11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix - End of Mission
TheChemist
post Nov 10 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 112

Sad sad sad. But looking forward to science results and HiRiSe images of our baby in early 2010. She 'll be there.

PS. Anybody has any idea about the last Twitter message from Phoenix posted 1h ago in binary code ?
The numbers are (if I have done it correctly) 84 114 105 117 109 112 104 <3
Is it some kind of coded message ? (Well duh ?) wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 10 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #32

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

And this is a quick go at the last image of the Martian surface taken by Phoenix.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Cugel
post Nov 10 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 120

its plain decimal ascii.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Nov 10 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 4350

QUOTE (TheChemist @ Nov 10 2008, 11:40 PM) *
PS. Anybody has any idea about the last Twitter message

'Triumph' in ASCII. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Nov 10 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #35

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 10 2008, 11:23 PM) *

These are the last two. Not exactly going out in a blaze of glory... But those are a water vapor band/continuum pair, so Phoenix was following the water to the end.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Nov 10 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3299

I have been following all of his story. Later I did not have doubt that its mission was going very well; before to land on Mars, I had high confidence of its good touchdown. Later, the Phoenix's team did not sleep trying to get the most of precious short time and they were able to exceed all goals.

Hence, the mission of Phoenix was a truly of a great achievement. Congratulations to a good job to Phoenix's team.

The most peculiar things that comes up to my memory from Phoenix are:
  • I was unbelieving to see a so flat surface.
  • His wonderful and unique picture during its landing.
  • Mars also rains but the water never reaches on the surface.
  • The discovery of a pair ices holes on the Phoenix belly:
  • The wind was blowing on the tiny thing.
  • The surface is very similar to Earth (alkaline).
  • The slow sublimation of ice from the surface.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Nov 10 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #37

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Nov 10 2008, 11:13 PM) *
Back in January 2004, who would have thought that at the end of a successful Phoenix mission both of the MERs would still be going strong?

Ssh. Don't jinx anything. We lost Phoenix approximately when expected, and in approximately the expected way. There was just no avoiding the harshness of the environment. With MER, there were those, not optimists but pragmatists, who expected Summer/Fall '05. A few optimists said more. I don't think I heard Fall '08 and beyond smile.gif . Even so, only Opportunity is going strong. Spirit needs help--little recent odometry, minimal recent science, and dusty solar panels choking off power. Or to put it another way: one is still hopefully roving, the other is hopefully still roving.

+Quote Post
post Nov 10 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 667

Phoenix Project Archive Generation, Validation and Transfer Plan (PDF)

The Phoenix Project Level 1 requirements state that Level 0 and Level 1 imaging data shall be
archived with PDS within six months of the end of the mission, and all other Level 0 and Level 1
data shall be archived within 12 months of the end of the mission [Applicable Document 3]. The
actual delivery schedule will exceed these requirements: the Phoenix Project will make at least
two deliveries to the PDS, the first one no later than six months after Sol 30 data are received on
Earth, and the second one no later than six months after Sol 90 data are received on Earth. In the
event of an extended mission, subsequent data releases will occur for every 90 sols; for example,
Sol 180 plus six months, then Sol 270 plus six months, with the final delivery occurring no later
than six months after the last data have been received on Earth. Table 5 shows the dates for
archive data acquisition and release.

August 23, 2008 Sol 91: Start of extended mission
November 20, 2008 Sol 180
~ December 9, 2008 Delivery of data from Sols 1 to 30 to PDS two weeks before first release
~ December 23, 2008 First data release 6 months after sol 30
~ February 8, 2009 Delivery of data from Sols 31 to 90 to PDS two weeks before second release
~ February 22, 2009 Second data release 6 months after sol 90
TBD Subsequent data releases for every 90 sols through end of mission, with data
delivered to PDS two weeks in advance of release date.

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Nov 10 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 112

Thanks Cugel and Fran.
I see 3 is fittingly "End of Text". smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Nov 10 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 10 2008, 11:23 PM) *
This unremarkable pair are sitting at the bottom of my MMB directory:
http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS151ESF909...5_20973R5M1.jpg

I think that is a quite remarkable last image. I distinctly see the soul of Phoenix shooting lightning-fast into the Martian sky.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 10 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 617

Looking forward, the AGU meeting and the PDS data releases are going to be very interesting. We know how hard a problem it was to get a lander down intact in the polar regions, let alone get an extended mission out of it; the whole team richly deserves a storm of applause as the curtain falls, and they certainly get it from me. And possibly some bouquets of flowers flying over the orchestra pit and cries of "encore!" smile.gif

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Nov 10 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #42

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Damn...I've shed a couple of tears for Phoenix,I admit it...seing through the chute photo, the first images...the amazing, thrilling landing day...
Dear Phoenix...you were an amazing embassadress from our planet, sad to imagine you cold, dead on that desert landscape of another planet, far from all those who design and built you and made you fly high above from the craddle...I'll miss you.

We'll soon join there on the Red Planet.

Thank you for your fantastic life!

It was your way!

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Nov 10 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 627

Just as parents live on in their children, Phoenix lives on in the data. Who knows that butterflies will come forth from that!?

Goodbye Mayfly..... your data will live on forever. May descendants of your fragile creators find you and touch you some future day.

Craig

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 10 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #44

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Farewell Phoenix...

Attached Image

And everyone really should read this poignant farewell from the lander itself... just superbly written, and very touching... this is how Outreach should be done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 10 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #45

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Touching indeed....(sigh)....

It's sad, but let's never forget the excitement of landing day here on UMSF; it's a fun read now, we were all a bit giddy!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.