Reply to this topicStart new topic
MESSENGER Primary Mission Phase, data acquisition and discussion
nprev
post Jun 7 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #16

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Based on the surprisingly large variety of small-scale albedo features, I think that even early minerology results may prove VERY interesting. Fingers crossed...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 16 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 557

Initial results are being announced today, some of which are already on the MESSENGER website.

Science update

Multimedia for the upcoming press conference (due to start in just five minutes) are now available too.

Multimedia link

Edit at ten minutes past the hour: News conference underway on NASA TV. Huge volcanic deposit at north pole.

Half past the hour: High level of potassium and sulfur, much higher amounts of volatiles than thought. Not so much iron and titanium as was thought from the flybys. Magnetic field way offset toward the north.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 16 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #18

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I had to answer my door and missed what Sean Solomon said about water ice at the poles. Did anybody hear?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Jun 16 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 655

Missing raw image access on this mission - I think we've been spoilt by the MER's and Cassini.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 16 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 16 2011, 11:26 AM) *
Did anybody hear?

They used altimetry to produce a model of one of the craters, then modelled sunlight around the crater to see where the permanantly shaded areas are, and found that they do coincide with the radar-reflective areas - consistent with the ice interpretation.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jun 16 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 557

Solomon also repeated his statements at the end, in reply to a question, and said that if the radar bright deposits are mostly water (the jury is still out), then Mercury likely has more water than the moon.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 16 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #22

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Oooh. Cool. Thanks for the summary.

There's a hilarious conversation going on on Twitter right now about the MESSENGER scientists' remarks about "Mercury is not dead like the Moon."

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 16 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #23

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I love the pictures of the small volcanic vents. It's interesting to compare them with Ina (AKA D-Caldera) and the cluster of smaller features inside Hyginus on the Moon.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 16 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 197

Anyone know if there is a link to a video replay of this? I searched but I'm not finding anything.

EDIT: I see it's being replayed at 4:00 my local time.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 18 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #25

Guests

Here you go:

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/inde...;catid=1:latest

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org rocks!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.