IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Pluto/Triton Lander Deceleration, using thin atmospheres for EDL
gallen_53
post Jul 4 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24

Pluto has a very thin atmosphere. I believe it was originally measured using stellar occultation from ground based telescopes. Many years ago, I was asked to do a quick pre-Phase-A study for a Pluto atmospheric probe to be carried by the New Horizons spacecraft. At the 11th hour, someone raised the reasonable point that if we were going to travel all the way to Pluto then maybe we should drop a probe into Pluto's atmosphere. Unfortunately, the rules defining the study were impossible to satisfy. The entry speed in the inertial frame at 700 km altitude was 15 km./sec. The maximum allowed entry mass was 15 kilograms. To get the vehicle to slow down, I had to assume a very large base radius to yield a tiny ballistic coefficient. The base radius that I was forced to assume was 2 meters. That assumption yielded a ballistic coefficient of 0.62 kg/m^2 at peak dynamic pressure occurring at 36.5 km altitude. The assumed free stream density at that altitude was about 5.5e-6 kg/m^3. For purposes of comparison, the Stardust probe had a ballistic coefficient of 60 kg/m^2 at peak dynamic pressure (two orders-of-magnitude greater). The density of air at the Earth's surface is 1.225 kg/m^3. Under the study requirements, the proposed Pluto probe was effectively made out of "cotton candy" but still had to shield against a significant peak heat flux of 36 watts/cm^2. That sort of heat flux meant the "cotton candy" had to be some sort of carbon fluff (how do I deploy it with a total mass constraint of 15 kg?). However the peak g-load was 33g. Under that sort of g-load, the carbon fluff would have crushed with the aerodynamics becoming unstable. The design refused to close so we knew it was game-over and walked away from the problem. That was an unfortunate conclusion. It would have been very cool to have obtained images from the surface of Pluto like what the Huygens probe acquired for Titan along with an atmospheric model based upon in-situ data.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:56 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.