frame sampling as they often took images in seemingly different directions

The PDS archives are very shoddy - the mosaic and anaglyph sections are not even online.

Any and all pointers much appreciated smile.gif

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post May 17 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 45

Doug,

I found this > Pathfinder which had this to say:

The black and white cameras are mounted in a fixed position on the front of the rover, separated horizontally to provide stereo coverage. Each camera is boresighted straight ahead but directed 22.5° below horizontal to view the ground in front of the rover. Each camera has a mass of about 40 grams and is composed of a very wide angle 4 mm lens which focused the image onto a CCD array. The wide-angle distortion was corrected by image processing on the ground. The field of view for each camera is 127.5° horizontal by 94.5° vertical. The CCD is a 768x484 pixel array made up of rectangular elements with resolution of 2.9 mradian/pixel horizontal and 3.4 mradian/pixel vertical.

The color camera is mounted in a fixed position on the rear of the rover. Like the black and white cameras, it weighs about 40 grams and consists of a 4 mm wide-angle lens and a CCD array. The CCD array has the same specifications as for the black and white cameras, except the camera is oriented so that the long dimension of the field of view is vertical instead of horizontal and the boresight angle is 40° below horizontal. This gives a view of the APXS instrument and a rear wheel. Each pixel of the CCD has an individual red, green, or blue color mask to produce the color pictures.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and I found this too, which I thought you'd appreciate...Sojourner model

Eric P / MizarKey

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 17 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Founder

Much appreciated - it seems they tended to downlink from rover->lander the imagery in small chunks - be it 1/6th of a full frame, or 1/3rd of a frame

Pity there's not much info on this out and about though sad.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #4

Founder

Oh my - the BIG Haul...

http://pdsimg.jpl.nasa.gov/data/mpfr-m-rvr...ment/rcinst.htm

smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:42 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.