2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sol 3000
fredk
post Jul 2 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Perhaps a new topic is in order at the very special occasion of 3000 sols for Oppy. Congratulations to everyone on the team for what's become a truly epic mission. And with a whole new destination ahead of her: Tribulation! smile.gif wheel.gif

The MER filenames clock has now turned to sol 3000, a bit before the jpl site and SPICE:
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 2 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

So I guess this is as good a time as any to announce that Stu and I have collaborated on a new 'poemster' (poem/poster) to mark this latest milestone in the MER journey.

Attached Image

3000 Martian days (sols)...what an incredible achievement.
Huge congratulations goes to the entire MER team of mission planners, scientists, researchers and of course, those amazing Rover drivers.

You can find larger versions of the poemster, plus a few desktop wallpaper versions on my blog.

Enjoy. smile.gif

GO OPPY!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 2 2012, 01:45 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

And a BIG tip of the hat to Astro0 for the beautiful new banner commemorating the occasion!

GO OPPY!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 2 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1200

3 wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Chill Out my friend!

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jul 2 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1700

I absolutely love this poemster!
"Opportunity's heart-flame of exploration still burns bright,
The rover that should have died long ago
Refuses to go softly into the Martian night."

3000 sols, wow! Just today, I met a fellow who still works at Rocketdyne, was involved in producing some of the components for the MERs and the upcoming MSL. We had a few laughs about how cute it was to have a MER drive over me at a JPL open house, while letting MSL drive over me seems like it'd hurt a lot!

If it's okay to blow your horn in this thread, perhaps this is a nice time to mention that I played on a soundtrack with John Lee Hooker and Miles Davis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuEsiVAJmE...feature=related

-Bradford Ellis = brellis smile.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 2 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 682

At one stage we asked ourselves whether the rovers will last untill MSL arrival. It was more as a joke than anything else. It was a looooong time ago and none of us ever calculated it would be after 3000 sols.
Bravo!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 2 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #7

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Poemster looks beautiful, Astro0, as does the new banner, fantastic work!

I've a special post up on my "Road to Endeavour" blog now, celebrating Sol 3000, which I hope some of you will find interesting...

http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2012/...e-thousand-sols

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 2 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 615

Great article Stu and wonderful interviews.
Was that third person still at the bottom of the sea when he wrote that?! wink.gif

Congratulations to you as well on your Road to Endeavour blog.
It is a fantastic 'chronicle' of this martian adventure.

As an aside, I was speaking with JPL Director, Dr Charles Elachi who was visiting CanberraDSN today. We were looking at our Visitor Centre's fullscale MER replica and I glanced over at the clock to notice it was the exact moment when Opportunity reached Sol3000. I mentioned it to him and he shook his head and he said "I hadn't realised that was today. The change in time zones threw me".
"Imagine how jetlagged Opportunity must feel" I replied

laugh.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
pospa
post Jul 2 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5979

Great achievement, indeed !!!

(where is that emoticon with curtseying face?) smile.gif

Regarding rover's Li-ion betteries, would anybody know how they are performing now after 3000 sols and 9 years of operation?
I couldn't find anything more up to date then status after 670 sols in this document - capacity loss in the MER batteries is 5-10% thus far.
Thanks

+Quote Post
Tom Dahl
post Jul 2 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6392

Congratulations to the whole MER team -- designers, fabricators, testers, operators, planners, managers, etc.! Remarkable to have a rover operating so long with so much capability still remaining. It would be ironic if a photovoltaic-powered craft was able to operate longer on the surface of Mars than a radioisotope-powered one. :-)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 2 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #11

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Tom Dahl @ Jul 2 2012, 07:58 AM) *
It would be ironic if a photovoltaic-powered craft was able to operate longer on the surface of Mars than a radioisotope-powered one. :-)

There are more reasons that just longevity when it comes to having an MMRTG on Curiosity. Reliability for one ( 2400Whrs/sol rather than 900, then 700, then 300, then camp for winter at 200 etc etc etc ) An MMRTG also produces a lot of spare heat to keep the rover itself warm.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 2 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 2 2012, 11:04 AM) *
Why would that be ironic? There are more reasons that just longevity when it comes to having an MMRTG on Curiosity. Reliability for one ( 2400Whrs/sol rather than 900, then 700, then 300, then camp for winter at 200 etc etc etc ) An MMRTG also produces a lot of spare heat to keep the rover itself warm.

I like variety in life. ;-). Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Jul 2 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 617

Quick delurk just to offer congratulations to everyone involved with this astonishing feat of engineering, dedication, and long hours of hard work.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Jul 2 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5156

QUOTE (pospa @ Jul 2 2012, 02:28 PM) *
I couldn't find anything more up to date then status after 670 sols in this document - capacity loss in the MER batteries is 5-10% thus far.

Here is a little update (26-Jun-2006 ) from the report above:
http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstre...3/1/06-1597.pdf

Or you could search the database like this: http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/simple-...ver+mer+battery

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
pospa
post Jul 3 2012, 04:11 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5979

QUOTE (MoreInput @ Jul 2 2012, 09:32 PM) *
Or you could search the database like this: http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/simple-...ver+mer+battery

Thanks a lot, MoreInput, it's very good source of engineering papers.
It looks like battery capacity was still around 85-90% after 3 years, which is excellent, but unfortunatelly no info how it looks now in 2012.
Anyway, thanks again. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.