Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lunar Impact
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Dec 23 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Guests

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/22...lunartaurid.htm

NASA scientists have observed an explosion on the moon. The blast, equal in energy to about 70 kg of TNT, occurred near the edge of Mare Imbrium (the Sea of Rains) on Nov. 7, 2005, when a 12-centimeter-wide meteoroid slammed into the ground traveling 27 km/s.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Dec 24 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Dec 23 2005, 02:55 PM)
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/22...lunartaurid.htm

NASA scientists have observed an explosion on the moon. The blast, equal in energy to about 70 kg of TNT, occurred near the edge of Mare Imbrium (the Sea of Rains) on Nov. 7, 2005, when a 12-centimeter-wide meteoroid slammed into the ground traveling 27 km/s.

Does anyone have an exact time (hour and minute) for this lunar impact?

Thank you.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Dec 26 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 384

Cooke estimates that the impact gouged a crater in the moon's surface "about 3 meters wide and 0.4 meters deep." As moon craters go, that's small. "Even the Hubble Space Telescope couldn't see it," notes Cooke. The moon is 384,400 km away. At that distance, the smallest things Hubble can distinguish are about 60 meters wide.

That wouldn’t be a problem for Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiters cameras with resolution of .5 meters especially considering that there would be some bright ejecta scattered around…if they can pinpoint location of that impact crater.
They should find more fresh impacts like this…
"The flash we saw," says Suggs, "was about as bright as a 7th magnitude star." That's two and a half times dimmer than the faintest star a person can see with their unaided eye, but it was an easy catch for the group's 10-inch telescope.

This isn't the first time meteoroids have been seen hitting the moon. During the Leonid meteor storms of 1999 and 2001, amateur and professional astronomers witnessed at least half-a-dozen flashes ranging in brightness from 7th to 3rd magnitude. Many of the explosions were photographed simultaneously by widely separated observers.

Does anybody knows how big crater would be one that was seen as 3rt magnitude flash?

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 7 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 430

Paper: astro-ph/0601094
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 03:34:52 GMT (296kb)

Title: High-Resolution Simulations of a Moon-Forming Impact and Post-Impact
Evolution

Authors: Keiichi Wada (1), Eiichiro Kokubo (1) and Junichiro Makino (2) ((1)
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, (2) University of Tokyo)

Comments: ApJ 638, Feb. 20 in press
\\
In order to examine the ``giant impact hypothesis'' for the Moon formation,
we run the first grid-based, high-resolution hydrodynamic simulations for an
impact between proto-Earth and a proto-planet. The spatial resolution for the
impact-generated disk is greatly improved from previous particle-based
simulations. This allows us to explore fine structures of a circumterrestrial
debris disk and its long-term evolution. We find that in order to form a debris
disk from which a lunar-sized satellite can be accumulated, the impact must
result in a disk of mostly liquid or solid debris, where pressure is not
effective, well before the accumulation process starts. If the debris is
dominated by vapor gas, strong spiral shocks are generated, and therefore the
circumterrestrial disk cannot survive more than several days. This suggests
that there could be an appropriate mass range for terrestrial planets to harbor
a large moon as a result of giant impacts, since vaporization during an impact
depends on the impact energy.

\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0601094 , 296kb)

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 7 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #5

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 26 2005, 06:12 PM)
Does anybody knows how big crater would be one that was seen as 3rt magnitude flash?

using the data given.
12 cm diameter (6cm radius) object impacting the moon at 27km/sec produces a 3mx0.4m crater. The impact energy released is given as 70kg of TNT and this produced a 7th magnitude flash.

Assume that the flash brightness will be directly proportional to the energy released.
A 3rd magnitude flash is approximately 40x as bright as a 7th magnitude flash.
Quick back of the envelope calc.
Since the energy released is closely approximated by the kinetic energy of the object (mass x vel^2) and the mass of the object is proportional to the cube of the radius (4/3 x pi x radius^3) then the radius of an object that would cause a 3rd magnitude flash is approximately 6cm times the cube root of 40, ie ~20.5cm. Assuming identical materials.

Using The LPL Crater Size page to check this I can approximately reproduce the 70kg of TNT value for a 12cm diameter icy body impacting at 45 degrees into loose sand (that yields 78kg of TNT). Increasing the impactor diameter to 41cm I get a yield of 3140kg of TNT which is ~40x the original.
This calculator doesn't quite agree with the crater size given in the article - I get a 5.6m diameter crater for the original and a 15m diameter crater for the impact that would yield a 3rd magnitude flash.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.