2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Titan's Caspian Sea
volcanopele
post May 23 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

A new RADAR image of a portion of Titan's "Caspian Sea" was just publically released:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA09211

I have to say, this is an incredible view. The first thing I though of was how much it looked like the coastline in the Pacific Northwest.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 23 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Sweet! That's some truly radar dark stuff, the sea ought to be pretty darn deep at least in this view. Practically no RADAR backscatter, apart from instrument noise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tty
post May 23 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 23 2007, 08:50 PM) *
The first thing I though of was how much it looked like the coastline in the Pacific Northwest.

I must beg to differ. The pacific northwest is a typical ex-glaciated fjord coast. This looks much more like a ria coastline where rising sealevels has invaded a flattish landscape with a subdued drainage pattern. The coast of Virginia and North Carolina minus the barrier islands would in me opinion be a better parallell. In any case there is probably not enough energy to form barrier islands on Titan.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 23 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 23

While geologically the eastern coast of the US may provide a better analog, I think the coast in the Pacific Northwest provides a better visual analog, given the sharper topography.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 23 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That is just jaw droppingly good.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 23 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1345

Beautiful! I am amazed at how rugged the coastline and islands appear! Total Fractal-land!

Wave erosion must be minimal to keep the margin looking so sharp. Or else we are seeing a landscape that is more flooded than normal.

Here are some interesting landscape comparisions on Earth:

Dalmatian coast : 43 degrees 52' N, 15 degrees 13' E
Turkish coast: 37 degrees 15' N, 27 degrees 32; E
Serifos Island (Greece - a good example of a fractal island): 37 degrees 10' N, 24 degrees 28' E

(Google Earth Scavenger hunt! Can anyone find a perfect match for the landscape around the lakes or islands?)

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 23 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Too right, Doug...I think that RADAR might be the best possible focus of the extended mission after all...

Tty, I share VP's opinion on my first impression here...first thing I thought of was the British Columbian/southeast Alaskan coastline. Your mechanism sounds a lot more plausible, though, given the fact that the West Coast of North America is very tectonically active in addition to the previous glaciation. The only thing I'm uncertain about is erosion rates.

The Carolina coast has relatively gentle contours because there is a relatively low level of tectonic activity, so wind, rain, and the ocean have smoothed things out faster than new rough topographic features can form.

Given all that, how can we reconcile this image with possible Titanian erosion rates? (I'm definitely not ready to postulate tectonics or glaciers of some bizarre composition here, and the rest of the moon makes me think that erosion moves pretty fast most places...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 23 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 499

Wow, that has to be one of the most impressive titan picture yet! Does anyone know where this fits in compared to earlier images of this sea?
Edit: Oh, i see there is a map in an other thread. The "Caspian sea" is really huge!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 23 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 523

See here for an approximate location.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post May 23 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1345

Another potential Earth Analog: Near Uwajima (JP): 33 degrees 11' N; 133 degrees 30' E.

Fractal coastline, (steep mountain valleys plunging into the sea), little coastal smoothing (protected waters - little or no wave action). [I dont think glaciers affected this landscape, no long straight bores done by an advancing river of ice.]

If these analogies are correct, I'll wager that the corresponding seashore on Titan is pretty steep!
(The Coastal Plain of the Carolinas is "flat as a flyswatter").

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Pavel
post May 23 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 429

Indeed very similar.
Google map link

+Quote Post
David
post May 24 2007, 01:48 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 56

That's absolutely fantastic, and it gives me a totally crazy idea. There's been a lot of talk about sending a balloon to Titan and having it drift around getting sub-cloud images of the landscape, obviously covering a lot more area than even a wheeled rover could.

But would it be possible to drop a floating probe into one of these lakes, and have it sail, or at least drift -- covering a good deal of area, and (hopefully) getting a good view of the coasts? It would be nice to have it be able to crawl up on land (or at least push off from it) if it fetched up on an island, but that's perhaps too much to ask. Still, I think it would be very cool if the liquid regions of Titan could be utilized for getting around much larger portions of the moon's surface than a land vehicle could hope to do.

+Quote Post
Pavel
post May 24 2007, 02:11 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 429

Just two words:
Purgatory Reef blink.gif

+Quote Post
mchan
post May 24 2007, 03:24 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 476

It would be pretty cool to be stuck for a short while in a reef if it's coral. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post May 24 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #15

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

I'm really looking forward to seeing the names that will be applied to the lakes, seas, and islands of this region as mapping improves over the course of the extended mission(s). This is geography we can quickly identify with, and a treasure trove of terrestrial lake names are waiting to be attached to these features...will the seas be called "Mare"? What of the islands? "Facula" need not apply here.

-Droppin' bank in the swear jar, yo. Klink. laugh.gif

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.