5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
List of evidence for water on Mars
serpens
post Aug 27 2016, 03:14 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4605

Well Spirit at Tyrone demonstrated that a thin layer of regolith can provide for a relative humidity gradient protecting hydrated salts. If the regolith is breached then the atmosphere acts as a desiccant. This could explain the appearance and then disappearance of limited amounts of hydrated salts in RSL and would not contradict this latest measurement. Or is could be something else. I suspect it will be a long time before there is consensus on RSL.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Julius
post Aug 29 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 741

A study published discussing inverted river channels in Arabia terra as a sign of a warm and wet climate on early Mars talks about ancient river channels flowing from topographic highs to lower regions from south to the lower northern regions. My question is where would meridiani planum fit along this topographic gradient? The rocks stu died by opportunity rover were mainly sulphate rocks suggestive of acidic water alteration . The inverted channels discussed seem to originate on early mars where water would be expected to form different rock types from those observed by opportunity! Maybe I am getting the ages wrong. Correct me if I am wrong.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 11:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.