Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stardust
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Sep 23 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #1

Guests

Looking at the Nasa Watch website http://www.nasawatch.com/, it mentions a flyby of Mars by Stardust smile.gif .

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 23 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Wonder if they'll do any imaging?

As a heads up to Bjorn - img2png doesnt like Stardust imagery - it just goes straight to a buffer overrun ohmy.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 23 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

The timeline on the website has an Earth Return date of Jan 15, 2006. That can't be correct can it? Mars to Earth in under 4 months?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 23 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 23 2005, 10:36 AM)
The timeline on the website has an Earth Return date of Jan 15, 2006.  That can't be correct can it?  Mars to Earth in under 4 months?

It is reasonable. The V-Delta of Earth is higher than the ones of Mars. So the spaceship going to Earth is faster than to Mars since the Earth velocity around the sun is faster than Mars.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
um3k
post Sep 23 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 23 2005, 11:36 AM)
The timeline on the website has an Earth Return date of Jan 15, 2006.  That can't be correct can it?  Mars to Earth in under 4 months?

Well, since it is flying by Mars it has a higher velocity than it would if it started from Mars (in which case the aphelion* would just barely touch Mars' orbit). So, I'd say yes, it is probably correct.

*Furthest distance from sun.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 23 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #6

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 23 2005, 03:44 PM)
It is reasonable. The V-Delta of Earth is higher than the ones of Mars. So the spaceship going to Earth is faster than to Mars since the Earth velocity around the sun is faster than Mars.

Rodolfo

I don't think they will do any imagery. First off, with its stuck filter wheel and the equivalent of a wide angle Cassini camera, I don't think it would see much of scientific interest from a distance. But the stated reason that they passed up a few Annefrank-like flybys (and that I am guessing would apply here too) is that now that it has its samples, it is too risky to take chances with maneuvering it to aim cameras - it isn't worth taking any chances that could lead to the loss of the mission before earth arrival.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maycm
post Sep 23 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 289

To take this slightly off topic, I noticed mention that the Aerogel used on stardust was also used on Pathfinder.

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html

Does anyone know why?

+Quote Post
helvick
post Sep 23 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (maycm @ Sep 23 2005, 04:54 PM)
To take this slightly off topic, I noticed mention that the Aerogel used on stardust was also used on Pathfinder.
http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html
Does anyone know why?

Yep - Insulation on Sojourner.
Donna Shirley, head of Mars exploration at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, is quoted by USA today (July 8, 1997), saying "If we'd had to use conventional insulation, the rover would have frozen."

Link

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 23 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (helvick @ Sep 23 2005, 09:06 AM)
Yep - Insulation on Sojourner.
Link

The MER Warm Electronics Boxes (i.e. the bodies) are also packed with aerogel. Very good insulation!

Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Sep 23 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #10

Guests

Believe me, this Mars flyby is going to be VERY long range. That chart still allows it to occur at a distance of several million km, and I certainly have never heard a single peep suggesting that they had any observations planned at all.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 24 2005, 07:26 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 174

ElkGroveDan: "The timeline on the website has an Earth Return date of Jan 15, 2006. That can't be correct can it? Mars to Earth in under 4 months? "

Yes. Mariners 6 and 7 made it to Mars in something like 5 months. They were "light" for the Atlas Centaur booster which one opposition later launched the much heavier Mariner 9 orbiter. The excess capacity was used to decrease time to Mars and get an encounter closer to Earth, aiding communications. The 2 vehicles got a mild gravity assist and aphelion was in or at the inner edge of the asteroid belt. Farthest from the sun of a solar powered spacecraft until relatively recently

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Sep 24 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 114

After SD passes buy for delivery, what's next for this probe? Any more encounters?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 24 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #13

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Decepticon @ Sep 24 2005, 11:35 AM)
After SD passes buy for delivery, what's next for this probe? Any more encounters?

I've read that it's basically going to be pretty much out of fuel, the camera's not too great, so it'll probably get switched off.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Sep 25 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #14

Guests

That's what Donald Brownlee told me several years ago -- unfortunately Stardust, unlike Deep Impact, doesn't have an extended warranty...

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post Nov 30 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 495

An update about stardust return :
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/...e/stardust.html

Another one about the opening of the sample canister :
http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/science/feature002.html

It is 46 days from now.

Rakhir

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.