IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The end of MESSENGER's mission, What happens after March 2013?
Seryddwr
post Apr 21 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6058

I know nothing about either the technological constraints or the funding possibilities, but I was wondering if anyone knew what might happen to the probe once the extended mission at Mercury comes to an end. Is it definitely going to be decommissioned? Or is there a chance of sending it somewhere else? Is there sufficient propellant to allow it to break orbit using the LVA, and (say) conduct a flyby of an Aten or Apollo asteroid? I do not know how much delta-v would be required to do this, or even if there are any targets in favourable positions, but it would (to my untrained eye) be an excellent reuse of what has proven itself to be a very capable spacecraft.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 21 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1004

with all the oxidizer used during the latest orbit lowering maneuver, the remaining delta-v must be quite small. I guess the only realistic end of mission is a series of Sun-perturbed lower and lower orbits and a final impact on the surface of Mercury

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 21 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #3

I have checked the biography of spaceflight mechanics guru Robert Farquhar, who worked on MESSENGER orbit design, and he does not discuss any end-of-mission scenario.
I remember reading somewhere that an option would be to lower the periapsis down to 25 km for close-up observations before crashing on the surface

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 21 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Impact on Mercury is the final act of Messenger's life. there's so much to see there, and only limited coverage at high resolution, that it would be very counter-productive to leave Mercury for a (say) 12 month cruise to an asteroid (even if it were possible, which it would not be with minimal fuel left).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Seryddwr
post Apr 21 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6058

Thanks both for your replies. It's sad in one way, but good in another - can't wait to see those very high-res images!

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 21 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 105

I imagine that having perfected the Skeet Shooting Technique at Enceladus very nice hi-res low-altitude imagery of selected Mercurian targets are very do-able.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
brellis
post Apr 22 2012, 01:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1700

Just for curiosity's sake, how far away from the sun could MESSENGER end up if it uses its last bit of fuel towards such a goal? It sure took a lot of gas to get it into Mercurial orbit. Could it be placed in some kind of safe solar orbit for the sake of future planetary historians?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 22 2012, 03:17 AM
Post #8

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Most likely it could do no more than limp into a solar orbit close to Mercury's, which would be inherently unstable and end up with an impact anyway. Better to target it and get a few close-ups.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 22 2012, 09:54 AM
Post #9

digging in my library I have found this, from Aviation Week (26 July 2004, p59)

As the flight winds down, Farquhar hopes the orbit can be reduced even lower to 15 mi. for extremely high-resolution imaging before Messenger crashes onto the surface to end the mission nearly a decade after its launch.

I have also checked the special issue of Space Science Review dedicated to MESSENGER, but I have found nothing on end-of-mission plans.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 24 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 530

Any proposals they have for end of mission likely depended on remaining fuel and analysis of how well their solar-sailing techniques work. And because there are no planetary protection requirements at Mercury, no one has forced their hand yet.

That said, there seems to be little other mention out there other than what Paolo dug up.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Apr 24 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 655

No chance of Messenger spiralling sunwards I suppose, and snapping some solar limb movies on the way in ???

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 24 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Given that it took a very large MOI burn to get IN to Mercury orbit - I would have thought it's fairly obvious that they're not getting out again.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Apr 24 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 321

Moving into a gravity well is just as hard as getting out.

You've all seen those spiral wishing wells for coins:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/328365...e235f0e17_o.jpg

Moving in or out of a gravity well requires propulsion in proportion to the local slope, which gets steepest at the center. A minimum-energy trajectory from Uranus to Neptune would require little impulse. Going from Mercury to the Sun would require more propulsion than any other two-body cruise in the solar system. Going from Earth to the Sun would require more energy than from the Earth to any other object in the universe. (Of course, a cruise from Earth to another galaxy would take a long TIME, but not as much energy as a cruise to the Sun.)

This is a key reason why it took so long to follow up on Mariner 10 and why Messenger utilized so many gravity assists.

Moreover, there's nothing much that Messenger could do in solar observation that a much bigger earthbound telescope can't do better from three times further away.

Finally, the planet itself has a nontrivial escape velocity. It's only slightly less than Mars's.

There's one intriguing science target left for Messenger, and that's Mercury itself.

+Quote Post
Eutectic
post May 5 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5860

QUOTE (jasedm @ Apr 24 2012, 02:33 PM) *
No chance of Messenger spiralling sunwards I suppose... ???

Even if Messenger were not orbiting Mercury, because of the planet's high orbital velocity around the Sun, getting much closer to the star would take significant energy. Mercury's orbital velocity is about sixty percent higher than the Earth's. At the other end of the speed scale, Neptune orbits at less than twenty percent of Earth's velocity. So if you wanted to drop straight into the Sun, it would be almost nine times easier to do so from Neptune than from Mercury, which is pretty counter-intuitive. The way to spiral in from Mercury would be to use the solar wind for drag...

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 6 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5221

I doubt the camera is even designed to image the sun without being wrecked.
Though sunrise from Mercury orbit would be quite a sight (and without protection, one's last).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.