Reply to this topicStart new topic
First public release of Kaguya data
mhoward
post Nov 3 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #31

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Awesome movie.

Now that I'm working with the normal map, I notice it's pretty rough around the poles. I'm working on smoothing it out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 3 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #32

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

Having this DEM is awesome, for the first time I'm able to get lunar renders I'm happy with. Here is a test render. The data is rendered as a DEM (not a normal or bump map) meaning it is possible to spot some slight irregularities (mountains etc.) on the limb, especially in the south. It is rendered using data from the 16 bit integer file created by mhoward and shows the Moon as it might look as seen from the Earth:
Attached Image

And here's another one showing the Moon from a distance of 4000 km from the Moon's center. The field of view is 35 degrees:
Attached Image

At this close range it would be nice to have a slightly higher resolution DEM although this is not a major issue.

Another one, this time 6100 km from the Moon's center, FOV 35 degrees. The "subspacecraft" point is lat=-10, lon=270 degrees west. This is probably my best one so far:
Attached Image

Yet another one, this time from an altitude of 300 km and with a FOV of 45 degrees. This one is intended to show the limitations of the DEM, i.e. insufficient resolution for closeups like this one. It will be fun to do again in the future once the higher resolution LRO data arrives.
Attached Image

This is a lovely dataset to play with.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 4 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #33

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Outstanding! The DEM is indeed a wonderful product. I'm a bit concerned right now with what seems to be a very limited release of TC data. As far as I can see it is indeed limited to the small areas visible in the 3DMoon global viewer, but I assume more will be added soon.

One wee problem in 3DMoon - check out the RSAT gravity data - you can plot the Clementine or topography data first, then overlay an RSAT dataset, and flick it on and off to see how it lines up with topography... but it doesn't! They have accidentally flipped it 180 degrees in longitude. I expect it will be fixed soon.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
claurel
post Nov 4 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 514

QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 3 2009, 01:48 PM) *
Now that I'm working with the normal map, I notice it's pretty rough around the poles. I'm working on smoothing it out.

I processed with the 16-bit height data with the nms tool, and I get a normal map that's rougher around the poles. You must be capping the spherical correction factor to some maximum value? My normal map is almost identical to yours except within a couple degrees of the poles. It sure does seems like the polar regions need some filtering--artifacts are apparent near the poles even when slopes aren't amplified by the spherical correction factor.

--Chris

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 4 2009, 02:44 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4489

i just made a normal with my hacked copy of nms ( mine uses unsigned 16 bit)
the zip is a png image
using my default settings and the default 16 bit tiff from above
5670x2880.png
http://www.zshare.net/download/6793328103b3d90b/

a 1024x512.png image
[attachment=19509:1k.png]

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 4 2009, 03:58 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 4489

two screen shots
the first one is the NEW one at default settings
and the second is my OLD hand drawn height map
[attachment=19511:moon_new.jpg]
[attachment=19512:moon_old.jpg]

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 4 2009, 03:59 AM
Post #37

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"probably my best so far" - yes, I'd say that deserves to be a Lunar Picture of the Day...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 4 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #38

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Bjorn - absolutely stunning pics, thank you! smile.gif

Do you take requests? I could really do with a couple of nice pics of the crater "Eddington", for obvious reasons... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SandiBandi
post Nov 4 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 4816

Bjor (and JohnVV!) amazing work! Seeing oblique Mare Crisium on the west as seen from Earth on the east! Amazing! Langrenus and Humboldt as round craters! Something you can't see from down here wink.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 4 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 523

Outstanding work, Bjorn! blink.gif

This may be the first time a computer render I've seen be so realistic - in fact with a bit of fiddling around in Photoshop (I assume you didn't do the 2.2 gamma correction judging by contrast?) you could pass it along as a photograph to unsuspecting folks.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Nov 4 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 347

It does look quite photographic smile.gif ! Congratulations for all the nice renders on this thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 4 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (claurel @ Nov 3 2009, 07:20 PM) *
You must be capping the spherical correction factor to some maximum value?

Yes - you are right. I think I was doing that for some reason when processing the MOLA data. (In my case it's a minimum value - apparently I've done mine differently somehow, but it's equivalent.)

QUOTE (claurel @ Nov 3 2009, 07:20 PM) *
It sure does seem like the polar regions need some filtering--artifacts are apparent near the poles even when slopes aren't amplified by the spherical correction factor.

Indeed. I've got a somewhat smoothed out version now that I'll post for people to use if they want to: LALT_normalmapV2.png (21.5MB PNG)

Others may be able to do a better job filtering it; this is sufficient for my purposes.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 4 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #43

After adding the LALT normal map, I've been tweaking the lighting parameters in Moon Globe to try to make it look more realistic (something I've already spent a lot of time doing - it's not easy to get this to work on a first-generation iPhone). Here's a quick comparison:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 5 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #44

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 4 2009, 11:50 AM) *
Outstanding work, Bjorn! blink.gif

This may be the first time a computer render I've seen be so realistic - in fact with a bit of fiddling around in Photoshop (I assume you didn't do the 2.2 gamma correction judging by contrast?) you could pass it along as a photograph to unsuspecting folks.

Yes, these are probably the most realistic renders I have ever done. And as you suspected there's no 2.2 gamma correction - your versions are even more realistic.

QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 4 2009, 06:26 AM) *
Bjorn - absolutely stunning pics, thank you! smile.gif

Do you take requests? I could really do with a couple of nice pics of the crater "Eddington", for obvious reasons... wink.gif

Normally not but here's a quick and dirty render with Eddington visible. The "subspacecraft" point is 22°N, 95°W, the distance from the Moon's center is 6100 km and the FOV is 35°. The subsolar longitude is 15°W.

Attached Image

I should probably make a rotation movie of this thing...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 5 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #45

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Quick, oh yes, but dirty....? ohmy.gif Stunning.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.