Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 18 2011, 09:36 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 18 2011, 08:17 AM) *
Emily has made an absolutely gorgeous pic for her blog, showing Mercury's size compared to other familiar bodies in the solar system...

Indeed, a very nice comparison. But we already know of two other bodies in that size range, namely Pluto and Eris, making a total of 10.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 18 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #33

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

True, but we haven't got very good images of those to use, tho.

--------------------

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Mar 18 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 627

unmanned spacecraft in orbit...

how did I miss the worldlets????? Eros and possibly Itokawa.... must be my age... and the beer.
Thanks for the corrections folks.

The Eyes on the Solar System site had a terrific simulation.... really felt like I was riding along as I listened to the webcast.
Terrific experience...

Kudos all .....

Craig

+Quote Post
brellis
post Mar 18 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1700

Emily's survey is great! I felt proud to recognize each orb, like a bunch of old friends. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 18 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #36

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (brellis @ Mar 18 2011, 05:07 AM) *
like a bunch of old friends. smile.gif

I used to have friends like that; remote, lonely, frigid, two-faced, endlessly going in circles, still showing the obvious scars that impacted them long ago. Sure there was always at least one hot one, but she'd usually be prone to eruptions. Since then I found UMSF and a whole new universe of friends.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 18 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #37

The Poet Dude

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Mar 18 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 4057

Congratulation to the MESSENGER team! rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 18 2011, 02:58 PM) *
I used to have friends like that; remote, lonely, frigid, two-faced, endlessly going in circles, still showing the obvious scars that impacted them long ago. Sure there was always at least one hot one, but she'd usually be prone to eruptions. Since then I found UMSF and a whole new universe of friends.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 18 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #39

The Poet Dude

VERY proud that the MESSENGER team used a new poem I wrote for them, marking MOI...

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/mer_orbit.html

(bottom right)

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gndonald
post Mar 18 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 442

Congratulations to NASA!

I'm eagerly awaiting the first light photo from orbit...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 18 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #41

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 18 2011, 12:17 AM) *
Fantastic news! And if you haven't seen it already, Emily has made an absolutely gorgeous pic for her blog, showing Mercury's size compared to other familiar bodies in the solar system...
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002965

I'm glad you liked that; I'm pleased with how it turned out, though of course it looks good mostly because of Ted's excellent processing work. It's wonderful what matching phase angles and lighting directions will do to improve the feel of a montage. I spent half an hour discussing that image with my girls' babysitter last night -- a fun conversation smile.gif

QUOTE (ngunn @ Mar 18 2011, 01:36 AM) *
Indeed, a very nice comparison. But we already know of two other bodies in that size range, namely Pluto and Eris, making a total of 10.

As Stu said, we don't have images of those! --but in the text and caption I did make an error about how these were all the things in the solar system between 2000 and 6000 km across -- should've stuck with 2500-6000 and I'd've been correct; or just left Triton off and left it at 3000-6000. I have a massive cheat sheet above my desk that I use to do quick size comparisons, but I don't have the KBOs on there yet because I'm still working on hunting down the best estimates of their sizes. I have got to finish that project.

QUOTE (brellis @ Mar 18 2011, 05:07 AM) *
Emily's survey is great! I felt proud to recognize each orb, like a bunch of old friends. smile.gif

Me too smile.gif The challenge for us uber-geeks is to know just from looking at them which spacecraft was responsible for each image.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 18 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #42

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 18 2011, 05:32 PM) *
-but in the text and caption I did make an error about how these were all the things in the solar system between 2000 and 6000 km across -- should've stuck with 2500-6000 and I'd've been correct; or just left Triton off and left it at 3000-6000.

It isn't an error - all are in that range.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 18 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #43

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Belated congrats after a long night of work to the MESSENGER team for their own many, many long nights of work that resulted in not only a spectacular success but a truly historical achievement. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Mar 18 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 1083

I was in the studio audience last night and I want to give kudos to APL for putting on a very entertaining and informative show. Pretty amazing that by July we'll have spacecraft orbiting 8 solar system bodies (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars, Vesta and Saturn). Too bad MESSENGER probably won't be around in 2016 when Juno arrives at Jupiter to make it 9!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 18 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #45

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 18 2011, 09:32 AM) *
Me too smile.gif The challenge for us uber-geeks is to know just from looking at them which spacecraft was responsible for each image.

A challenge indeed, considering Ted's great skill at reprocessing data from older missions!

Okay, I'll take a shot, from left to right (the last one is a gimmie, though):

Messenger, Clementine, Cassini, Galileo, Galileo, Voyager 1, Cassini, Voyager 2.

<braces for humiliation>...

(And congratulations to Stu for his terrific poem posted on Messenger's most special day.... smile.gif )

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.