Colour images from varying illumination
Fran Ontanaya
post Oct 30 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4350

I thought it could be amusing to try this:

Attached Image

It's a composite of rear hazcams from sols 1256, 1264 and 1268 with enhanced, unaltered colors. Oppy didn't move during those days, and took images of the storm at roughly the same time each sol. Since tau was changing, the color of the ambient light must have been different in each one --apparently enough to distinguish the blueberries and some bright rover pieces, and perhaps the sky and the dust too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Oct 30 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

I don't follow you. The hazcams are panchromatic imagers and any color you see here can only be due to:
1) contrast stretch differences
2) moving shadows

You simply cannot judge anything about the color of ambient light based on monochrome images from 3 sols.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I would echo UG's comment. Any inference of 'colour' from Hazcam (or indeed Navcam) is pure fiction.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 30 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 542

Hang on a minute - I think this does make sense. If you illuminate something with three different colours of ambient light surely you can make some kind of pseudo-colour image. Isn't that how the Phoenix scoop camera works?

+Quote Post
hortonheardawho
post Oct 30 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 799

Very clever Fran.

It will be interesting to use the Radiometrically Calibrated images to do this exercise when they are available.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 30 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I agree with Nigel. Depending on sun angle, the illuminating light would be filtered. High up in the Earth sky, it's white (well, yellow-white + the blue scattered illumination from the sky). Lower down, the light would be yellowish as more blue light gets scattered away. And then right at sunset, the light is that golden yellow.

So I suppose you could try to recombine the images knowing the illumination wavelength.

Heck, you might even be able to dig out spectral information. (Not much, since you are only varying illumination source wavelength, not detector wavelength.) At the best you might be able to say: "That object must be reddish since it stays brighter when the sun is lower in the sky, that object must be bluish since it gets much darker when the sun is lower in the sky."

Didn't they use this kind of analysis when looking at Huygens descent images?

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Oct 30 2008, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Oct 30 2008, 05:23 PM) *
I thought it could be amusing to try this:

It's a composite of rear hazcams from sols 1256, 1264 and 1268

Interesting Idea: this way the three different tau ambient light conditions could possibly act like three different "filters", thus producing albeit not a true color image (of course) but still could potentially reveal interesting information as a false color image.

However, i do suspect that the different "tau-filters" would just reflect differences in overall brightness, thus unfortunately not revealing much additional "spectral structure".

To test this hypothesis I did a quick principal component analysis (PCA)

on the composite image's color space which shows that the additional "filtes" do indeed not reveal any significant additioanl "intrinsic" dimensions to the data other than the 1-dimensional brighness information.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 30 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Oct 30 2008, 01:22 PM) *
To test this hypothesis I did a quick principal component analysis (PCA) on the composite image's color space which shows that the additional "filters" do indeed not reveal any significant additional "intrinsic" dimensions to the data other than the 1-dimensional brightness information.

Wow! Nice work!

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 30 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Founder

QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 30 2008, 05:20 PM) *
If you illuminate something with three different colours of ambient light

Yup - you do. Unless someone has installed street lighting......

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 31 2008, 01:58 AM
Post #10

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

The effect might be subtle but I can see how differing tau levels would change the distribution of flux intensity at various frequencies. Certainly as Tau increases the overall color cast would tend towards "reddish" due to the increase in flux from light reflected from atmospheric dust vs the low tau scenario where the overwhelming majority of incident flux is unimpeded direct solar insolation.

The change from low tau (0.5) to high tau (2.0) changes the ambient light from a 90:10 ratio of direct unimpeded solar flux( "clear" or to be more accurate flux that has a frequency distribution that comes from our own dear Sun): reflected diffuse flux ("reddish" or whatever color reflected solar flux from martian atmospheric dust tends to be) to something closer to a 50:50 ratio.

So if you take a panchromatic image under the 90:10 illumination regime and compare it to a panchromatic image taken under the 50:50 regime then you will see different details.

Edited to add: I see Nirgal's point but I can't comment on the limits it places in our ability to see real variation between images taken under varying flux regimes as I haven't done the numbers on this one. That said I'm happy to accept that the effect is may be too subtle to detect given the 8bit contrast scale we're working with on these images but I think it should be plausible even if it is undetectable in the images in question.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Oct 31 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #11

Real or not, it can be gorgeous. Spirit landing raw composite:

Attached Image

I've got a couple of pictures more, but this is already off-topic. laugh.gif

Yes, it is very off-topic - Moderator

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 31 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Oct 31 2008, 12:50 PM) *
Yes, it is very off-topic - Moderator

Ture, but this is an interesting idea, and that one of the lander is lovely whatever it really shows, great work Fran.

Split to a new thread.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Oct 31 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 347

Interesting indeed. It really seems to work to some degree, somewhat like an image made with just an orange and a cyan filter. Perhaps with some calibration and comparison with RGB images the color effect can be calibrated and/or confirmed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Oct 31 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #14

The lander one is mostly or completely a lighting artifact.

The following composites are 600 days apart and both in the solar panel shadows, so they receive scattered light only.
In both, one cable has apparently a distinct hue. Saturation is stretched, though, and the jpeg artifacts are awful.

Attached Image

I googled around but I only found this picture with cables being manipulated in the back side (large version):

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/detail.cfm?mediaid=18868

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 31 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #15

Founder

QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Oct 30 2008, 04:23 PM) *
enhanced, unaltered

Isn't that something of an oxymoron?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.