Reply to this topicStart new topic
Google Mars HiRISE base images for Opportunity
Tesheiner
post Oct 3 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #46

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 1 2010, 07:08 PM) *
My question now is: should we regenerate the first map extension from scratch? It would require someone (*cough* Tesheiner) to relocate the corners of the beginning image tiles. I would also think it would be better to regenerate the base images so that they are non-overlapping (which probably needs James' help). And if we are going to do that, and are doing all the map segments at once, I think we should try to match the levels among the different base images to make them appear seamless. This last step I can do very easily (by determining what levels adjustment is needed using the browse versions of the HiRISE images, then using a Photoshop macro to run it on the folder full of 8192 by 8192 chunks).

Back to this topic, I was playing working today on the task of finding the coordinates of the image tiles, and here's an Excel sheet with all of them and a little bit more.
Attached File  ESP_011765_Reg_to_PSP_001414.xls ( 118.5K ) Number of downloads: 688

The coordinates of the complete picture ESP_011765_1780 were calculated trying to register the image to the HiRISE picture embedded on GE. They don't match 100% but the difference is really small in the area I was concerned which is the point Opportunity's path moves from one image to the other one. From those coordinates to the ones corresponding to the individual non-overlapping 8k x 8k tiles the process was quite simple and straight forward.

I tested these data generating and processing the four tiles needed to cover the whole path and I'm quite happy with the result. GE zooms smoothly through all LODs.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #47

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Wow. Great work, Eduardo.

The next step that needs to be done is for James to regenerate the tiles in PNG format, but I know he can't get to this for a few days at least. Then I have to do levels, run them through MapTiler, and upload, which will take some time and I won't be able to start for two weeks -- I am covering DPS this week, and will be on vacation without access to my main computer for the week after that. So there may be a little break here. But I think we'll get to the new map before Opportunity gets to the edge of the current one smile.gif

Just to have this posted in one place in the thread, the three images for the South of Victoria, Santa Maria, and Endeavour segments are, respectively:
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_011765_1780
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_005423_1780
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_010341_1775
(correct me if I'm wrong!)

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 4 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 16

I may (or may not) have a chance to set my scripts running to make the image tiles for Emily tonight. Has the decision been made if we want to stick with the current overlap, have no overlap or a smaller one? Any of these just as easy for me.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 4 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #49

All tests I did with non-overlapping tiles resulted on no gap at all. So I would say 8192 x 8192 tiles without overlap and starting at the top left corner.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 23 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #50

Administrator

Sorry for the long break -- DPS happened, then some necessary travel. In the meantime James got me the two tiles of PSP_005423_1780_RED that we've been working on that cover Santa Maria in PNG format. Unfortunately, MapTiler is not handling these correctly, but I have a suspicion that it's because my old computer is running out of memory. I should have a brand-new computer in two weeks with more than enough memory to handle this problem, and then I'll revisit it. I *think* Opportunity will not get to the edge of the current map in two weeks...it would be awesome if I were wrong about that, though!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tim53
post Nov 2 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #51

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 1022

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 23 2010, 02:06 PM) *
Sorry for the long break -- DPS happened, then some necessary travel. In the meantime James got me the two tiles of PSP_005423_1780_RED that we've been working on that cover Santa Maria in PNG format. Unfortunately, MapTiler is not handling these correctly, but I have a suspicion that it's because my old computer is running out of memory. I should have a brand-new computer in two weeks with more than enough memory to handle this problem, and then I'll revisit it. I *think* Opportunity will not get to the edge of the current map in two weeks...it would be awesome if I were wrong about that, though!

Here's mine: smile.gif

It's a mosaic of CTX and HiRISE that I put together in Photoshop for traverse planning. I used Photoshop so I could take care of shading differences between overlapping images. I also used the lowest emission angle images to minimize topographic distortions to the map projection (which only corrects for the MOLA long-wavelength topography). At this scale, you can't see the HiRISE at full resolution, of course...

I made the mosaic so we'd have continuous HiRISE coverage of our route all the way to Endeavour.

When we're "done" with Endeavour, I'll have to make another map, I suppose! biggrin.gif

-Tim.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 6 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #52

I thought it might be time to resurrect this topic.
Once we're done with Santa Maria, Opportunity will be out of the current background picture in a matter of weeks.
Attached Image

I spent some time today reviewing the process required to have HiRISE coverage from Santa Maria until Cape York, which basically was: slice one of those big JPEG2000 pictures in 8k x 8k pieces, register the pieces to match with the portions already covered at high resolution, and render them with MapTiler. With a bit of patience and a couple of beers here's the result.
Attached Image

Voila! Ground coverage at 25cm/pix for the remaining path. smile.gif
Attached Image

Now, what I need is some place to host the whole thing.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 6 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #53

Administrator

I'll be glad to host it. I can do it tomorrow -- Super Bowl today smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robert S
post Feb 7 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #54

Group: Members
Member No.: 4946

Awesome!!! Can't wait for it to be uploaded, GREAT WORK !!!

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 8 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #55

Thanks, Emily, for the support and for hosting this big map. smile.gif
Hello everyone! Follow this link to see the path to Cape York at HiRISE resolution.

http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/gmars_ma...41_1775_RED.kml

+Quote Post
brellis
post Feb 8 2011, 08:01 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 1700

Thanks E.T. and Emily!

p.s. - happy birthday!

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 8 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 152

This is fantastic! Thanks Tesheiner and Emily.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 8 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #58

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Thanks, both, VERY much. I can't overestimate how useful that will be for my blog. Just fantastic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Feb 8 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 12

Fantastic! Much better than my earlier unfinished attempts! smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 8 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #60

Administrator

Okay folks, I've now edited the first post in this thread to include all the base images.

Unless you have made edits to the base map layers in Google Mars, I recommend that you download and use this kml file, which contains all three of the base map extensions, neatly named and credited. If you use this version, all of the image files are being hosted remotely, on the Planetary Society's space on the Amazon S3 server.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:05 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.