14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL EDL Hardware, Its state & fate
DeanM
post Sep 7 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 6530

This is a mildly off-topic post (although relevant to MSL hardware), but something that I haven't been able to resolve by searches here & elsewhere.

After backshell separation, the descent stage employs all 8 MLEs until closer to the surface when only 4 are needed.

Were the flight/control software + harware designed to handle failure or non-ignition of one (or more) MLE when all 8 were initially needed?

Or would that have resulted in too much assymmetric thrust?

Cheers!

Dean
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
markril
post Sep 7 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #182

Member No.: 6526

Just one more, this is a close up of the sky crane impact site. You can make out quite a large chunk that ends up in the upper left corner:

Attached Image

Also, I posted a 3D stereo pair of this in a thread I started on tips for viewing them.

Mark

+Quote Post
nilstycho
post Sep 7 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 3912

A crude approximation of what the debris field would look like had the Descent Stage impacted at the minimum safe distance of 150 meters from the Rover. ("Flight of the Mars Sky Crane", Cockrell School of Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin. Singh et al. give 200 meters.)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 7 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #184

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (DeanM @ Sep 7 2012, 12:26 AM) *
Were the flight/control software + harware designed to handle failure or non-ignition of one (or more) MLE when all 8 were initially needed?

Or would that have resulted in too much assymmetric thrust?

It would have resulted in failure. They needed that thrust.

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Sep 15 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 6500

In response to "MarsInMyLifetime's" post here, yes I took note of that when stitching together the Sol 36 mosaic. Combined with the better positioning and the resolution of MC100 this is the best view we've gotten thus far of the potential heat shield location (pic below), but as for whether it's visible or not, I'm hesitant on that. It looks from HiRISE as if it's well down inside a small crater. Still, the darkish material we're seeing up along the rim of the crater could very well be impact residue. And I'm pretty sure, as I previously illustrated in this post that that's the location of the heat shield. It's probably not on the itinerary, but if Curiosity were to amble over there and peer into the crater it'd sure be interesting to see the condition of the HS wouldn't it?

Attached Image

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Sep 16 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #186

Member No.: 6108

QUOTE (EdTruthan @ Sep 15 2012, 05:26 PM) *
It's probably not on the itinerary, but if Curiosity were to amble over there and peer into the crater it'd sure be interesting to see the condition of the HS wouldn't it?

I'm so used to the relative smoothness of Meridiani Planum, this surface looks pretty rough to get through, so I'll pass! If I were an engineer, though, I'd be more interested in the backshell and parachute site since these kinds of EDL artifacts have not been visited before.

Edited to add to your analysis. This excellent 3D enlargement by marswiggle makes clear that the article is indeed in a depression, and that the smudge is from residue that we are seeing on the far side of that crater. I'm pretty certain now that this is the best we'll see of that hardware.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=190716

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
Ken90000
post Dec 6 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #187

Member No.: 1337

I had no idea finding the cruise stage was an option... http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/mult...a/pia16456.html

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 6 2012, 01:45 AM
Post #188

Member No.: 5221

Kudos to the Hirise team for a successful search!

And before anyone asks, the cruise stage and the weights are all way off to the west, even more out of Curiosity's way than the later dropped weights, which hit the slopes Mt. Sharp downrange. Even they would require going around that dune field to reach for a closer look.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 6 2012, 01:49 AM
Post #189

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Dec 5 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Kudos to the Hirise team for a successful search!

Read it again, CTX found the targets; HiRISE just got higher-res views of them.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 6 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #190

Yes, I misread it; credit to the whole MRO team is what I meant. Considering the browser-breaking size of images from either camera, the manual search must have taken up many hours nevertheless.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 6 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #191

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here is the location of the cruise stage impacts, NW of Gale crater.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Eyesonmars
post Dec 6 2012, 03:59 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 6635

Since another more or less identical EDL sequence might fly in 2018-2020 would a visit to some of the closer artifacts be justified? I don't remember either MER visiting a backshell or parachute for instance. We might learn something.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Dec 6 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #193

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Maybe I was asleep at the wheel, but I thought Oppy did. http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...L257-B367R1.jpg Some of teh crud on her FHAZ was collected there? Uh, maybe we used the MI as well? http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...unity_m358.html But I don't know, I could be mistaken. laugh.gif

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 6 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #194

Eyesonmars said backshell and parachute; there has been no close visits by either of the MERs. A combination of being too out of the way and the danger of entanglement were the reasons, I recall... Probably the same for MSL.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 6 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #195

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Eyesonmars @ Dec 6 2012, 07:59 AM) *
Since another more or less identical EDL sequence might fly in 2018-2020 would a visit to some of the closer artifacts be justified?

The heatshield? No. Phenolic Impregnated CARBON Ablator. Moreover, it was very well instrumented using the MEDLI suite so it's performance can be measured and understood already.

Backshell? It did it's job - that's enough. parachute? We saw how well it did thanks to HiRISE, and, moreover, the deceleration performance that will have been recorded via IMU's

Skycrane? Well - there's not much point as it's just a football field sized debris zone - and lots of Hyrdazine lying around.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.