IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Soil/Ground Temperature
Guest_Maximus_*
post Jun 30 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #1

Guests

Q: Would the maximum temperature of the ground (near the surface) on mars be lower or higher than the maximum temperature of the atmosphere?

I would guess that it would be lower. Assuming high temperature fluctuations, the amount of time it takes for the ground to "warm" up is too long. Does anyone for for sure?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Jul 1 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

Yes. (See figure 4.)

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Jul 1 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1563

I would have said no (ground is warmer) because the atmosphere absorbs at lot less of the suns radiation than the ground does. I only skimmed through the paper but it looks to me like the temperature graphs are air temperatures at different hights above the ground, not direct readings of ground temperatures. I believe viking did measure ground temperature directly and found it ten to fifteen kelvin warmer than the air, but I can't find the results. Could someone with more knowledge confirm this or set me straight?

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 1 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #4

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Yes, I think temperature on the ground is hotter during day and colder during night.
Some google result of a model:
http://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/odakker/wor...ish/1drisan.htm
(see lowest right plot)

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 1 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 321

TES measurements of ground temperatures indicate a maximum ground temperature much higher than the highest temperature measured off-ground by Viking and Pathfinder.

Pathfinder measured temperatures at different altitudes and the lower the thermometer, the higher the maximum temperature. I don't think there's any conclusion other than that the ground is the *cause* of that, and is therefore warmer than the air a few centimeters above the ground.

I think the gist is that the cooling you would experience ascending from the surface of the Earth is greatly exaggerated on Mars. A few decimeters on Mars give you the same cooling-off that you would experience with a climb of a kilometer on Earth.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 1 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 542

A thin layer of warm air immediately above a sunbaked surface is commonplace on Earth as the cause of the mirage. Presumably the air is heated faster than convection can remove it upward. It would not be surprising if the same thing happened around midday on Mars. I would expect it to be a very near-surface effect, reversed at night, and more or less independent of the thermal structure of the atmosphere as a whole.

+Quote Post
dburt
post Jul 1 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1555

Don't forget dust devils that form during the day, owing to a warmer ground surface, and thermal inertia of solid rocks that, like concrete, stay warm long after sunset.

-- HDP Don

+Quote Post
Doc
post Jul 2 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3978

QUOTE (dburt @ Jul 2 2008, 12:06 AM) *
Don't forget dust devils that form during the day, owing to a warmer ground surface, and thermal inertia of solid rocks that, like concrete, stay warm long after sunset.

-- HDP Don

And that explains the reason why we probably dont see dust devils at Meridiani let alone extremely sandy areas I suppose.

You need rocky areas or sparsly rocky areas like Gusev where warmed rocks are ready to provide energy for dust devils to form.

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jul 3 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #9

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Do dust devils not form on sand dunes? I would think that are the right time of the year or even day, depending on the sand dune direction relative to the sun, the sun-facing parts would be warmed, while the away-facing parts would be much cooler due to the this atmosphere, causing a convection that could lead to dust devils.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:26 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.