34 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
KAGUYA lunar explorer (aka SELENE)
Toma B
post May 9 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #286

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

There are 2 new movies from Kaguya HDTV here.
Few new images too.

Anybody out there knows how to catcht that ".asx" stream or somewhere else to download it from?

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 9 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #287

Member No.: 523

Nice to see they finally started to distribute higher resolution versions of the movies. Good stuff, too bad the wide angle Earthset is sped-up 4x.

As for saving the wmv media, where there's a will, there's a way... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bugs_
post May 9 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #288

Member No.: 125

Two VERY impressive videos!

I'm Unix inclined so I was glad to find the mmsclient freeware today.

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post May 10 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #289

Member No.: 1638

I've captured the Kaguya stream and have placed the downloadable files here:

http://www.meridiani.co.uk/other/man_de_1m.wmv
http://www.meridiani.co.uk/other/man_de_2m.wmv

Enjoy!

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 20 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #290

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Check out the Apollo 15 site!

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2008/05/20080520_kaguya_j.html

Two small dark spots correspond exactly with the disturbed soil areas around the LM and ALSEP, as also seen in Apollo 15 Panoramic camera frame 9798.

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 20 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #291

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

very cool, yet still pretty blurry. patience...patience smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 20 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #292

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Regarding this release, I received the following message from Shin-ichi Sobue this morning.
QUOTE (Shin-ichi Sobue)
Today, JAXA/SELENE project just publicize apollo landing site stereo image derived from TC observation data.

Unfortunately, we don't have english press release yet but I attached the URL of Japanese version with my poor quick translation of first page as below;

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2008/05/20080520_kaguya_j.html

I hope JAXA will have English version of press release next week.

P.S.
FYI, in Japanese, we just activated 2 channel discssion of Apollo story about landing on the Moon :-)
===
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) confirmed the one bright albedo area of the Apollo 15 landing point, called "Halo", caused by the jet of the engine of Apollo 15 derived from Terrain Camera (TC) observational data on SELENE (KAGUYA) on February 24, 2008. .

In this image, after Apollo project ends, it is the first time in the world that the one thought to be a Apollo 15 halo using TC product by SELENE science team (foot and Hadley valley vicinity of Apennines where the sea of rain is
surrounded) .

Additionally, the appearance where the lava flow that gushed to the upper part of the Hadley valley watched similarly in Apollo 15 several hundred million 30 years ago was piled was able to be understood besides it was confirmed that the same scenery as the photograph that the Apollo 15 crew took was made from the TC stereo image and the high spatial accuracy of TC was confirmed.

I'm not sure what he meant by "we just activated 2 channel discssion of Apollo story about landing on the Moon" -- anybody got any guesses before I go back to him for clarification?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post May 21 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #293

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

This new image can also be compared to a mosaic I made a while back of the landing site using stills from the Apollo 15 ascent footage:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 21 2008, 01:50 AM
Post #294

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 20 2008, 08:56 AM) *
I'm not sure what he meant by "we just activated 2 channel discssion of Apollo story about landing on the Moon" -- anybody got any guesses before I go back to him for clarification?

Mmm...from context, perhaps 2 Japanese blogs?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 21 2008, 02:27 AM
Post #295

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Fantastic picture, Ian - it deserves to be a LPOD.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 21 2008, 04:01 AM
Post #296

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Ian R @ May 20 2008, 08:19 PM) *
This new image can also be compared to a mosaic I made a while back of the landing site using stills from the Apollo 15 ascent footage...

Amazing, Ian -- it's extremely obvious that the dark semi-circle north and northeast of the ALSEP site, visible in the Kaguya image, is formed by footprint-disturbed soil.

Apollo 15 had one of the best ascent films of all the LM launches. Not only does it give us a really good view of the descent stage from directly above, as it proceeds and the Falcon comes up to Hadley Rille, it makes a little evasive maneuver to avoid Bennett Hill and Hill 302 by swinging to the right and flying parallel to and above the rille for about 20 or 30 seconds.

Plus, the 15 ascent film vividly displays one of the major dangers of the LM launches -- the MESA blanket, a large piece of kapton foil that had covered the MESA, had been stowed under the descent stage. At launch, exhaust blew it up and out, straight west from the LM, and it skittered along the ground until it passed the ALSEP Central Station, clearing it by all of about 10 to 15 feet. Nearly wiped out the ALSEP in one swell foop. Its short but exciting journey about 400 meters out from the LM is well captured on the ascent film.

Getting back to the Kaguya image -- does it look to anyone else like you can sort of make out rover tracks, as faintly visible linear features, to the southwest of the landing site?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
climber
post May 21 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #297

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 20 2008, 05:56 PM) *
--Emily

I'm sure, this will be of some help: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...=5127&st=30

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 21 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #298

Rover Driver

Maybe he refers to TV channels, like a documentary?

Awesome picture Ian! I didn't know there was even such footage available.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 21 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #299

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (remcook @ May 21 2008, 10:08 AM) *
I didn't know there was even such footage available.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHs2bVlNdpE

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 21 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #300

Rover Driver

cool, thanks! amazing stuff. hope to see that kind of thing in my lifetime smile.gif shame about the hoax people ph34r.gif

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:35 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.